X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Eu referendum 2016

Originally posted by big kid View Post
    thanks from me as well.

have you heard that there may be talks of having another referendum to go back in ? the folk in the remain camp and other factions are a bit upset about the outcome and want it to be discussed in parliment. wonder if the vote had gone the other way about, would this happen ?
    No chance those activists students started it no online petitions means nothing,a tory MP has said.

Absolute discrace those students from London blaming the baby boomers for leaving,it seems they have no respect for their ancestors who went through 2 world wars,they wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for that.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
      it seems they have no respect for their ancestors who went through 2 world wars,they wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for that.
      couldn't agree more amethyst. so many lives lost. my mums uncle was killed in ww1 the day before he was due to come home.

Comment

Yeah - I'm getting tired of hearing about how youngsters are going to be stuck with the decision the rest of us made for their whole lives.

I must be getting old - there seems to be an awful lot of whiny and needy twenty-somethings around these days.

Comment

Darren might be able to shed some light on this one.

The referendum results in Northern Ireland have revealed a trend of the Protestant & Unionist areas voting to leave the EU and the Catholic & Republican areas voting to remain in the EU. The only exception was North Down where 47.6% voted Leave and 52.4% voted Remain, but that could be the result of it being an affluent area, with a high proportion of professional and managerial types, demographically similar to Surrey. The most pro-EU area is Foyle with 21.7% Leave and 78.3% Remain. The most anti-EU area is North Antrim with 62.2% Leave and 37.8% Remain.

If the UK left the EU and took Northern Ireland with it then could it re-ignite tensions between both communities so it will be the 1970s all over again?

Nobody in mainland Britain ever thinks along these lines but suspicions run deep within the minds of hardline Protestants and Unionists from Northern Ireland that the EU is a Catholic institution at heart; the political wing of the Church of Rome; the Holy Roman Empire re-incarnated.

Was it even a sensible idea to include Northern Ireland in the EU referendum?

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            Darren might be able to shed some light on this one.

The referendum results in Northern Ireland have revealed a trend of the Protestant & Unionist areas voting to leave the EU and the Catholic & Republican areas voting to remain in the EU. The only exception was North Down where 47.6% voted Leave and 52.4% voted Remain, but that could be the result of it being an affluent area, with a high proportion of professional and managerial types, demographically similar to Surrey. The most pro-EU area is Foyle with 21.7% Leave and 78.3% Remain. The most anti-EU area is North Antrim with 62.2% Leave and 37.8% Remain.

If the UK left the EU and took Northern Ireland with it then could it re-ignite tensions between both communities so it will be the 1970s all over again?

Nobody in mainland Britain ever thinks along these lines but suspicions run deep within the minds of hardline Protestants and Unionists from Northern Ireland that the EU is a Catholic institution at heart; the political wing of the Church of Rome; the Holy Roman Empire re-incarnated.

Was it even a sensible idea to include Northern Ireland in the EU referendum?
            One issue I did hear a few times was whether the Irish border would be kept open.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by catflap View Post
              Yeah - I'm getting tired of hearing about how youngsters are going to be stuck with the decision the rest of us made for their whole lives.

I must be getting old - there seems to be an awful lot of whiny and needy twenty-somethings around these days.
              Maybe they can have the last laugh by refusing to do any low level health sector jobs so they all have to be done by immigrants.

Comment

No chance those activists students started it no online petitions means nothing,a tory MP has said.

Absolute discrace those students from London blaming the baby boomers for leaving,it seems they have no respect for their ancestors who went through 2 world wars,they wouldnt be here today if it wasnt for that.
                Typical off the shelf right wing reply, both world wars were fought with the help of citizens from both mainland Europe & the Commonwealth.

It's the baby boomers who inherited peace & still managed to **** things up in the 1970s, both left & right wing.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  One issue I did hear a few times was whether the Irish border would be kept open.
                  Northern Ireland has been referred to as the forgotten corner of the UK in the run up to the referendum. The province where nobody could determine with any certainly how the people would vote. The only part of the UK to share a land border with another EU country. The argument over EU membership in Northern Ireland has been less to do with sovereignty and immigration and more to do with EU funding, which will be lost when it leaves the EU along with the mainland. Northern Ireland has historically been a society divided like no other in Britain with the majority of residents in Antrim and Strangford holding a stronger connection with the mainland and the majority of residents in Armagh and Derry holding a stronger connection with the Irish Republic.

Another problem is that Ulster Folk have not been influential in the day to day affairs or determining the future course of the mainland even if they are steadfastly Unionist. Even programmes produced by UTV are (and have always been) an extremely rare sight on both ITV and STV. The big question now is not whether England and Wales can survive Brexit (which it will) but whether Northern Ireland can survive Brexit without it erupting into civil war.

Comment

Leave

Leave Eurovision too lol
                    sigpic
                    Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                      Leave

Leave Eurovision too lol
                      And the Euro Millions Lotto, I wonder what country has benefitted most from the good causes

Comment

And the Euro Millions Lotto, I wonder what country has benefitted most from the good causes
                        i wonder whose pockets have benefited the most.

Comment

Not mine!
                          Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

in the end most of us voted to stay.

You never know all 4 regions mite break away from each other and then decide if they want to stay in the eu or not too.

I never bothered voting hard to know what to believe.

Way id work it is every single person votes but those who vote out theyre out and those who vote in stay in.
                            You dont vote for the country to stay in you vote for yourself to stay in.

Originally posted by arran View Post
                            northern ireland has been referred to as the forgotten corner of the uk in the run up to the referendum. The province where nobody could determine with any certainly how the people would vote. The only part of the uk to share a land border with another eu country. The argument over eu membership in northern ireland has been less to do with sovereignty and immigration and more to do with eu funding, which will be lost when it leaves the eu along with the mainland. Northern ireland has historically been a society divided like no other in britain with the majority of residents in antrim and strangford holding a stronger connection with the mainland and the majority of residents in armagh and derry holding a stronger connection with the irish republic.

Another problem is that ulster folk have not been influential in the day to day affairs or determining the future course of the mainland even if they are steadfastly unionist. Even programmes produced by utv are (and have always been) an extremely rare sight on both itv and stv. The big question now is not whether england and wales can survive brexit (which it will) but whether northern ireland can survive brexit without it erupting into civil war.
                            FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I see it quite simply - The majority of people in the UK voted to come out (only time will tell if it is the right decision) so we will have to come out

Not too long ago Scotland had a referendum to decide if they should stay as part of the united kingdom or become independent - The majority decided to stay so they will have to stay - this means that they should abide by any decisions are decided by things like lets say ..... oh yeah ...... a referendum.

I have heard so much rubbish about another referendum ... Scotland having another referendum ..... Scotland vetoing the decision and it makes my blood boil

Our way of life is built around democracy which is far more important than EU membership but it would seem that now we only agree with democracy when it suits

Everyone needs to stop moaning and get on with it. For better or worse we are out. Time to get the best deals we can and make the UK a great place to work and live, remember we have always been one of the great economies of the modern world including before we went into the common market / EU

I wish people would stop talking us down and remember if you don't like the decision you are still able to emigrate, nothing has changed yet and there are plenty of places out side the EU that would be happy to have you

And by the way ...... I voted REMAIN

RANT over I'm going for a slush puppy and a lie down
                              Age is just a number - If yours bothers you stop counting

Comment

Well said Jay Mac.We must move on an accept the decision.I dont want the UK to break up.

If I was a lot younger I would be thinking about emigrating to New Zealand.

Comment

Working...
                                X