Digital Music & Technology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Digital Music & Technology

I shop in That's Entertainment quite a but, it's good for CD's that have been out a while.

I've only downloaded songs that are hard to get elsewhere. A year ago I got all of Kraftwerk's singles from Amazon download as you can't get a greatest hits by them.
    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

It's strange but it always used to be the case that we put stuff on shelves as a statement of who we are and what we like.

People would visit and have a peek at your books, videos and CDs on the shelf. They knew that you knew that they were making some kind of judgement based on your eclectic taste in Bob Dylan, Stephen King, Wayne's World and Run DMC (or whatever). I confess I even used to deliberately arrange certain books, albums and DVD's to make a certain impression.

Collecting was cool. We would collect a set of CDs, or vinyl, or books by one artist or author, (such a Kraftwerk, maybe) and enjoy arranging them so that the spines matched and looked good on a shelf. I wonder if we are the last generation to really do this.

That all seems to be disappearing with the latest generation - with digital downloads, suddenly it's cool NOT to have stuff on shelves. Books, CDs and DVDs are seen as junk/clutter. I just can't get around that.

Comment

Actually, I have just discovered amazon's new "Autorip" service - get a free Digital download of CDs purchased on amazon. Seems a pretty good idea to me, promoting the best of both worlds.

Comment

Love the convenience of music downloads but I could never give up books, and I'm not yet convinced that E Readers will have the same impact as ipods.

Comment

Still going into That's Entertainment, last Sunday bought the new Temples album, A House of Love album and one of The Views albums.

Comment

Too many people see it as an either/or situation which it shouldn't be. I love my spotify and would get rid of the tele before it but I still have some vinyl (mainly the stuff I never thought would come out on CD). There is a snobbiness with some with the quality, again one format is not better than the other (Vinyl Vs digital that is.....tapes was only ever for cars and for convenience when the walkman was invented). Motown will always sound better on Vinyl, Metronomy sound better on digital.

There is an argument that music streaming costs the artist as they get a lot less than if I bought their music however there are many artisits who have got my tiny little bit whereas before, without streaming, it's unlikely they'd have got anything. I can try so much more than I could beforehand which also leads on to lgoing to see them live. The advent of music streaming has got me back into music after a few years of not really being interested because I just couldn't afford to get anywhere near what I wanted, now it's all there and more.

Comment

Vinyl for me primarily where possible, love the quality especially a good 12" single from the 80s, much better in many cases than a poorly remastered and noise-gated CD reissue. MP3 is fine for portable use (320k quality) and for recording and storing my vinyls onto the PC I archive as WAV format.
                For the mainstream listeners vinyl generally didn't sound that great on a cheap nasty music system but on a proper hi-fi it really shows it's true colours.
                Provided it's properly looked after of course!

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                  the records that didn't make single status were just as good.
                  It wasn't a record or single but Sun And Steel on Iron Maiden's Piece Of Mind Album deserves to be a top selling single
                  WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chris-T View Post
                    Vinyl for me primarily where possible, love the quality especially a good 12" single from the 80s, much better in many cases than a poorly remastered and noise-gated CD reissue. MP3 is fine for portable use (320k quality) and for recording and storing my vinyls onto the PC I archive as WAV format.
                    For the mainstream listeners vinyl generally didn't sound that great on a cheap nasty music system but on a proper hi-fi it really shows it's true colours.
                    Provided it's properly looked after of course!
                    A german software publisher called Magix (I've got some of their software and they're a good publisher) do Viynyl to MP3 software
                    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Due to the association with the Nazis/racism.violence Sknhead OI bands are only available on Youtube which is a pity as some of these bands don't mention anything to do with race or violence in the lyrics.
                      I blame the makers of Made in Britain for using UK82 as the theme for getting into skinhead music.
                      WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X