Vosene

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vosene

In the 70s Vosene contained one of my favourite toiletry ingredients (I was a big reader in the bath). It was Sulphosuccinated Undecylenic Monoalkylolamide. It's probably been renamed now, or removed altogether because it was found to cause blindness in beagles or something.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Vosene

Here's a link to a couple of old Vosene adverts: http://www2.tv-ark.org.uk/adverts/v.html
    Here's a link to one from 1984 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV7G7PihUXQ
    The tune featured on the 1978 ad is almost identical to that used in the 1984 ad. Does it sound familiar to anyone?
    "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

mmmmmmm i loved the smell of vosene.......a nice 'clean' smell .......i'm sure you can still buy it today

Comment

Ugh! Hated the smell of Vosene

Comment

Actually it doesn't retain its old smell these days, at least the one I use doesn't.
          "The answer to the ultimate question, of life, the universe and everything is .....42"

Comment

I remember the Smell of Vosine was a bit weird, quite chemically.

The bottles had a built in nozzle so you didn't have to worry about loosing the lid.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember twisting mam's arm to buy a bottle as we didn't usually get it. I'm sure the ad men didn't have 7 year olds in mind but it worked on me, perhaps because of the little kids in the advert and I liked the the drop shape and green colours on the packaging.

The shampoo wasn't great though. Small bottle, funny menthol smell and I also remember a little cross shaped thing inside the nozzle. What was that for? Sifting out impurities like bottles of cooking oil? Goodness knows. We didn't get it again after that one bottle.
              1976 Vintage

Comment

bought a bottle of vosene today.........even in the 70's the bottle had quite a unique shape and today it doesn't fail in design style.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	vosene.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	260156

Comment

So I got myself a bottle of vosene to compare to the product of old. Went for the 'original' version. Label says new look so I gather that funny shaped bottle is a new thing. If I remember correctly, old vosene was dark green and transparent when poured out. This stuff is transparent but is a light brown colour. Tellingly, caramel is listed as one of the ingredients, but there is no sign of any sulphosuccinated undecylenic monoalkyloamide even though it claims to contain the 'same trusted formula'. One thing is the same though. The smell!
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

One of the old versions was a light brown IIRC.
                    The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I wonder what it looked like when it first became available in 1949 or whatever year it might have been.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        One of the old versions was a light brown IIRC.
                        hmm, perhaps I am wrong about the original colour. Perhaps it was brown!
                        1976 Vintage

Comment

I don't think Vosene has either the same smell or the same lather as it used to. Years ago you used to look like the abominable snowman while you were using it, and the suds dripped all over everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by myself View Post
                            I don't think Vosene has either the same smell or the same lather as it used to. Years ago you used to look like the abominable snowman while you were using it, and the suds dripped all over everywhere.
                            I've got a green bottle of it for a pound and, as Doris Day would say, it smells like it always does.

Comment

Working...
                            X