• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What car did you learn to drive in?

My Mum's Volkswagen Derby

Comment

My dad taught me to drive so we used his Ford Fiesta ... to this day my ears still ring with his cries of "Anna! Anna! USE THE CLUTCH!"

Comment

Had all nine of my lessons in a BSM Triumph Dolomite and was planning to do my test in it. Unfortunately, the morning of my test I was told someone had crashed the Dolly and I had a brief 45 minutes to get used to a mini Metro, with its tiny cramped pedals and totally different control layout. Amazingly (well to me anyway), I passed first time.

Comment

Datsun 180
          sigpic
          Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

I learned to drive in a 1978 'S' reg Triumph Dolomite--sadly a 1300 rather than a Sprint . That was my instructor's car. My dad had a 1968 'F' reg Ford Corsair 2000E at the time and he would take me out in it a couple of times each week. BTW when learning to drive--1979--a lesson cost me £3.00 for an hour.

Comment

Started my lessons in Datsun Cherrys, passed the test in a Nissan Sunny
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

First car I learned to drive in was a Volkswagen. I can't remember what model except it ran on diesel. I failed my test the first time. I can't remember what car I passed my test in, on the second test. I think it was a Datsun.
                Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Our family car at the time was a beaten-up Aussie 1100...
                  Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

3 wheeler Reliant.

Comment

Originally posted by fynger View Post
                      3 wheeler Reliant.
                      Was it yellow like del boys van

Comment

lol....nope...black

Comment

A huge Vauxhall Carlton ...

Comment

A BSM Triumph Toledo. Had only had 8 lessons and when I turned up for a 1-hour lesson before taking my test, I was told the Toledo had been crashed that morning and I would have to switch to a Metro for both my lesson and the test. I recall the indicator stalks were on the other side, there was very little leg room for my 6ft 3" frame and the Metro's pedals felt too close together for my size 12 feet. Amazingly I passed. Will never forget the precise date, because it was palindromic: 18/8/81.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartimand View Post
                              A BSM Triumph Toledo. Had only had 8 lessons and when I turned up for a 1-hour lesson before taking my test, I was told the Toledo had been crashed that morning and I would have to switch to a Metro for both my lesson and the test. I recall the indicator stalks were on the other side, there was very little leg room for my 6ft 3" frame and the Metro's pedals felt too close together for my size 12 feet. Amazingly I passed. Will never forget the precise date, because it was palindromic: 18/8/81.
                              Funny you mentioned your test story .... I paid for the hour before my test to get some last minute practice BUT when I was practicing my reversing into a back street ... I knocked over a couple of dustbins ( old grey metal ones ) !!!!
                              So much for boosting my confidence. !

I passed first time though ...

Comment

A little red Vauxhall Corsa with BSM in 1993, the visibility in it was appalling!!

Comment

Working...
                                X