Ian Dury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ian Dury

Founder and lead singer for 'Ian Dury and the Blockheads'. Ian Dury was well known for being one of the best groups in the New Wave Music Scene. Ian Robins Dury was born in London in 1942, he contracted polio at the age of 7 and studied Art, which he later went onto teach at various colleges in the South of England.The band Formed in 1977, they disbanded and reformed many times. Dury died of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer in March 2000. The band still tour to date.Some of his most memorable hits included:"What a Waste""Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3" "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll"

More...

Re: Ian Dury

tbf, this thread reminded me to watch 'Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick' on YouTube, this must be the ULTIMATE late 1970s record - a perfect mix of cool disco musicianship and punk attitude, there is absolutely nothing you could add to or take away from that record that would make it any better. Bloomin genius.

Comment

I was too young to remember IJ&TB as a current group, but I've got into them over the years, & I'm on my 2nd compilation as the first I bought was very complete.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Hit me with your rhythm stick is one of the tunes in my 'first remember hearing' list. I used to sing it when I was three apparently
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by www.doyouremember.co.uk View Post
          Founder and lead singer for 'Ian Dury and the Blockheads'. Ian Dury was well known for being one of the best groups in the New Wave Music Scene. Ian Robins Dury was born in London in 1942, he contracted polio at the age of 7 and studied Art, which he later went onto teach at various colleges in the South of England.The band Formed in 1977, they disbanded and reformed many times. Dury died of Metastatic Colorectal Cancer in March 2000. The band still tour to date.Some of his most memorable hits included:"What a Waste""Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part 3" "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll"

More...

yes i remember him well.
          particularly hit me with your rhythm stick.
          that just sticks im my head.
          FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I remember "Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick" from early teenagehood. Also "Sex & Drugs & Rock n' Roll", "What a Waste" and "Reasons to be Cheerful Part 3" (what happened to parts 1 & 2?).

Dury also sang the theme tune to the TV version of the Diary of Adrian Mole, "Profoundly in Love with Pandora".

Check out fellow writer and musician Chaz Jankel. I bought his greatest hits album a few years ago. I always remember seeing "Number One" but I can't remember where. Apparently it was in the movie Real Genius so it must have been there. He wrote "Ai No Corrida" which was a hit for Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson's producer.

Comment

Working...
            X