Dogs - then and now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs - then and now

A place to reminisce about the dogs we grew up with, the dogs we have now, and the joy they bring to our lives. Pictures especially welcomed.

When I was about 2 or 3 years old, my parents bought a dachshund, a red miniature bitch, and she lived for about 18 years. I think of her as the most memorable and beloved pet we ever had. Of course we had other dogs, and a number of different breads, including a Great Dane. But our sweet and gorgeous dachshund will always be so important to me.

I have pictures somewhere, but I need to scan them and download. Until then, this image I found online gives you an idea.

I wish I was in a position to own a dog today.

Anyone have any stories of pet dogs from years ago, or perhaps want to talk about the dogs they have today?

Re: Dogs - then and now

I never tire of listening to how I got my first dog Rusty

Apparently I was on the way to the hospital on the bus because I was born with a cleft pallet and needed an operation, anyway there we were Mum and I sat on the bus , me only 12 months old started to reach into the ladys shopping bag who was sat next to us.
    My mum told me off for being nosey but the lady smiled and said 'thats ok,she knows whats in there',she then showed my mum the bag was full of tiny puppies (half Alsatian/half Labrador.)
    The lady said she was on her way to the pet shop with them but if I would like one I could take my pick,sadly Mum explained we were on route to the hospital so we couldn't possibly except

Then a few days later there was a knock at the door, there stood the lady with a little rusty coloured pup in hand, she told mum she often passed our house on the bus and had seen us kids playing in the garden,so she knew were we lived

Rusty joined our family roughly on my first birthday and I was 14 when he died, we've had plenty of dogs since and I've loved them all, but Rusty was MY dog so will always have a special place in my heart.
    Heather

Comment

thats so nice heather that you can remember it so well after all these yrs.

as you say you had other dogs but you classed rusty as your own.
      im sure you still remember him.
      must have been awful when that sad day came.
      FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

What a lovely story, Heather.

Comment

Our dog Jemma is coming up to 15 months old.

My husband was 50 last September and a few weeks before that, no1 daughter was on holiday in Wales with her boyfriend and his family. They visited a farm and saw some Border Collie puppies...

Yes, you guessed it. She connived with her brother and sister and bought the puppy as a special birthday gift for their Dad. This involved Jemma travelling home on her lap in a cardboard box in the boyfriend's Triumph Spitfire.

The reaction was not as anticipated: "You needn't think we're keeping THAT!"

"But Dad you always said you would have a dog when you got older." (ouch)

Ten minutes later.

"What's her name, anyway?"

"She hasn't got a name Dad, that's up to you, it's your dog..."

He was sold by then lol

Anyway, five days after his birthday he had a heart attack. Jemma was a godsend as she played an important part in his rehab/recovery as he took her regular walks.

We can't imagine family life without her now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image124.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	259812

Name:	Image025.jpg
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	259813
          "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Oh Jacqueline, Jemma looks beautiful.

As I said previously, I wish I was in a position to have a dog.

I think I may have inadvertantly started a thread that's going to be rather painful for me lol.

Comment

How's your hubby doing now Jacqueline?,hope he's feeling better and that he's bonded with the dog

Comment

What a lovely thread MB! I love hearing stories about pets, being an animal lover.

I never had a dog as a child, but my first dog was a border collie/springer spaniel cross called Bonnie. I got her in 1986 as a puppy and she was a lovely natured, intelligent dog.
                She moved with us from Luton to Cornwall and when my sons were born she was really concerned when they cried and she played along with them riding on her back, pulling her tail etc. when they were growing up.
                We lost her aged 15 in 2001. Devastating. :cry:

I now have a chihuahua called Clyde. I have had him for 13 years from a pup and he's my best friend.

Name:	Clyde - Copy.jpg
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	259821
                sigpic
                'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

My sister had a dog (she's 11 years older then me) but when she left home, she asked if my parents could look after him for a while, we ended up keeping him! lol his name was Sam and my sister got him from battersey dog's home, we weren't really sure of his breed, think he was a cross between an alsatian and something else?? Will add a pic He was so funny, he would give us a big smile and was so playful
                  My parents then bought a dog for me! a Lhasa Apso, his name was Showa Solitaire, he was a show dog but the owner decided to sell him as he wasn't winning because of his flat nose apparently! We just called him Solly though lol When we first got him, he didn't really know how to do much, as he was used to being carried everywhere, he lived in a bungalow, so had never gone up and down stairs, luckily we had Sam and he taught Solly everything lol they were soon running around together and were unseperable, Sam even held Solly's lead when we went for walks lol

They both passed away some years ago, Sam was first, then Solly, they were both 16

I've just noticed I don't have many pics of them on my laptop, so will have to add a very old pic of me and my hubby with the dogs on our laps lol

Name:	12662_218297290319_715010319_4672617_5990409_n[1].jpg
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	259822

Comment

Oh Kazboot and Amethyst. I really enjoyed reading those posts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hooper68 View Post
                      How's your hubby doing now Jacqueline?,hope he's feeling better and that he's bonded with the dog
                      My husband had a multiple bypass operation at the end of July and is now doing brilliantly. He started a phased return to work (3 days per week) last week. Thanks for asking.

Yes he has bonded with the dog. She follows him EVERYWHERE and goes completely bonkers on his return if he goes anywhere without her.
                      "She moves in such an exciting world!"

Comment

Glad to hear your hubby's on the mend, Jacqueline

Dogs are so therapeutic. My dogs have helped me through many a difficult time I can tell you.
                        sigpic
                        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Working...
                        X