Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is your Home Town famous for?

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
    Robbie Williams, Anthea Turner,Edward John Smith, Saul 'Slash' Hudson,Sir Stanley Matthews and Reginald Mitchell

probably most Famous for it's Pottery Industry.
    Is that the same Reginald Mitchell who designed the Spitfire?

Comment

Neil Tennant from the Pet Shop Boys and the inventor of plasticine were born in my home town.

When NT talks he has a posh accent but when he sings and I sing along the inflections sound the same. Under the posh you can tell he's from here!
      Last edited by Trickyvee; 23-02-2012, 08:17.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by victorbrunswick View Post
        Is that the same Reginald Mitchell who designed the Spitfire?
        It is indeed
        Heather

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          The Wikipedia lists the following for Marple.

John Bradshaw (1602-1659) President of the court that tried King Charles I.
          Tony Wilson (1950-2007) journalist and record label owner moved to Marple at the age of 5 with his parents.
          Samuel Oldknow, the industrialist who created a huge textile empire and became Britain's leading manufacturer of muslin moved to Marple after serving an apprenticeship in Nottingham. His lime kilns can still be seen in Marple.
          Edmund Cooper (1926–1982) was a poet and prolific writer of science fiction and detective novels.
          Christopher Isherwood (1904–1986) Although born at nearby Wybersley Hall family home was Marple Hall
          Christopher Finney, recipient of the George Cross.
          Karl Davies is now a popular actor who attended Marple Hall School.
          Bob Whittaker was a presenter on Granada Reports. Now runs Orion TV in London.
          Timmy Mallett grew up in Marple and attended Rose Hill Primary School.
          Chris Fawkes is a BBC weather forecaster who attended Marple Hall School. (I knew him when I was younger, he lived in the next street)
          Craig Cash Currently lives in Marple.
          Several musicians, including bands Delphic, Dutch Uncles and Egyptian Hip Hop (band) grew up in and around Marple.
          Stephen Bradbury (artist). Artist and illustrator. Grew up in Marple and attended Marple Hall School.

Also Ricky Hatton was born in nearby Hyde but attended Marple Hall School (as did I)

I think "Diddy" David Hamilton lived in Marple at one time.
          Bought my first car from a man who lived near the fire station in Marple. A red mini flame in 1992.
          "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

Salford City Reds (the original red devils), LS Lowry paintings, Salford Lads club, Media City, Elkie Brooks, Robert Powell, Joseph Holt (Brewer), Peter Hook and Bernard Sumner (Joy Division and New Order), Paul Scholes, Eddie Colman (Busby Babe RIP), Walter Greenwood, Shelagh Delaney, Adrian Morley (GB Rugby League), Jason Manford, Doves.

Some other famous persons who have lived here, Ben Kingsley, Emmeline Pankhurst, Lowry, Chris Hoy, Johnny Briggs.
            "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

My adopted home town (ie gonna be living here til I die) Prestatyn is the place that Witness Protection sent famous police dobber Frank Serpico to. I doubt the mafia would be looking in North Wales for him, bit of a genius move that. Of course highly unplesant for Serpico!
              I collect game prices for retro consoles from eBay

Comment

I'm in Malvern, Worcestershire- it became famous as a water-cure spa town in late Georgian times as we have an abundance of some of the best spring water in England here, and Malvern Water is exported all over the world. It's boom time was in the Victorian era, the most famous water-cure doctor was Dr.James Gully, who's old hospital still stands- he was a big name in his day. Malvern is also famous for composer Sir Edward Elgar, and being the home of Morgan sports cars.
                C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien also lived here for a while, so did the illustrator for Rupert Bear. Edwardian US President Teddy Roosevelt stayed here at the Aldwyn Towers Hotel (now flats) when a youngster, and Jeremy Paxman went to school at Malvern College. Violinist Nigel Kennedy lived here for years and had a house only a few doors down from us, I used to meet him on the hills now & again with his bulldog Deadly- contrary to his public persona he's really very shy and properly-spoken when you meet him. He used to drive around in an XJ6 Jaguar covered in spray graffiti!

Comment

Working...
                X