Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Things that dont happen anymore

Originally posted by the fox View Post
    That reminds me - crossed lines on phones, where you suddenly spoke to a complete stranger halfway through a call, or found yourself listening in to another conversation.
    The last of the fully electromechanical equipment which could be prone to that sort of problem was retired during the 1990's (as far as the U.K. is concerned), although it was gradually being replaced for quite some time before that.

The modern digital equipment doesn't suffer from those same problems and is generally pretty reliable. But when something does goes wrong with it, it often affects far more calls than the type of faults which used to occur with the older equipment.

Comment

I still get short power cuts very occasionally but nothing like the lengthy ones of the 80's. Put it this way, I don't have a set of emergency candles but as tea lights and decorative candles have become so popular I think I'll get by. Got stacks of those!

until a few years ago I would often get dips in the power. Usually at about 10pm each night the light would go dim for a second or two. Not sure what that was about but it seems to have stopped. My friend also mentioned it at the time and she lives in the next town so it must have affected the whole area.
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
        I still get short power cuts very occasionally but nothing like the lengthy ones of the 80's. Put it this way, I don't have a set of emergency candles but as tea lights and decorative candles have become so popular I think I'll get by. Got stacks of those!

until a few years ago I would often get dips in the power. Usually at about 10pm each night the light would go dim for a second or two. Not sure what that was about but it seems to have stopped. My friend also mentioned it at the time and she lives in the next town so it must have affected the whole area.
        That used to happen when the nearby metal foundry started up their rolling mill at the start of the 10pm shift!

Comment

I've had the odd dip in power, only the light seemed to be effected, my computer & TV seemed to be able to cope with it.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Trickyvee View Post
            Sudden heavy loads being applied to the grid could cause it (as in a heavy industrial situation, mentioned already), or sometimes transmission switching would take place at certain times, bringing particular generators and feeds online. If the changeover wasn't precisely synchronized the result would be a momentary dip.

Originally posted by Richard1978
            I've had the odd dip in power, only the light seemed to be effected, my computer & TV seemed to be able to cope with it.
            The capacitors used in the power supplies in radios, TV sets, computers and so on store enough energy to "ride through" many brief dips in the supply. Normal lights don't have any similar devices, so you'll notice the brightness dip immediately.

Comment

so true so sad.
              but im round my neighbours quite a bit we ave a laugh etc cup o tea.

but generally most neighbours have no idea who each other is.

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Neighbours popping round for a cup of tea and a chat,nowadays its hello and goodbye when you see them
              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by darren View Post
                so true so sad.
                but im round my neighbours quite a bit we ave a laugh etc cup o tea.

but generally most neighbours have no idea who each other is.
                How times have changed funny but we see less of the neighbours in winter

Comment

families sitting round the table at meal times even if its only on a sunday.
                  FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I saw someone with a square satellite dish recently. We used to call the Squariels up here. You used to see them quite often on peoples houses but they seem to be replaced by the standard dish shaped ones. I've no idea if they still install them, I totally forgot they use to exist until I saw one.

Comment

IIRC BSkyB kept the service running for the Squariels for a year or 2 after the merger between BSB & Sky, so they must have been out of use for almost 20 years.

The only one I've seen recently is on the wall of Debenhams in Stockport.

On the way to one of my old jobs I used to pass a house with one still on the wall, but that as 9-10 years ago.
                      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                        I saw someone with a square satellite dish recently. We used to call the Squariels up here. You used to see them quite often on peoples houses but they seem to be replaced by the standard dish shaped ones. I've no idea if they still install them, I totally forgot they use to exist until I saw one.
                        Dont think I've ever seen one, even back in the day although the name is familiar.
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          IIRC BSkyB kept the service running for the Squariels for a year or 2 after the merger between BSB & Sky, so they must have been out of use for almost 20 years.
                          Yep, they were marketed by BSB (British Satellite Broadcasting - "It's smart to be square"), and were intended only for BSB's broadcasts from the Marco Polo satellites which were somewhat higher powered than Astra.

Comment

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=lee...55.87,,0,-3.63

They had a massive stigma attached to them, I remember my dads mates all mocking the guy that had a squariel back in the day.

Comment

Newsletters/Fan Clubs. I guess this has been replaced by Emails. I remember most computer software houses including forms in the cassette inlay to join the Fan Clubs and get a regular Newsletter about forthcoming games and competitions. It's all online now of course.

Comment

The post arriving before everyone left for work.

Comment

Working...
                                X