Cameo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cameo

The song "Word Up" was the big song for Cameo, a one hit wonder of the 80's. I loved it, it was a good song to get a good beat going to dance to.#So what's the word, Word Up!#

More...

Re: Cameo

Single Life is a much better song than Word Up, but some people reckoned the lyric was homophobic so it never gets played.

Comment

Originally posted by stockportyears View Post
      Single Life is a much better song than Word Up, but some people reckoned the lyric was homophobic so it never gets played.
      How could 'Single Life' be considered homophobic?? It's a very straight forward song with nothing offensive or homophobic IMO.
      Last edited by stuckinthe80's; 02-11-2010, 17:19.
      Heaven knows I'm miserable now.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
        How could 'Single Life' be considered homophobic??
        Well basically, he's singing that he's still single but adds 'Don't get the wrong idea 'bout me' and the guys in the band shouting 'I'm straight'. How it was explained to me was that it portrays an old attitude that any unmarried male is possibly seen as gay, and thus in a negative light. I wasn't allowed to play it on Hospital Radio, and I can see a point when I think about the lyric, but when we were listening to it in the 80s, we just thought 'this is a stonking dance tune'.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Seems like something innocent has been twisted a bit! Seems a bit extreme not to allow it to be played on hospital radio. Its not NWA afterall!

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinthe80's View Post
            Hmmmmm. Seems like something innocent has been twisted a bit! Seems a bit extreme not to allow it to be played on hospital radio. Its not NWA afterall!
            lol, I know, there was a list of songs we couldn't play for the most bizarre reasons. Anything that included reference to death, which is understandable, but there were some really odd ones on the list, like Single Life, and The Air That I Breathe by The Hollies, I never bothered even to ask why for that one.

Comment

I dread to think! Cameo were great though. The 'Word up' album is really good. 'Don't Be Lonely' is an excellent track. Also love 'She's Strange' and 'Back and Forth'. A very over looked band.

Comment

No-one mentioned that tight red cod-piece yet! (until now!)
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                  No-one mentioned that tight red cod-piece yet! (until now!)
                  As soon as I saw the thread title a vision of The Cod-Piece was right there infront of my eyes
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                  X