No announcement yet.

A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A Return To 70s Hammer/Amicus mayhem..

A new one staffslad. Good luck.

synopsis: In 1928 England, David Ash , an American professor, who has spent a majority of his life working in the field of parapsychology to disprove the existence of ghosts. travels to an isolated mansion which is owned by a strange family of three siblings..

1 & 2: Name the film and actor who played David Ash.

3: Hayley Mills plays an heiress in this 1972 psycho thriller.

4: '68 film with satanic themes starred two horror icons.. one based in America.

5: synopsis: Which Frankenstein. A bloke walking down the foggy streets of olde London towne only to become the victim of a machete-wielding maniac.

Comment

1. Yes, The Man who Haunted Himself. I like this one. I remember the first time I saw it--probably its first showing on UK TV in the BBC1 monday 9.25pm film slot after the 9pm news. I saw the trailer for it just prior to the news and begged my parents to be allowed to stay up late to watch it--10pm was bedtime for me at that time and the film didn't end until about 10.45pm. Luckily, they agreed and I felt so grown up sitting there watching it after my parents had gone to bed.

4. It is in the scene where Frankenstein assists Helder while the latter attaches a pair of hands to the creature. Frankenstein has to grip an artery with his teeth to prevent it spurting blood. This bit used to be trimmed out of prints.

6. Not Wheatley. It was Ronald Chetwynd Hayes. Carradine played him in The Monster Club and Vincent Price, playing a vampire, puts the bite on him until he finds that he is RCH, whereupon he takes the author to the Monster Club where the 3 segments are related. RCH wrote the stories upon which the segments in From Beyond the Grave were based.

Okay, Donald, I am on the case for your quiz.....

Comment

Originally posted by Donald the Great View Post
        1: The Man Who haunted Himself. Roger Moore. I found myself enjoying this.
        I saw this in the cinema when it came out! Probably Moore's best acting performance on screen!
        Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

A new one staffslad. Good luck.

synopsis: In 1928 England, David Ash , an American professor, who has spent a majority of his life working in the field of parapsychology to disprove the existence of ghosts. travels to an isolated mansion which is owned by a strange family of three siblings..

1 & 2: Name the film and actor who played David Ash.

3: Hayley Mills plays an heiress in this 1972 psycho thriller.

4: '68 film with satanic themes starred two horror icons.. one based in America.

5: synopsis: Which Frankenstein. A bloke walking down the foggy streets of olde London towne only to become the victim of a machete-wielding maniac.

1. and 2. Haunted and it was Aidan Quinn. I recommend the novel by James Herbert upon which it is based, also the two further Ash novels, Ghosts of Sleith and Ash.

3. That would be Endless Night. Hywel Bennett yet again starred opposite Mills--they were almost a double act at that time.

4. Curse of the Crimson Altar with Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee being the two biggies, but not forgetting Barbara Steele, the leading lady of 60s Italian gothic cinema.

5. Frankenstein must be Destroyed. The Baron wears a rubber mask. Interesting that at the end Frankenstein's hands are badly burned and this is carried into Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell whereupon the Baron cannot do delicate surgery anymore due to the burns and needs Helder's help--nice bit of continuity.

I'll post another quiz later on...

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
            I saw this in the cinema when it came out! Probably Moore's best acting performance on screen!

It was, I agree, a really good performance from Sir Roger, and radically different from anything he did before or after.

One of my regrets is that I was, due to age, unable to see any of the films that I love from the 60s/70s at the cinema. Even the largest TV at home just isn't the same as the cinema experience imo.

Comment

Here is another quiz:

1. In 1974, Hammer made Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires in Hong Kong as a UK-Hong Kong co-production. A second film was also made under the agreement. The Cush again starred, but his role was smaller this time. What was the title?

2. Synopsis: In the English countryside, a scientist tries to revive nazis who were frozen at the end of WWII. What was the film?

3. In Dracula has Risen from the Grave, how was the Count resurrected?

4. Which actress, a former Dr Who companion, came to a nasty end in Blood on Satan's Claw?

5. In tales that witness Madness, what transport device was used as a means of contact with the past in one of the segments?

6. In 1980, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb was remade with a famous Hollywood actor playing the lead. What was the film and who was the actor?

Comment

Originally posted by staffslad View Post
                1. and 2. Haunted and it was Aidan Quinn. I recommend the novel by James Herbert upon which it is based, also the two further Ash novels, Ghosts of Sleith and Ash.

3. That would be Endless Night. Hywel Bennett yet again starred opposite Mills--they were almost a double act at that time.

4. Curse of the Crimson Altar with Boris Karloff and Christopher Lee being the two biggies, but not forgetting Barbara Steele, the leading lady of 60s Italian gothic cinema.

5. Frankenstein must be Destroyed. The Baron wears a rubber mask. Interesting that at the end Frankenstein's hands are badly burned and this is carried into Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell whereupon the Baron cannot do delicate surgery anymore due to the burns and needs Helder's help--nice bit of continuity.

I'll post another quiz later on...
                Is there any Brit horror film you dont know staffslad. Very impressive again. I enjoyed Haunted.. different from a lot of ghosties. Could say original. Were those two other novels adapted into film or television?

