England in the Euro 2021 [sic] final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• England in the Euro 2021 [sic] final

I would just like to wish all the England squad all the best in the Euro 2021 [sic] final, and I hope that we all win at Wembley on Sunday night - I know it's officially called Euro 2020, but the year doesn't matter. We English are often quite lowkey these days when it comes to national celebrations, although COVID is an obvious reason why this is the case, but it has always been like that when it comes to things like St George's Day - I just hope that we can win and celebrate it in a safe manner wherever we are in the country.

My complements go to Gareth Southgate (who I hope will become the Sir Alf Ramsey of early 21st century football), as well as Harry Kane, Marcus Rashford and all the others. Italy might beat England at the Eurovision Song Contest, but the (football) boot is on the other foot when it comes to the final on Sunday. I have decided to have the BBC One coverage on (well, I do pay a TV Licence Fee whichever way you look at it). and so I have Lineker and co to lead me the way. I bet that the National Grid will get excited with this one - how many kettles are boiled, how many TV sets are on, etc.

A friend of mine who likes Italian cars and Italian men - is obviously supporting the other side - spoke to her on the phone the other night and told me about her allegiance. Not surprising, but disappointing

I have signed the official petition about giving the UK a Bank Holiday on Monday if England wins - ironically, it will already be a Bank Holiday on Monday in Northern Ireland due to the Orangeman's Day and the Battle of the Boyne - the Twelfth.

Has anyone heard Neil Diamond's Sweet Caroline on the radio today? - or even the other special Euro songs like the remastered Atomic Kitten one (in which I got the original version from eBay a couple of weeks ago)?

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Very upset that England lost to Italy, but not as upset as hearing about the racism that some of the players had experienced.

I was expecting several replies to this thread considering that everyone was talking about it over the weekend. Never mind.

I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I myself was an italy fan so im happy.

But the stories ive heard about the violence and racism is awful.

Doors being smashed open by large grps of people ramming them.etc.
      Apparently there were more stewards police security etc for the germany game than the final.

There was an odd stabbing to

people were very scared.

And i knew when those england players missed pens the abuse theyd get and they did.
      And the mural being damaged truly disgracefull.

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post
      very upset that england lost to italy, but not as upset as hearing about the racism that some of the players had experienced.

I was expecting several replies to this thread considering that everyone was talking about it over the weekend. Never mind.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Sad but u always see this in sport if players not all but most get runners up medals as far as theyre concerned they rather get none.

Jose mourinho when he won things didnt even keep his.

Originally posted by amethyst
        was not impressed to see england players removing their medals
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Unfortunately some fans will turn on players perceived as letting the side down.
          Remember when Beckham became a national figure of hate for getting himself red-carded by kicking Simeone in the 1998 World Cup? There was also that shocking penalty against the Turks, which was even worse than Rashford's effort (but ultimately not as costly).
          There wasn't much social media back then, but Beckham did receive death threats.
          Daubing graffiti on the mural of Rashford is just another manifestation of impotent rage by a few fans who cannot control their anger.

Comment

Rather disgusted with how the England players have been victims of racism since last Sunday.

Is Southgate remaining as England manager? - I heard rumours that he was to be replaced. I hope not as I would keep him in the post.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
              Rather disgusted with how the England players have been victims of racism since last Sunday.

Is Southgate remaining as England manager? - I heard rumours that he was to be replaced. I hope not as I would keep him in the post.
              Really...not seen this anywhere, he's the best manager for a long time
              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Originally posted by tex View Post

Really...not seen this anywhere, he's the best manager for a long time
                I saw something on a news website a couple of days ago about Frank Lampard being tipped to replace Southgate, which made me think whether he is planning to quit.

I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X