keyboards (of the musical kind)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keyboards (of the musical kind)

Did anyone else go through the keyboard craze? I remember one Christmas, possibly 1988, where a keyboard was on everyone's wish list. Me and my best friend both got the same model, the Yamaha PSS170, after spying it in the Argos catalogue.

It played 'I like you just the way you are' automatically to demonstrate all the sounds and drum beats it could make. It had 100 noises! I remember we were blown away by the amazingness of this!

Of course we couldn't play them and never did learn. Our music teacher set up a keyboard club which lasted 5 minutes - everybody gave up after a couple of weeks. Couldn't be bothered to lug the thing into school. The best I could do was chop sticks and the theme tune from The Clothes Show.
    1976 Vintage

Re: keyboards (of the musical kind)

I started learning the piano around eight years old and remember the first keyboards I bought in the early 80s. I loved all the weird and wonderful effects they could produce.

I work in a school now. You've made me wonder about a keyboard club!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamaha-pss-170__22811214_0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	259751

Ahh this takes me back. Here it is...my pride and joy. I really thought it was the coolest thing I had ever had at the time
      1976 Vintage

Comment

I had a Yamaha with a basic sound sampling system, I never managed to play on it much but recording a second or 2 off speech & being able to play it back at varying speeds was fun.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Bontempi!

Before the Yamaha I had a tiny Bontempi organ. It was beige, didn't have a power lead and took four of those big fat batteries so naturally it didn't get a lot of use! All the power went on the fan. That's what I remember about it the most, flicking the on switch and that couple of seconds when the fan would start up ....hmmmMMMMMM! It was pretty loud.
          1976 Vintage

Comment

Ah! I had the exact same wheezy beige Bontempi.. world's noisiest fan

Comment

i first heard autobahn by kraftwerk when i was a nipper, it was one of the most important events of my life, i have loved synths and weird electronic noise since then and have owned several steamy old pieces of gear and some nasty home keyboards up to a couple of years ago when i got rid of my SCI 6 tracs

I started with a bontempi crappy brown box
              I got a casio vl tone which was basically a musical calculator
              Then swapped for a casio vl 5
              then i moved up to,
              casio pt 30
              casio mt 40
              yamaha cs1 and cs2
              yamaha cs 5
              yamaha cs 15
              ARP Quadra
              yamaha Dx7
              Sequential Circuits Pro 1 (made famous by vince clark of dep mode and yazoo fame)
              Sequential Circuits 6tracs.

I now own none but i do have a lot of VSTsoftware based synths and sequencers as they take up less space and less prone to dying suddenly and drifting out of tune.
              I want my old pt30 back, had fond memories of it and i had customised it with a paint job.

Comment

I inherited a Giacaggaglia organ when I was 7. It used to belong to my great Aunt and I used to love the sounds it made.
                From then on I progressed to-
                Casio PT10
                Casio SA-1 ToneBank(wish I still had it)
                Yamaha PSS 130
                Yamaha PSS 270
                Yamaha DJX(1st version)

Spent the years between 1999 and 2008 learning and playing the bagpipes! Went back to synths last year as they are less complicated and sound better!

Roland JX10 Super
                E-mu Longboard
                Akai Miniak

Looking for a Yamaha DX7 at the moment as I just love the sound of the 'Tubular Bells' patch!

Comment

Oh I have owned so much gear I could open a shop!

Synths have included..

Korg Poly 800
                  Korg Ex 800
                  Roland JX3P
                  Korg Microkorg
                  Yamaha CS1
                  Yamaha CS2
                  Yamaha AN1 X
                  Yamaha RM1X
                  Korg T3
                  Korg Prophecy
                  Korg M1 (my favorite)
                  Alesis Quadrasynth
                  Korg DSS1
                  Roland JX
                  Jen SX1000
                  Roland RS09
                  Yamaha SY22
                  Yamaha SY55
                  Yamaha TG55
                  Quasimidi Raveolution
                  Quasimidi Sirius
                  Sequential Circuits Sixtrak
                  Ensoniq ESQ1

amongst many others

Comment

I remember kids at school bringing in their old mini casio keyboards was it the casiotone? I'm not sure but I think it was used by Kraftwerk on da da da for it's tinny little rock beat.

Edit: just found it it was the vl tone

Last edited by Paulos; 22-06-2012, 10:07.
                    sigpic

Comment

Da Da Da was by Trio, though Kraftwerk did use Speak & Spell for Computerworld.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

OMD also used a Speak & Spell on Genetic Engineering. Those little old Casio keyboards were great fun and seem to have a bit of a cult following these days.

Comment

Kraftwerk used the BeeGees rhythm machine. used to have one myself, along with the Casio VL

Comment

Originally posted by tonyfinster View Post
                            i do have a lot of VSTsoftware based synths and sequencers as they take up less space and less prone to dying suddenly and drifting out of tune.
                            I want my old pt30 back, had fond memories of it and i had customised it with a paint job.
                            You've got Magix Music Maker 2013 haven't You? That has a few VST plugns and lets you use your computer's keyboard like a music keyboard but my keyboard's a forty five quid USB M-audio Keystation 32 Mini with downloadable free software.
                            WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

My parents bought a Casio keyboard for me. I wanted one after watching Adamski on some music programme or the other when the single Killer was released.

Comment

Working...
                              X