Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Radio

My earliest memory of radio is from the early 70s. My Mum used to have Piccadilly radio (a local staion) playing in the morning when i was getting ready for school. Tunes that stuck in my head from that era were Part of the union, The Strawbs, Without you, Nilsson and Close to you, The Carpenters.My first tranny was a Tom and Jerry one which didn't work very well. I used to listen to the top 40 on Sunday and Timmy (Mallett) on the tranny in the early 80s and in later years used to fall asleep listening to the James Stannage phone in. Can't stand much radio these days though. My Wife has Century on in the car in the morning and at night when we are on the way home. Everytime it's on at the moment they only seem to play Robbie Williams or Take That. I much preferred it when they had split up.
    "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
      Dis anyone else used to tune in to the police radio? There'd be a series of beeps and then some talking, just like Starsky and Hutch in your own bedroom
      Yes, Herr. My freind and I used to do that too! But then someone said we were bad boys because it was illegal and if we were caught, goodness knows what would happen! Not sure if this was true, but it sure stopped us from tuning in!

(Is there no lol smiley?)

Comment

Chessy grin is about as close to a LOL.

Yes I heard the same stuff, so it must have been true
        The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Grunwald View Post
          Dis anyone else used to tune in to the police radio? There'd be a series of beeps and then some talking, just like Starsky and Hutch in your own bedroom

ooh yeh I'd forgotten all about that HG.....came across them by accident as you tuned the dial....how did it happen....how come they weren't scrambled??

parents in bed, me under the covers in mine, secretly tuned in to the one & only Radio Luxembourg...ahh bliss!
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Growing up in London is was Radio 1 and Capital for music, but my first little radio was an alarm-clock radio, and I used to love waking up to the news on LBC. It was so melodramatic! Also, Tommy Boyd on Sunday nights and the "Night Trek" game where he gave out cryptic clues about London locations and you had to figure out where it was and follow it like a treasure hunt.

There were a couple of pirate stations, too in the early 80s that on Fridays played really early hip-hop. I remember Westwood on LWR before he sounded like an idiot, and there was a great show on Capital that did the hip-hop charts from some record shop in Soho.

I do remember listening to the Grumbleweeds, too, and then the first 30 minutes of Brian Matthews before bedtime.

I used to have all the episodes of Victor Lewis-Smith's radio one show, too, but those went missing during a move, and early Mary Whitehouse Experience (still listen to the podcasts of the Now Show from them, which is basically the same thing)...

So... 275 and 285 Radio One. Simon Mayo's sign off to Mark Goodyear's show ("Goodie-bags, goodie-bags, Mark-Mark Goodie-bags!"), Radio Two comedy, Capital Radio hip-hop, Lazer 558 for the Dr. Demento show and always closing out the night with Thank You For The Music by Abba, was able to get Chiltern Radio for a while, which was weird, LBC for news and talk and the legendary "Big red building in Petticoat Lane" and Pearl capital accumulator plan ads that ran constantly on it, and, yes... The police. I never managed to get any good information on the police channels, but by the time they were moved out of range of regular radios, I knew what all the "IC" numbers meant.
            Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Originally posted by ridski View Post
              ...I used to love waking up to the news on LBC. It was so melodramatic! Also, Tommy Boyd on Sunday nights and the "Night Trek" game where he gave out cryptic clues about London locations and you had to figure out where it was and follow it like a treasure hunt...
              Your post really took me back! I lived about 25 miles SW of London but picked up LBC very well. I was a huge fan of the station and of the Tommy Boyd show you mention. He used do do strange make-believe things didn't her? I'm sure he did a whole programme where he had supposedly climbed on top of the building and was doing the show from there. (Don't quote me, because he also did a show from the old Southern Sound in Brighton, in about 1986, so I could be mixing it up.)

Other highlights on LBC: ...I never missed Jenny Lacey's Nightline, she was a terrific braodcaster, and I loved the eccentric Monty Modlin. I think Jeremy Beadle did a show too, calling himself Jeremy-James-Anthony-Gibson-Beadlebum.

Memories of listening to all of this curled up in my bed, secure and content with my lot. I wonder how much of that is a case of 'rose-tinted spectacles'?

And the LBC theme and ident jingles were always brilliant.

Comment

anyone remember radio sweden and the creepy jingle they used to play?

Comment

I used to listen to Radio Luxembourg in bed, remember Stuart and Ollie Henry very well!! Powerplay and adverts for Cuticura Athletes foot powder stand out for me!!
                  ...chilli...

Comment

It was always adverts for Silvikrin I remember

Comment

I can still hear Jimmy Young in the seventies on Radio 2 (?) saying, "This is Jimmy Y saying 'BFN - Bye For Now!'"
                      "Me fail English? That's unpossible!"

Comment

I remember listening to steptoe and son on the radio also the late night phone in's on radio trent.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steveffisher View Post
                          I can still hear Jimmy Young in the seventies on Radio 2 (?) saying, "This is Jimmy Y saying 'BFN - Bye For Now!'"
                          What's the recipe today Jim?

Comment

I first remember listening in the 1980s to Radio 1 & Picadilly Radio, which eventually split so the pop was on FM as Key 103, with the AM keeping the older music.

My Dad got an auto tune car radio which somehow used to pick up minicab radio when searching for a stong station, but often you could here half a converstation.

These days I normally listen to Smooth Radio & Imagine FM, with occasional listens to Radio 2 & Key 103.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

And 6 years later here comes a reply!
                              I am a keen Short Wave listener also. Do you remember those funny number stations on the Short Wave?

Comment

It seems I am not the only person to have sneeked a radio up to bed.Always used to listen to the hip stations,but after about 10.00pm tuned into radio 2 as they had a whole variety of diffrent music to the mass of the stations at that time.Jazz,blues,folk,etc.Think they still have these various music nights even today.Had to have the radio down low with my ear pushed right up against it so parants did not hear it.That would of been in the very late 70's and early 80's.The chart rundown was possibly the most important event of the week and everybody worth their salt had to listen to it just to be on the button.Before I had my own radio unfortunatly I had to listen to what my parants wanted or thought I should be listening to thrust down my throat....shudders.The music was so varied and eclectic that I ingested at times it makes me wonder why in my late teens I became so narrow minded over what I liked and did not.

Comment

Working...
                                X