Length of threads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Length of threads

Any thoughts of a cut off point on threads, say after 50. I have noticed that some of the older ones go into the hundreds so its difficult to take on the plot after so long?
    The eyes have it!
    sigpic

Re: Length of threads

I understand the problem, but if we cut off the thread then how will people continue talking about it? Any ideas for a better system?
    Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
    http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

I would suggest after a week or so the original thrust of the thread is gone. If it was still listed ,as appears to be the case, for another period say 1 month before it is dropped fine. Should anyone want to take up the same theme then start a new thread as a MarkII or whatever?
      The eyes have it!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pedro View Post
        I would suggest after a week or so the original thrust of the thread is gone. If it was still listed ,as appears to be the case, for another period say 1 month before it is dropped fine. Should anyone want to take up the same theme then start a new thread as a MarkII or whatever?
        thats a good idea.....some of the threads have been given new life after nearly 2 years

Comment

Originally posted by Cal View Post
          thats a good idea.....some of the threads have been given new life after nearly 2 years
          oh my god why do I get the feeling thats me, sounds like the kind of thing I'd do!!
          Heather

Comment

why cut them? If they are taking too much room on the server, fine. But for others new to the site,they might be just what they are searching for.
            I say leave 'em alone
            One thing you could look at is stopping all those Yahoo slurp spiders

Comment

I agree Daz, I felt guilty there for a minute, but they are very interesting, and sometime you can find what you are looking for,without having to post,which is good for people who've not joined.Thats why I wanted a search thing, so I'm not bugging people every 5 mins, err ok every two.lol
              Heather

Comment

I might be a bit stupid but what are yahoo slurp spiders?

Buzz

Comment

If you look on that burgundy bar at the top and go to "quick links",then scroll to bottom, you will see a "who's online" box. Click that and it tells you who's viewing or doing what.sometimes there are more YSS's on here than guests or members.They are meant to collect info for yahoo search engines,but so little info actually gets passed back and used by Yahoo,its a waste of time having them on here.plus who uses yahoo to search?? (apart from my mum)

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Not used to all this technical jargon.

Buzz

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                      oh my god why do I get the feeling thats me, sounds like the kind of thing I'd do!!

no no no dear, didnt mean it in a bad way, what i ment by the comment was that when your reading a fresh post on an old thread you sometimes need to go all the way back to the start to get the jist of whats been said...and when its 8-10 pages long

each to there own...post away and dont feel bad

chris

Comment

Lol chris, not to worry, i was just joking,I read the threads at the start and the first few, then jump to the last pages,what I dont do is check out the post date on the thread.I was laughing at myself,and not getting at you.
                        Heather

Comment

OK Daz but surely threads could be archived for searchers of topics and anyways if a thread is ressurrected after a time perhaps a newer member may have more or different info?
                          The eyes have it!
                          sigpic

Comment

Ok

Comment

Unless anyone convinces me that the current system is causing any real problems, then we'll leave it as it is since it's not doing ay harm and may actually be useful for some people.

WRT Yahoo spiders - they're not doing any harm either so I'll leave to carry on doing what they're doing. Who knows, maybe Daz's mum will find us on Yahoo and join in the fun
                              Do You Remember the 70s, 80s and 90s?
                              http://www.DoYouRemember.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X