Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan

Led by lead singer David Sylvian and his brother Steve Jansen (drums), Mick Karn (fretless bass), Richard Barbieri (keyboards). On the fringe of 80s New Romantic scene. Their first really memorable hit was 'Quiet life', from the album of the same name. Their last studio album was 'Tin-drum', featuring Cantonese Boy, Visions Of China, Ghosts. Split about 1982. David Sylvian co-wrote the theme to 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' (starring David Bowie), with Ryuichi Sakamoto, who also was in the film.The theme was called 'Forbidden Colours'.

More...
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Re: Japan

Love Japan. Their single 'Ghosts' is brilliant. I recall playing it over and over again at the time. There is a really nice live version here:

YouTube - Japan: Ghosts

Comment

Mick karn!

Comment

for the umpteenth time, the mesmorisingly beautiful 'Forbidden Colours'

DS&RS Forbidden Colours

live version:
        youtube FC
        sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Probably one of the most underrated bands of the 80s, along with Bauhaus. Their 1st album was unusual. Completely different sound, like a kind of punky Roxy Music, who I think Sylvian was emulating vocally later on. I had a best of cassette in the late 80s that I pretty much wore through. So much of their stuff was so cool and atmospheric, like Night Porter and Ghosts, and then you'd get fun little numbers like Talking Drum and Visions Of China. Excellent band!
          Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Mick Karn was in Dali's Car, don't know much about them but Q featured it in a feature about sub-par albums by established artists, including spin-off projects.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
              Mick Karn was in Dali's Car, don't know much about them but Q featured it in a feature about sub-par albums by established artists, including spin-off projects.
              Dali's Car, funnily enough was Mick Karn and Peter Murphy from Bauhaus. I probably still have a copy of it on a tape somewhere. It wasn't bad, just not as great as you'd expect.

I also have the Rain Tree Crow album somewhere, too, which was the much awaited re-forming of all the original members of Japan, but apart from maybe 2 tracks, it was hugely disappointing.
              Official archivist: , July 24 2010 Guardian Technology.

Comment

Sad to report Mick Karn has just announced he's been diagnosed with advanced Cancer

Comment

Working...
                X