Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First Job

Originally posted by PWC1973 View Post
    Oh come on stevef you must of scoffed some of those yummy things while working away?
    Unfortunately not.
    "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Apart from the usual holiday jobs(fruit and potato picking) my first real job was as a draughtsman(apprentice) in an architects office for the princely sum of £400 squid a year(yes a year!!!!) My boss would always tell me how lucky I was as previous apprenices had to pay him for the privilage of working with the firm, seemingly common practice to learn a "profession"
      The eyes have it!
      sigpic

Comment

My first proper job was as a cheesemakers assistant, I stayed in the industry for 17 years!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
          My first proper job was as a cheesemakers assistant, I stayed in the industry for 17 years!!
          Blessed are the cheesemakers

Comment

Originally posted by Gothic View Post
            More Cheese Gromit........
            sigpic

Comment

Don't forget the crackers!

Comment

Originally posted by PWC1973 View Post
                More Cheese Gromit........
                Unfortunately never made any Wensleydale, but have made a smashing bit of Cheddar in my time.

Comment

oooh MANX QUEENIES! sorry spiral but its been too long since I had those in a little restaurant down in Douglas. Blowed if I can recall the name of the restaurant but the taste of the garlic soaked queenies........ yumyums!

First job was as a volunteer at the local college for adults with cerebral palsy..... I managed one shift, tipped one guy out of his wheelchair on the street, spilled a bed pan over another... decided to cut and run!

Then as I left school at 16... no 'a' levels allowed as step father insisted I started to pay housekeeping.... started at the local psychiatric hospital on a YTS for £25...... what an education for the young innocent I was! Put me off illegal drugs for life!
                  Then it was off to my local chemist as a pharmacy assistant for £46 a week... Moved into a granny flat for £25 week rent all inclusive.

19th January 1987 I entered th Royal Albert Hospital in Lancaster as a student RNMH and left there for the sunny Manx shores in 1990 as a Registred Nurse Mental Handicap.... 'learning difficulties' is the pc term for the present.
                  And now still using the qualification in Brum.

~*~*~*~*~sighs big fluffy thought balloons of one day opening the breast feeding cafe~*~*~*~*~*~
                  Last edited by MommaMystique; 03-07-2007, 08:19. Reason: premature postage
                  sigpic
                  Mrs Oggy
                  ~~~*~~~*~~~
                  Count your friends amongst the stars....
                  And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

Spiral......ps the restaurant was Galtons or something like that! is the Seepoy Indian in Douglas still there or have Enviromental Health closed the place down?
                    sigpic
                    Mrs Oggy
                    ~~~*~~~*~~~
                    Count your friends amongst the stars....
                    And your enemies on the fingers of one foot!

Comment

left school at christmas 1985, got a job as apprentice welder 21st jan 1996 at a local firm building refrigerated transport
                      Gray and Adams Ltd. manufacturers of refrigerated trailers and bodies :: Home
                      The place was a sweat factory but I stuck it out for 20 years
                      left 21st jan 2006. currently working offshore on oil installation's
                      DON'T TELL HIM YOUR NAME PIKE!!

Comment

My first job was an office junior had all the dirty jobs to do was there 4 months

Comment

My first work experiance was at my local library in september 1993.

At college I had a work placement at a travel company in the same building, I was there about 6 months in 1997, mostly filing paperwork.

My first full time job was for a car insurance company starting on 9/12/1998. I worked there as an admin assistant, it had some good & bad points over the 16 months I was there.
                          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

My first job was as a 'saturday boy' in a local hairdressers. I was 14 and it was 1987 and my wage was £3 a day plus bus fair. I must have been mad!
                            My first real job was on a Y.T.S at Saks in Durham city. It was 1989 and my wage was £29.50 a week plus my travel!
                            Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

1978 I worked Sundays for 4 hours at Preedys in Bewdley (Newsagents) and took home £2 (50p p/h)

First Mon to Fri job was an Assurance Clerk for Sun-Life in Solihull.
                              In 1979 I took home under £200 a month.
                              In 1980, I left, to join the Royal Navy.
                              I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

I never had a paper round. I was on a waiting list and was first reserve so used to get phoned at ridiculous o'clock some mornings because somebody hadn't turned up. Waited 3 years for my own round and by the time one came up I was already working part time at Tesco whilst I was at college. My first pay packet was £17 for 16 hours in August 1983.
                                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Working...
                                X