A licence to kill time watching television

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A licence to kill time watching television

Yes, the words "licence" and "television" in the title - I bet that you can guess what I am about to talk about here...

We take owning television sets, (or anything that is equipped to receive TV signals) for granted so much these days that to some people, living without a working TV set is like having limbs amputated - so why don't enough people think of the TV Licence as something a bit more precious than what it is generally associated with?

Most of pay Council Tax in order to receive local services in our communities, and it is due to our regular contributions that most of the services are made possible. We pay money for tickets to see shows at the theatre, the cinema and even DVDs from shops and online, and so what is wrong with paying for TV porgrammes that we see within reason?

And no, ITV, Channel 4 and the commercial television companies don't do programmes for nothing: every time you see a commercial for Kellogg's Corn Flakes a Tesco in the advert breaks of Coronation Street, a trip to Tesco reminds you when looking at the shelves that advertising goes towards the cost of the products that the supermarket sells, if you put a Tesco or a Kellogg's brand of Corn Flakes into your trolley. A shopping channel like QVC makes its money from the products its sells just like a shop does. It is a Television Licence rather than a BBC licence: in other words, you need one to watch Channel 4 but one doesn't need one to listen to BBC Radio 4.

And if you don't have a TV set, DVD, video, computer, mobile phone or anything else that has TV signals on it, if you can prove it, one can opt out of paying the £159.00 or so a year, but no matter what, they will still be paying VAT for products towards advertising them on television and elsewhere. I personally prefer to pay "directly" rather than via some third party organisations for most items to be honest - online shopping can sometimes drag you from pillar to post in that way.

The Television Licence (not to mention TV Licensing themselves) has always seemed to have lucrative cultural currency in Great Britain, especially from the 1970s onwards, just like what one can be allowed to see on it as a result - the Bristol and later Darlington-based organisation is famous for the "now and again" appearance of "the Bogeyman is coming to get you" television commercials, reminding Mr and Mrs Public that the cost of a new Licence is cheaper than a big fine, and the "Charley Live" PIFs from around 1977-ish, containing white vans with aerials and gadgets on top, and probably a house brick-sized remote control resting in the glove compartment, insisting that the people they were about to visit were at home watching Columbo. They must be psychic if that was the case...

In popular culture, even fictional characters have been caught with their trousers down with their television sets: looking at Coronation Street's 62 year (and nearly 11,000 episode) history for example, they have had a good go at "satirising" the TV Licence cometh, especially when Bill Podmore was in the chair. The incumbent regulars have had their fair share of them over the past few decades.

Former Rovers' landlady Annie Walker was caught without one back in February 1976 by Brian Howe from the TV Licensing Detection Agency because her previous Licence had expired on St Andrew's Day in 1975 - and her only crime it seemed, was to watch Granada Reports while Howe was visiting her. It was also the very first episode to be produced by Bill Podmore after an eight-year stint in the Director's chair.

Earlier on in that decade, Stan and Hilda Ogden were caught without one back, and as luck would have it, they went from having a TV set with no Licence to having a Licence with no TV set. Cue broken set in the corner. I am not too certain, but their "TV possession storyline" from around 1971 could be linked to that.

Fast-forward to April 1984, and Jack and Vera Duckworth (as well as son Terry and his "here today, gone tomorrow" female friend of the time) had got a knock on the door and answered it to a pinstripe-suited Mr Tucker from the TV Licensing organisation, and his silent uncredited assistant, asking to see the "evidence" both in mahogany in the corner of the room, and also on paper.

"Have you got both a TV and a Licence as they are supposed to go together like a pair of shoes?" they might have well said to them. They had the set, but not the legal permission to use it. They did go to court a few weeks later, and coughed up a renewed Licence at their local Post Office. Surely, if you can remember to purchase a book of first class stamps, then surely you can remember to pay for 365 days' of television viewing in advance?

Around that same time as the Duckworths' storyline, an incumbent colour TV Licence was roughly the same amount back then as a monochrome Licence would be these days, ironically enough (and I am surprised that black and white ones still exist despite practically everyone using colour sets, and the fact that everyone would have had paid the same price, be it, black and white or colour).

Moving forwards towards January and February 1996, Tricia Armstrong, the stereotyped single mother who was played by Tracy Brabin (Jo Cox's successor as a Member of Parliament and is now West Yorkshire's Mayor), lived at Deirdre Barlow's old house at number one. Tricia was sent to a Wentworth-alike prison in Manchester for not paying her Licence for around a week. "If I could afford to pay the fine, then I could afford to pay for the Licence", Armstrong defensively said in response to the police knocking on her door with a warrant. I bet that the Street has had more storylines based on this in its 62-year history.

