Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ceefax/Teletext Forum,

Interesting Teletext item on ebay

I came across this item on ebay (now finished), and I post it here, as I hope to start a discussion on an item of which I am rather unfamiliar with: the 'early' Teletext Reader.

It would be interesting if those here who have more knowledge of the history of the teletext reader pass on said knowledge. I am now fascinated with this (stand alone) item and would be intrigued to find out more about early 'readers'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140691436846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4...

Comment

I'd check ceefax for everything, i still remember 340-cricket, 302-football, 370-rugby. Screw the internet ....... D'oh!

Comment

Haha Little Britain's greatest moment- "Ceefax the Musical"

"page 199 index, page 302 football headlines..."
        I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

Ceefax was mentioned on The Graham Norton Show last week - the guests were Ewan McGregor, Cate Blanchett, Michael Sheen and Matt Lucas. There was mention of the lego style illustrations on the different pages such as the sun for the weather page. Here's an early seasonal message...

"She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Well, thats it.

As of 6am, Ceefax not longer exists. After 38 years. Very sad.

Anyone else stay up to 6am (I was up for the American football on CH4 to 5am anyway, as today is a day off) to see Ceefax off?.

At 5.57, the sports page changed to a page with CEEFAX 1974-2012: THANKS FOR WATCHING in bright blue, yellow and white, until 6am when it cut to a BBC2 ident.

Comment

quite sad really..........there were so many people that used the facility

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13qT-LlZzCo

Comment

sure is.
                  its been with me all my life until now.

ive been using right up to it went.

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                  quite sad really..........there were so many people that used the facility
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I preferred Teletext to Ceefax, I loved the C4 teletext service with the music section, and the ITV one with the TV section and the holidays.

I only ever bothered with Ceefax to check the weather and the footy scores but once I got my laptop and phone I stopped using it - can understand why people are sad about it going though.

Comment

Originally posted by ayrshireman View Post
                      Interesting Teletext item on ebay
                      I came across this item on ebay (now finished), and I post it here, as I hope to start a discussion on an item of which I am rather unfamiliar with: the 'early' Teletext Reader.

It would be interesting if those here who have more knowledge of the history of the teletext reader pass on said knowledge. I am now fascinated with this (stand alone) item and would be intrigued to find out more about early 'readers'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140691436846?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4...
                      Can't see the picture of that item specifically now, but there were quite a few different Teletext decoders on the market in the mid 1970's following the launch of Ceefax (BBC) and Oracle (ITV). Some were designed to be fitted inside sets, others were standalone set-top boxes. The rapidly expanding microcomputer market a little later saw many add-on Teletext adapters for computers marketed, probably the most well-known of the early-mid 1980's being the one for the BBC Microcomputer, not surprisingly (one of the multiple video modes for the BBC computer emulated the standard Teletext format).

Comment

Commercial for Oracle Teletext:

http://www.tellyads.com/show_movie_v...cle%20Teletext

Comment

Working...
                        X