Christmas Television 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Television 2020

I have been looking on Digiguide and that Christmas TV website to see what "goodies" we will be expected to see on the box this Christmas, and I can understand what people are saying with regards to the scheduling - the fact that even BBC 1 and 2 have so many repeats this year, but of course, I have assumed that this is due to the difficult year we have had due to COVID-19 - tightening one's belts and annoying those who have to pay the Licence Fee. Of course, there will never be a brand new Morecambe and Wise, and come to think of it, other double acts have been lost this year as well.

From what I call the "framework" Christmas scheduling such as the religious output, Big Ben striking midnight, and the Queen's annual 3.00 pm stint, (and some would regard the soaps in that bracket as well), there are some highlights such as a new Worzel Gummidge (not to be confused with the repeats from last year also being scheduled). Blankety Blank seems to have made its way back to BBC 1 from ITV where it was four years ago under D Walliams' guise - its heyday was definitely in the 1980s when Wogan and Dawson hosted. The RI Christmas Lectures have three different people doing each lecture for the first time, including the first black person to do them - I do think that they worked better when the same person did the entire series to be honest.

For the first time, ITV have scheduled an edition of This Morning on Christmas Day - the programme isn't on in its regular slot in the days running up to 25th December, but it seems bizarre to do that as I always think of it as a run-of-the-mill weekday programme which is on when most people are at work or school - it is like having a Christmas Day edition of Homes Under the Hammer on (in which thankfully, the Christmas Morning Service is in that slot). The fact that Bank Holiday Monday scheduling has became more "normal" in recent years is a sign that it is almost spreading towards Christmas scheduling as well.

Films are like a wildcard of scheduling, and old favourites are just as good as movie premieres - I noticed that The Never-ending Story from 1984 (where a film cannot get any more 1984 than that) is scheduled for Wednesday 23rd December with another showing the following week, and the original Grease film from 1978 has a Boxing Day outing - fair enough, it is good to see again and again, although I do spend some of Boxing Day at relative's. ITV has a 2017 version of Wonder Woman on Tuesday 29th December straight after Emmerdale, taking up the remainder of the evening before a belated News at Ten comes on - pity that it clashes with one of the RI Lectures on BBC Four which should repeated the following day anyway.

Christmas is the only time when the Total TV Guide, Radio Times and TV Times are all purchased at the same time for the TV listings, and some publications giving a variant number of stars for film reviews - this year is different for all the obvious reasons but it would be interesting what people think.

What do you think about Christmas television this year, if you seen the schedules already? - I suppose that there are other things that one can do such as eat food and play games...
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Christmas television 2020 in a nutshell. Rubbish! Thank god for my dvd collection, will be watching the queen's speech. BBC Christmas day is really looking dire repeats, repeats, and more repeats.

Comment

I couldn't agree more with the previous post - I mean, This Morning on Christmas Day? I bet Jeremy Kyle would have also been on there if it wasn't for the controversy last year which thankfully meant that his show was no more. When Anne Diamond and Nick Owen used to do a special Good Morning Britain (1980s TV-am style of course) on Christmas Day in the mid 1980s, it did feel special with special guests, and even then, by the time they were on strike in 1987 they converted to cartoons and imports and stayed like that. It's a pity that ITV doesn't share the same values as 1980 where they had a special Christmas morning service with none other than Robert Runcie himself in charge. At least we still see the Archbishop of Canterbury on Christmas news reports and also in his New Year's Day message.

Have a look back at 1993 - Christmas Day was on a Saturday that year and to be fair, Carlton couldn't be blamed for the scheduling (their first Christmas Day on air was two years later), but on ITV, a lot of the original Saturday schedule was retained, and it didn't look much different from 18th December apart from the films. Ironically, the Never-ending Story premiered on there after The Queen, and most of the afternoon and evening, right up to the early hours of the morning were back to back films, apart from a Jeremy Beadle special. The most recent Christmas Day not to have Coronation Street on as it was on Christmas Eve that year.
      Last edited by George 1978; 08-12-2020, 00:05.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Well looks like Amazon prime for me films that I can choose myself and concerts that I haven't seen before

Comment

LOVE THAT FILM ONE OF MY ALL TIME FAVE
          https://youtu.be/iaBylNsotYU

BUT THE 2ND AND 3RD FILMS NOT THAT GREAT.

Originally posted by Richard1978
          Oddly I've never seen the Never-ending Story before! but I'll try to get round to seeing it this time.

It's going to be an odd Christmas for me as I won't be able to see as many family members as I normally do, and can't do much for my anniversary either.

At least I'll be at home to watch more TV than I normally do.

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I noticed that the Wednesday showing of Never-ending Story was replaced by the showing of Wallace and Gromit's A Grand Day Out (which was due to be on Monday but was postponed due to the Downing Street press conference on Monday), and also another press conference as well, while the film is due to be shown next week. I was wondering whether BBC One knew that one of the showings would be postponed, hence the film being scheduled twice?

I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

very odd but never ending story came on think was 1.45 on bbc one yesterday.

They showed wallace and gromit instead.
              Wonder why it wasnt shown.

Originally posted by richard1978
              oddly i've never seen the never-ending story before! But i'll try to get round to seeing it this time.

It's going to be an odd christmas for me as i won't be able to see as many family members as i normally do, and can't do much for my anniversary either.

At least i'll be at home to watch more tv than i normally do.
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

On Christmas Eve there was also that news report which followed Worzel Gummidge and was about the UK's agreement with the EU (I had relatives visiting me at that moment delivering presents to me and so I wasn't paying attention to it), and so the evening news was on easiler at 10.15 pm to accommodate the news - I almost missed the start of the Midnight Mass because that HIGNFY 30 years programme was on a bit later as a result, and wasn't keeping track of time.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

As you do, I tuned in for the official Queen's message on BBC One (a poignant one this year because of the current circumstances), and also hee doppelganger on Channel 4, probably for the sake of comparison where I think the Queen sounded more like Moira Stewart! - did anyone else see it as well? The sherry came out on both occasions.

Saw Blankety Blank as well where Jimmy Carr seemed to come up with the same answers as myself - I have a feeling that a new series is being made. That Christmas Morning service from that Gospel church in Birmingham looked fascinating as well.
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                  X