The Iron Lady

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Iron Lady

I hope i've put this thread in the right place, may-be it is more suited to the Members Lounge, I am unsure. If it was if it could be moved there that 'd be great thanks - though i only put it here cos it's 80s type film etc. What do members think to it, if you ahve seen it? I think Meryl Streep is purley amazing in anything she does - a brill rendition of Maggie T by all acounts i've heard she gave.

Re: The Iron Lady

I hope they make a film of the anguish and despair that woman caused, and not glorify her like this film does, so i'm told . I wont watch it for the same reason as i don't like garlic.... it/she leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.
    WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Originally posted by kevpk View Post
      I hope they make a film of the anguish and despair that woman caused, and not glorify her like this film does, so i'm told . I wont watch it for the same reason as i don't like garlic.... it/she leaves a very nasty taste in my mouth.
      Indeed, I fully know what you mean yeah.

Comment

True. While its probably an interesting film I don't like what she did to the UK.....the legacy of her privatisation schemes is something we're all paying the price of now: massive energy bills, banks awarding themselves obscene bonuses when Public Sector pay is rubbish, the train companies greedily extorting millions out of passengers when they don't really have to. Yes, well done Maggie - I jest.

Comment

Wouldn't watch it personally. I think she brought this country to is knees. Why would anyone want to watch a film about such a horrible woman. She was no better than Hitler.
          Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
            True. While its probably an interesting film I don't like what she did to the UK.....the legacy of her privatisation schemes is something we're all paying the price of now: massive energy bills, banks awarding themselves obscene bonuses when Public Sector pay is rubbish, the train companies greedily extorting millions out of passengers when they don't really have to. Yes, well done Maggie - I jest.

Yeah Maggie really wrecked this Country, Buses where you could go anywhere, the Miners, Trains, Privatising thing's .... taking School Kids Milk from them. The amount of damage she caused to this Country is too much to write into one thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kevpk View Post
              I so agree with you............Meryl Streep is a brilliant actress but i wonder if she knew how much the woman is hated in this country would she have taken the role?..........oh and i like garlic............freshly cooked doesn't leave such a nasty smell behind.

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                I so agree with you............Meryl Streep is a brilliant actress but i wonder if she knew how much the woman is hated in this country would she have taken the role?..........oh and i like garlic............freshly cooked doesn't leave such a nasty smell behind.
                Hmm indeed I rate Meryl very very much. Though I detest Thatcher and how she wrecked this Country I am just so curious to see the Film and how she truly was and to see another great Meryl portrayel!

Comment

Originally posted by shilton dipper View Post
                  the Yanks have a thing about us Brits and our history, so i think any American actress would have taken the roll, no matter what our feelings about Thatcher are.

I would never change my mind about the evil Thatcher......... but i'm willing to give Garlic another try
                  WHO'S THE TART?

Comment

Just to play devils advocate a bit, Labour closed more pits and made more miners unemployed in the 1960s than Thatcher did in the 80s.

If anyone's interested in general statistics about 20th Century Britain there's an interesting parliamentary summary online http://www.parliament.uk/documents/c...9/rp99-111.pdf
                    The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

He has a point. Also, lets remember Wilson started the ball rolling, Callahan led to worse, Heath brought us more woe, then the Common Market and VAT, Thatcher took over, etc, etc, etc....its all one snowball becoming larger. I think of the Blair/Brown Labour years as ruining what was left of the milk we had...of all these things you've really got to blame Blair for the beginning of the rut we now find ourselves in...., especially these stupid wars, Muslim terrorism, too many refugees/asylum seekers etc..., then theres the bankers, his opening all polys/colleges into Uni's creating too many graduates on a tight market...etc, etc, sad innit.

Comment

Working...
                      X