Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General Election 2019

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • General Election 2019

    When we have elections they are always in spring summer time.Can anyone ever recall an election 2 weeks before christmas

  • #2
    Re: General Election 2019

    Originally posted by amethyst View Post
    When we have elections they are always in spring summer time.Can anyone ever recall an election 2 weeks before christmas
    This is the first one outside the spring in my lifetime.

    According to the BBC the last one in December was in 1923.
    The Trickster On The Roof

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: General Election 2019

      it's because the country's on its ars
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: General Election 2019

        This year, (as well as other things happening), I haven't been able to concentrate on Christmas properly because my mind has been focused on the General Election, and I think that this has also been the case for others as well.

        I shall be voting on Thursday - sadly, the same day marks 20 years since my mother passed away, but life goes on as they say. It seems a bit strange in my flat to see my Poll Card blu-tacked on my noticeboard next to Christmas cards! - I shall take a brisk walk down to my local Polling Station on Thursday (I started a thread on such places earlier on this year), and put my cross on the ballot paper.

        For the first time I will be voting Liberal Democrat in the General Election - I wiped my hands of the Conservatives when Boris Johnson became Prime Minister in July as I wanted Jeremy Hunt to get the job - (I dreaded the moment when that would happen), and also for the suspension of Parliament in September. I voted Remain in the 2016 Referendum and my views have not changed, hence the support for the Lib Dems - it isn't even clear what Labour's stance is on the withdrawal - Labour getting in would probably just as much mean Brexit in January next year as the Conservatives and Brexit Party would.

        Johnson and Corbyn do not feel to me like decent Prime Minister material - Jo Swinson seems like a breath of fresh air in comparison, and feels to me like she would break the deadlock in the two party dominated politics dominated by Labour and Conservatives. Also, Swinson was both the first MP and first party leader to be younger than myself - fair enough, she has a remote chance of getting to the top and setting foot into Downing Street, but she is the person who I think should take us into the 2020s.

        It will be such a novelty thing to have at this time of year.
        Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: General Election 2019

          Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
          This is the first one outside the spring in my lifetime.

          According to the BBC the last one in December was in 1923.
          Thursday 6th December 1923 to be precise - Stanley Baldwin was the incumbent Prime Minister for the Conservatives; Ramsay MacDonald was the Labour opposition leader; and HH Asquith was the Liberal Party leader.
          Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: General Election 2019

            The problem having an election this time of year it gets dark around 4pm I will be voting in the morning.Wouldnt fancy walking in the dark,when we had May/June elections I would vote in the evening.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: General Election 2019

              Did anyone watch question time from York last night?

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: General Election 2019

                Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                The problem having an election this time of year it gets dark around 4pm I will be voting in the morning.Wouldnt fancy walking in the dark,when we had May/June elections I would vote in the evening.
                It will be strange that it will still be dark outside when the Polling Stations open at 7.00 am.

                If I was Prime Minister calling an election, I would choose the Thursday which is the closest one to the longest day of the year for a General Election so that the longer daylight hours and better weather would benefit the increase of the turnout - the 1970 election was held on that equivalent date and the 2016 Referendum was as well.
                Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: General Election 2019

                  Boris bulldozing in Staffordshire yesterday.Delivering milk in Pudsey West Yorks this morning then he hid in the fridge lol

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: General Election 2019

                    Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                    The problem having an election this time of year it gets dark around 4pm Wouldnt fancy walking in the dark.
                    Yeah, you might bump into Boris or Nigel! :-0
                    Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: General Election 2019

                      Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                      If I was Prime Minister calling an election, I would choose the Thursday which is the closest one to the longest day of the year for a General Election so that the longer daylight hours and better weather would benefit the increase of the turnout - the 1970 election was held on that equivalent date and the 2016 Referendum was as well.
                      The 1970 election was unexpectedly rainy & England's recent early defeat in the World Cup are often said to be factors that swung the result towards the conservative party.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: General Election 2019

                        Originally posted by amethyst View Post
                        Boris bulldozing in Staffordshire yesterday.Delivering milk in Pudsey West Yorks this morning then he hid in the fridge lol
                        I saw him on the BBC News website putting something to a van or something - that must have been his stint as a milkman.

                        I just love the way the party leaders contradict each other and say different things to get people to vote for them.
                        Telling it almost exactly like it was so many years later - and proud of doing so!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: General Election 2019

                          Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                          Yeah, you might bump into Boris or Nigel! :-0
                          No such luck lol
                          Boris was in Derby get Brexit done pie lol

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: General Election 2019

                            Line ‘em all up whilst I get me gun ...


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: General Election 2019




                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X