Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Remember when fags and tobacco was ON DISPLAY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Remember when fags and tobacco was ON DISPLAY?

That's what I missed the most as a smoker was smoking in the pub.A pint was never the same again once smoking in pubs was banned.And the atmosphere died at the same time.It's also when I stopped going out on the town for a good night.It just wasn't the same anymore.

I expect the gov has already planned for a loss of money for the tax they impose on tobacco.I sometimes wonder if its why they hiked up the vat or put the tax on hot pies.Will this blanket ban on tobacco advertising really save the gov money on medical expenses?...only time will tell.But like many people many so called tobacco related illnesses could actually be more work related like the inhalation of certain glue fumes and fiber glass dust that gave me chronic breathing problems years ago.At the time my doctor said it was smoking.But when I was off sick with it it would clear up a bit,the it totally cleared up after I left the company dispite still smoking at that time.

Comment

Most of the recent tighening up on smoking is due to the medical profession having to deal with smoking related illness. So any fall of in tax revenue will be conterbalanced by having to spend less on the health service.

I'm lucky that no-one in my family has smoked in my lifetime so I've never had any insentive to smoke.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

What I really hate about the new law on smoking outside a cafe or bar etc is when some prat tuts loudly or makes a big song and dance and moves to another seat - if they're a non smoker, they have the option of inside or out, me, as a smoker can only have a drink/snack/mean AND a fag - OUTSIDE. I usually make an equally rude reaction to these prats...

My Mum used to say that oneday, because apparently ALL FOOD, ALL DRINK ETC is bad, we'll eventually have to live off our own wee and poo - and then they'll say thats bad too...

I think they should either repeal the laws on smoking inside a pub etc, or allow certain places to have the option to have smoking inside - that said, they'd probably make them pay for a 'smoking licence'...I hate the Govt. All of em...

Comment

I have to agree there about certain places should be allowed to have smoking even if a licence has to be granted to allow it.Pubs would be a start and would happily pay if it was reasonable and would generate them more trade as well as night clubs.Even if it just covered adult type venues.I expect people to smoke in pubs and clubs they always have and the smoke was always a part of the atmosphere in those places.

Comment

I love that as a non smoker I can now go out for a night out and not return home reeking of smoke, so the smoking ban in public places should stay in my opinion. Also I don't think having smoking areas inside venues is the answer either as having the smokers in a confined soace would generate a health hazard to staff members of the venue.
            The only thing to look forward to is the past

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
              I love that as a non smoker I can now go out for a night out and not return home reeking of smoke, so the smoking ban in public places should stay in my opinion. Also I don't think having smoking areas inside venues is the answer either as having the smokers in a confined soace would generate a health hazard to staff members of the venue.
              Same here, I used to used Fabreze on my clothes after most nights out to get rid of the smell of smoke, even when I was no-where near anyone who was smoking.

It was interesting to read in Smoke-friendly Japan they recently introduced a card that has to be inserted into vending machines before cigarettes could be bought.

The idea was to prevent underage smoking, but a number of adult smokers have started to give up because the process of getting a card is too much of a hastle.
              The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by HG View Post
                i must agree with u here mate.
                hope im not going off topic but i remember back in the eighties my bro who is not a smoler when he came home from a night out when he came home the smoke on his clothes near choked me.
                so if the smoking ban works why cant the non display of fegs not work.

give it time and i feel it will work.
                if it even stops one person smoking its worked.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Locking up and hiding away the cigarettes is fine by me, as a now non-smoker I don't care either way. BUT, will this just make kids think that there is something special being hid away from them? Will it actually just make them even more curious?
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                    Locking up and hiding away the cigarettes is fine by me, as a now non-smoker I don't care either way. BUT, will this just make kids think that there is something special being hid away from them? Will it actually just make them even more curious?
                    well curiosity got me started at 12.

Comment

Before this smoking ban came in, the original proposal was to have a separate smoking room. Unfortunately, the Zealots were given an inch, then took a mile or two. There came a total ban on smoking indoors. This also covered private members clubs. There was uproar over this. If you join a club, you obey its rules. If you had a pub or club, one allowed smoking the other didn't, you could almost guarantee which one would be the most popular. I'm a non smoker, but I think this ban is now going too far.

Has for cigarettes etc. being behind closed doors, this makes me laugh, cringe and cry. Right next to all this charade, there are bottles and cans of alcohol on sale, with some lovely labels on them. Some of the designs are a true work of art. Go into any supermarket, the bottles of booze are on the shelves for any child to go up to, and have a very close look. Politics and Paymaster General come to mind over this.
                      Who cared about rules when you were young?

Comment

Working...
                      X