(Continued...)
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

In real life, my local postman didn't happen to be on strike on Saturday, and rumours of Saturday deliveries ceasing late last year had not been finalised yet. As a result, I have received my brand new 2023 TV Licence in the post on Saturday as it traditionally runs out on 31st January each year, and this year it arrived two days before the traditional Blue Monday as that is the day when it usually arrives on - the TV Licence New Year at my place is just like Chinese New Year, be it that it starts around the beginning of February. If the pre-Christmas Royal Mail strike is still trying to catch up with postal deliveries and even later Christmas cards, it might have arrived anytime between now and Easter, or in time for Charles III to be crowned.

TV Licensing mentioned in their correspondence that this will be the last one that I receive "for a while" unless there is a price increase from £159.00 which as far as I am concerned, once a year when it does arrive is indeed "a while" - no news is good news as far as they are concerned at the moment. An annual hurdle to get over and move on.

My new Television Licence arriving at the weekend had really made me think carefully about how television that I was watched in the past year has been, especially we have witnessed change in our country courtesy of news coverage on our television screens - the fact that we have seen the arrival and departure of two Prime Ministers in 2022, a Jubilee and the death and funeral of the late HM Queen Elizabeth II, and also her Platinum Jubilee celebrations in June, observing on both BBC One and BBC Radio 4. In many ways, one cannot put a price on it - can history have a price tag on it in the first place? I was so relieved that I could witness history so that I could be part of history myself. I am thankful to observe so much history happening almost at the same time.

Just like a lot of changes in British life, one has to take a step back and think in order to take it all in. The Licence Fee almost seems like a semi-official institution as the Royal Family themselves - apart from the weather, football or soap operas, what else would you talk about in the Monday morning bus queue, the evening telephone conversation, or even the school playground if the kids were more like adults?

The 1953 Licence Fee might not have been as much as 2023, but it is a small price to witness what has happened and what is to come, but unlike 1953, my place isn't the only one in the street with television, and that everyone crowded in the front room to watch it..One can't put an actual price on observing such history before our very eyes, and it is thanks to the BBC and the Licence Fee that most of this is possible. It makes me respect the tradition of paying just a bit more for better quality.

My Television Licence was just as good as any invitation to all Royal events in 2022 such as the late Queen Elizabeth II's funeral and her Platinum Jubilee celebrations just - and I am not even a VIP. It is the same for everyone else in the 28,000,000 households around the United Kingdom. I have Sky Digital with the "dustbin lid" satellite dish and thus get more channels than most do, but I try to stay loyal to the BBC if I can. I also have a feeling that Rod Hull might have lived a lot longer if he had Sky as well, and so he was not going to that other Sky just yet.

I might not be the richest person in my area (and I might be in a minority on here), but I do defend the Licence Fee - I pay mine by Direct Debit, and so the payments feel almost incognito compared to other things that I pay for in my account. I would rather pay so much within reason not to have advertising on the BBC to be honest - I just would like it to be spent more on "fact" rather than "fiction" a la that East End thing that they still show. And no "End of Part Ones" on the BBC either. What is the point of moaning if you object? - it won't change much.

I also like my snooker; Eurovision Song Contest (well done Sam Ryder, and well done Liverpool for hosting this year); and special events such as annual and one-off things. And I look forward to King Charles III's coronation on 6th May, and I can be thankful that I can watch it legally in my own home. And as the days get longer at last, we can look forward to the lighter and brighter days ahead.

I am not greedy or elitist - I am just thankful for what I have got after all this time. I think that 2023 will give us an interesting insight of what is to come, thanks to that screen in the corner of the living room.

Roll on May - at least half the street won't be gatecrashing in my front room in order to watch the coronation...
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

The license set up has been under attack off and on for years it seems, maybe since 1922 when it started (at ten shillings). One of the major undermining moves was to exempt households with anyone 75 years of age or older resident. I think it's a good system when required of everyone, and you get a lot of something for your money as does everyone else... otherwise you'd just have all commercial interests right? Apparently they did have a test group of complainers do without all BBC services and two thirds quickly wanted their license again as they missed much more than they'd realized before. Which isn't to say the BBC doesn't make some real mistakes, has definitely made them in the news area a couple of times, but radical throwing away of things like the ITV regional system and in-house productions, is usually an extreme for absolutists (who may claim never to watch or listen etc.) and never does suit the vast majority. I don't watch bake-offs or ballroom dancing but I don't begrudge it for those who do and pay their share like others. Specialization can wall people into little ghettos with few windows looking out.

I think we'll know what we've lost if someone really dismantles something that has worked and grown for 100 years, and I can't imagine getting it back would be at all easy.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I love reading the letters pages from the 1980s and 1990s editions of the Nottingham Evening Post on the BNA website where every so often a presumed pensioner from Bulwell writes in and moans about the 16p a month more that the Licence Fee will go up to - this was when a colour licence was roughly what a monochrome one is these days. At least one doesn't have to dial an 090 number to legally watch television...
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
        X