The Ghettoblaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ghettoblaster

Did you have one? How big was yours? Did you carry it everywhere with you?

Ours(My brothers by rights) was quite a modest one, infact in comparison with some of the beasts you saw in the local park (where i was lucky enough to live) it was quite tame.
    Time was in the 80's you could not go for a walk in the park with out seeing groups of teenagers surrounding one.
    From Punks and Mods to Rockers and Teeny Boppers surely a machine owned by all???
    Last edited by Heather74; 13-03-2008, 00:50.
    Heather

Re: The Ghettoblaster

Mine wasn't too big but you had to put new batteries in about every thirty minutes when played at my fav volume ------ full blast!

Comment

I had one in the mid eighties but as i lived in a relatively small village i was the only one who ever carried it around outside. My mates and me would spend many an hour in the local park listening to Queen at full blast before being chased off by stick wielding New Forest yokels.

Comment

I bet he now wonders why his shoulder gives him jip!!
        Heather

Comment

today's I-Pod teens must be gobsmacked when they see images like that!
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Way back then - size definately DID matter
            Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
            <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Still got my first ever ghettoblaster made by Sharp. Then I upgraded to this

Mine was the newer version. Remember being in the park with mates and blastering this out.

Oh and if anyone wondering why I haven`t been online for awhile coz I`ve been travelling.
              Last edited by yelever; 18-03-2008, 08:21.

Comment

Traveling eh ?? Lucky you - and welcome back
                Joybee - DYR SUPERGRAN !!
                <<< why not visit our main website

Comment

Errrrmmm thanx for the welcome back but still travelling lol. In Texas right now.

Comment

Anyone had this one?

I know in England there was one similar made by proline but didnt have the lights, one of my mates had the proline one.

Had a few others along the way. Remember getting a Murphy one from the cataloge and wanted it coz is had detachable speakers, using it once and sending it back because the sound was terrible then re-ordering the Phillips one they had with the detachable speakers and keeping it so I could tie it to the handle bars of my bike. Wasn`t bad for 60 quid in the late 80`s.
                    Last edited by yelever; 18-03-2008, 13:06.

Comment

I had my first ghettoblaster in 1983 and I'm now a collector of these wonderful machines, I have around 20 at present.

Yelever, the one you pictured is the Breakdancer Discolite, famous for it's very poor sound quality amongst collectors. These machines were fetching big money on ebay recently after one was featured in Madonna's Hung Up video.

Huggie 74, the one in your post on the guy's shoulder is the Conion C-100F, a collectors holy grail!

Comment

Here's mine

Comment

That's a nice Philips you got there Daz, and in superb condition!

Comment

I can't remember the make of my first one. My dad wasn't very brand orientated so after spending my time ogling the likes of Sony and JVC (you could tell the decent ones, they were metal tape compatible) I ended up with some terrible Japanese make whilst one of my mates got a decent one so we used to go round his house to listen to music.

I did eventually get a JVC one when I started working part time. CD, graphic eq and detachable speakers. Cost me nearly £400 in the late 80s. Graphic eq got knackered by a snowball. My bro in law had the Hitachi one earlier in the thread.
                            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

I had a Toshiba in 1984 - it used 6 DType batteries and played tapes, the quality was great and still works perfectly now! Mind you the colour scheme was black and red bit dated now, but my friend had a silver and blue one and that lives on too!

Comment

Working...
                              X