Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: One Hit Wonders

Originally posted by Popsicle View Post
    I used to like New Musik! They had about 4 UK hit singles, "Straight Lines" and "Living By Numbers" were a couple, as well as "Sanctuary". I also have the albums "From A to B" and "Anywhere" and last year managed to get the former on a CD re-issue.
    Red Box had two UK top 10 hits, as well as "Lean On Me" they also hit with "For America". I have the vinyl album somewhere, called "The Circle and the Square", but I have not come across it on CD.
    You got me on The Planets one though - I can't seem to remember that one at the moment!
    If anyone can find the circle and the square on CD in a boot sale or flea market. I would say it's a good idea to snap it up. I've just checked Ebay and there is one going on there for £135! I'll be keeping my eye out for it myself. I really want a copy of this one on CD. I've managed to get original CD's for most of my vinyl from the 80s and this one sadly keeps eluding me.

Comment

Try typing some of these songs into Youtube.............

Just found Owen Paul, Wax Red Box to name a few.

Comment

Some of the greatest "one hit wonders" - mostly from the 70,s; Video killed the radio star - the Buggles - Haven't stopped dancing yet - Gonzalez, Movie star - Harpo, I love the nightlife (disco round) - Alicia Bridges, Convoy - ??, Putting on the Ritz - Taco, Locomotion ('79 Disco version) - the Ritz, Egyptian Reggae - ??, One way ticket - Eruption, Trojan horse - ??, Da Da Da - the trio, Pop Muzik - M, Moonlight feels right - Starbuck, Gonna get along without you now (Disco version) Viola Wills, Angel is a centrefold -J Gells Band ... I coulod name a few more ... Oh, a special favourite I would like to add; Sucker DJ by Dimples D...
        Last edited by Rapanui; 18-01-2008, 23:37. Reason: ADDITONAL COMMENT

Comment

• Re: reynolds girls

Originally posted by koukou View Post
          Does anyone remember the Reynolds GIrls with their unforgettable (!) hit 'I'd Rather Jack ? Went along the lines of "I'd rather jack, than fleetwood mac".
          I had this video clip on a music video - their dancing sort of put me in mind of plumper and inferior version of a Mel and Kim dance rountine

Comment

Originally posted by JBDJ View Post
            Sorry if im being rude by pointing out the above 3 posts, but this is such a cool thread and a **** hot subject.

Appologies to those concerned. No disrespect ment!

Not read all the pages on this topic ( yet), but heres a couple thrown into the ring that may or may not have been thought off

Trio - DA DA DA (82)
            Blue Zoo - Cry Boy Cry (83)
            Kissing the Pink - The Last Film (83)
            Marilyn - Calling My Name(83)
            Berlin - Take My Breath Away (86)
            Spitting Image - Chicken Song (86)
            Young Ones (with Cliff) - Living Doll (86)
            Will Powers - Kissing With Confidence (83)
            Morris Minor & the Majors - Stutter Rap (88)
            Harry Enfield - Loadsamoney (88)
            Men Without Hats - Saftey Dance (83)
            The Assemby (Vince Clark & Fergal Sharkey) - Never Never (83)

anyone remember any of these????
            I remember Da Da Da by Trio- weren't they German? I used to thrash the record Callling your name by Marilyn - wasn't Marilyn a friend of Boy George's. Didn't Berlin also have a hit with " No more Words"? and wasn't Terry Nunn, lead singer from Berlin, the actress who starred in the Disco movie "Thank God it's Friday" - I think she played Valerie Landburg's underage "wannabe" Disco dancing pal ...?

Comment

Originally posted by JBDJ View Post
              Sorry if im being rude by pointing out the above 3 posts, but this is such a cool thread and a **** hot subject.

Appologies to those concerned. No disrespect ment!

Not read all the pages on this topic ( yet), but heres a couple thrown into the ring that may or may not have been thought off

Trio - DA DA DA (82)
              Blue Zoo - Cry Boy Cry (83)
              Kissing the Pink - The Last Film (83)
              Marilyn - Calling My Name(83)
              Berlin - Take My Breath Away (86)
              Spitting Image - Chicken Song (86)
              Young Ones (with Cliff) - Living Doll (86)
              Will Powers - Kissing With Confidence (83)
              Morris Minor & the Majors - Stutter Rap (88)
              Harry Enfield - Loadsamoney (88)
              Men Without Hats - Saftey Dance (83)
              The Assemby (Vince Clark & Fergal Sharkey) - Never Never (83)

anyone remember any of these????
              Originally posted by Aidan View Post
              Rock Your Baby ( George McRae )
              Have you heard the 1985 remix version of Rock your baby - that is my favourite version

Comment

Oh some more I have thought of; Funky Town - Lipps inc, Body and soul - Mai Tai, Dance the body music - Osabisa, street singing - lady flash, did you boogie with your baby - Flash cadillac and the continental kids ...

Comment

Nope..Mai tai's biggest hit was 'history', and Osibisa are very well known for 'sunshine day', and thats just off the top of my (p*ssed) head

Comment

Yeah Right, I forgot all about History... and come to think of it I might even have that record stashed away somewhere ...

Comment

Originally posted by nottrikk View Post
                      If anyone can find the circle and the square on CD in a boot sale or flea market. I would say it's a good idea to snap it up. I've just checked Ebay and there is one going on there for £135! I'll be keeping my eye out for it myself. I really want a copy of this one on CD. I've managed to get original CD's for most of my vinyl from the 80s and this one sadly keeps eluding me.
                      As far as I know there still isn't a Western CD reissue of The Circle and the Square, only a long-deleted Japanese release. Get a decent recording off the vinyl and burn your own

Comment

Originally posted by Grackle View Post
                        Convoy G.B. - Laurie Lingo & the Dipsticks ... ok, that's a bit of a cheat, the "band" was actually DJs Dave Lee Travis and Paul Burnett, doing a parody of "Convoy". But it did reach #4
                        Paul Burnett went on to release "Rugged And Mean, Butch And On Screen" as The Pee Bee Squad, in 1985.

"R. Is for the rocket shells that bounce right off his head
                        A. Is for the anti-tank gun he cuddles up in bed..."
                        Please don't tell anybody
                        that we're the real Duran Duran!
                        We're just happy pretending
                        to be our own greatest fans...

( Mitch Benn)

Comment

A 70s no.1 & 1HW into the bargain that I don't believe I've ever heard, but heard loads about - No Charge ( JJ Barrie ). They tended to go in for schmuck like that back then.

Comment

Great topic - loads of memories of really trashy songs from the past...although I have a question, why can't I get Doctorin' the Tardis from the iTunes store?

Originally posted by Grackle View Post
                            How does success in other countries affect 1HW status?
                            Good question - both the Divinyls and Mental as Anything had more Australian hits - neither would be classed as one hit wonders here. The Mentals had 13 hits above #25 in the AU charts...

...ah, the mid 80s when Martin Plaza (lead singer from the Mentals) performing on Countdown had us teenage girls swooning....

Comment

Pseudo Echo-Funkytown ^

Comment

Originally posted by Daz View Post
                                Pseudo Echo-Funkytown ^
                                Ha, Daz, are you forgetting their other 6 Aussie Top 10 hits..?

For the record: Listening, A Beat For You, Dancing Until Midnight, Don’t Go, Love An Adventure, Living In A Dream

More great 80s haircuts and er, music from Countdown...and let us not forget the charming Vince Leigh (mullet to die for circa 1985)

Comment

Working...
                                X