Playdoh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playdoh

Whether it's the smell that you've never been able to forget, or you're still finding bits of it in your parent's carpets, Playdoh has stuck with us (literally!). We might not remember exactly what it was we moulded out of this clay-like, non-toxic, coloured dough, but that never mattered that much when Play-doh was concerned. A lot of time, in fact, was spent daring your mates to lick the Play-doh, or (gasp!) eat a little bit, just to see if they'd die or not. It was only when we got bored of that, or wise to the fact that nothing happened - it just tasted really, really salty - that we'd actually start playing with it. But where did it come from, you may well ask?Joe McVicker is the answer, when in 1956 he tested out a clay he'd made from wallpaper paste on some local kids. That imaginative bunch Aaggghhh! I remember my mum trying to the Playdoh out of the carpet! Playdoh came in lots of colours, mine used to come in strips that were kinda like corregated cardboard. I used my mums pastry cutters to make shapes but at a young age was more interested in eating it.In the old days it was dangerous to eat and it really was impossible to get it off carpets and furniture - todays stuff is great as it's safe and does not stick!

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Playdoh

Was playdough really invented in 1956? When I was at school in the 60s and 70s we only had plastiscine.
    sigpic
    'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Seems to be correct Kaz
      Play Doh - Who Invented Play Doh?
      Heather

Comment

Well I never!
        I don't know which smells better though, Play Dough or plastiscine!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

I had play doh as a kid (tub only ) but nothing as good as Barber's Shop and yesterday I saw Magic Swirl Ice Cream Shoppe in Rymans window yesterday. Is this a remake or a new invention from Play Doh? If I had a kid I would buy it so I could have a go too!

Comment

OOoh the much coveted Barbershop! Can't tell you how much I wanted that! But I never got it, nor any play doh in any shape or form. Mine was very much a plasticine childhood.
            1976 Vintage

Comment

It was always the smell for me, don't know why, there was just something about it.

Comment

i was shocked to read that playdough was invented in the 50s ......i bought my children many pots of playdough and the shape makers too for hours of fun.....playdough is great because of the nice bright colours and it's easier to work than plasticine

Comment

Working...
                X