Comment

Here is another quiz:

1. In 1974, Hammer made Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires in Hong Kong as a UK-Hong Kong co-production. A second film was also made under the agreement. The Cush again starred, but his role was smaller this time. What was the title?

2. Synopsis: In the English countryside, a scientist tries to revive nazis who were frozen at the end of WWII. What was the film?

3. In Dracula has Risen from the Grave, how was the Count resurrected?

4. Which actress, a former Dr Who companion, came to a nasty end in Blood on Satan's Claw?

5. In tales that witness Madness, what transport device was used as a means of contact with the past in one of the segments?

6. In 1980, Blood from the Mummy's Tomb was remade with a famous Hollywood actor playing the lead. What was the film and who was the actor?
                  This will take some thinking about staffslad. 2: The Cush starred in something about Nazi zombies.. that one? Will take an educated guess on 4. blood from a vampire bat. 5: is the penny farthing cycle. 6: I have not heard of. wild guess Resurrection. Gregory Peck.

Comment

This will take some thinking about staffslad. 2: The Cush starred in something about Nazi zombies.. that one? Will take an educated guess on 4. blood from a vampire bat. 5: is the penny farthing cycle. 6: I have not heard of. wild guess Resurrection. Gregory Peck.

So far as I am aware, only Haunted of the David Ash trilogy of novels has been filmed.

5. Yes, the penny farthing bicycle.

Hints for the rest...

1. It starred Stuart Whitman. Not a horror film, but many would say it is a horror of a film.

2. I know the one you mean with the Cush, but not that one. This one was made in the 60s and has an American as lead actor.

3. Blood was involved but not from a bat.

4. She shares a first name with Peter Pan's human female friend.

6. Not Peck, the actor starred in a famous chariot race and the title had two words, sort of what you do when emerging from sleep.

Comment

was #2 They Saved Hitler's Brain?
                      Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

Originally posted by zabadak View Post
                        was #2 They Saved Hitler's Brain?
                        Not that one, Zabadak, though the one I am looking for does have a head in a dish like They Saved Hitler's Brain. Another hint is that it is a 3 word title and one word is the same as an incredibly popular Disney film from a few years ago.

Comment

1. Yes, The Man who Haunted Himself. I like this one. I remember the first time I saw it--probably its first showing on UK TV in the BBC1 monday 9.25pm film slot after the 9pm news. I saw the trailer for it just prior to the news and begged my parents to be allowed to stay up late to watch it--10pm was bedtime for me at that time and the film didn't end until about 10.45pm. Luckily, they agreed and I felt so grown up sitting there watching it after my parents had gone to bed.

4. It is in the scene where Frankenstein assists Helder while the latter attaches a pair of hands to the creature. Frankenstein has to grip an artery with his teeth to prevent it spurting blood. This bit used to be trimmed out of prints.

6. Not Wheatley. It was Ronald Chetwynd Hayes. Carradine played him in The Monster Club and Vincent Price, playing a vampire, puts the bite on him until he finds that he is RCH, whereupon he takes the author to the Monster Club where the 3 segments are related. RCH wrote the stories upon which the segments in From Beyond the Grave were based.

Okay, Donald, I am on the case for your quiz.....
                          I had no idea about the Frankenstein question. Not sure I have heard of Chetwynd-Hayes. Will look him up. What other of his stories were adapted for televion or film?

Comment

So far as I am aware, only Haunted of the David Ash trilogy of novels has been filmed.

5. Yes, the penny farthing bicycle.

Hints for the rest...

1. It starred Stuart Whitman. Not a horror film, but many would say it is a horror of a film.

2. I know the one you mean with the Cush, but not that one. This one was made in the 60s and has an American as lead actor.

3. Blood was involved but not from a bat.

4. She shares a first name with Peter Pan's human female friend.

6. Not Peck, the actor starred in a famous chariot race and the title had two words, sort of what you do when emerging from sleep.
                            6: Charlton Heston. The Awakening? I will pass on 1.

2: The Frozen Dead
                            with the wooden Dana (that is female name) Andrews.

3: One of his former victims?

4: Never watched Peter Pan. Only heard of the fairy..Tinkerbell?

Comment

New ones.....

1: How did the count die in the first ever Hammer Dracula.

2: schlocky 60s b&w witchcraft film.

3: Name the male lead ..

4: Who played Mrs Von Sturm in The Psychopath (66)

5: synopsis: From the opening scenes - where a man is chased by something through a spooky dark wood - to the shock ending on the railway station, this film is a classic in every sense of the word. Name the film.

Comment

I had no idea about the Frankenstein question. Not sure I have heard of Chetwynd-Hayes. Will look him up. What other of his stories were adapted for televion or film?

I believe it was just From Beyond the Grave and The Monster Club. He is an author I don't often come back to; for every story of his that I like, there is at least one that I don't. He could be very good as in the stories chosen for From Beyond the Grave and to a lesser extent The Monster Club. I will give him his due that his editorship of the Fontana Book of Ghost Stories series produced some very good volumes. If you want a chuckle, check out the end of The Monster Club where you will see Vincent Price and John Carradine--as RCH--disco dancing.

Comment

Working...
                                X