Lene Lovich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lene Lovich

So, I decided on a new avatar recently, to replace the rather Greasy (no pun intended) one. I settled for the late 1970s (eccentric as they come) punk rocker/pop star/musician/singer Lene Lovich - don't ask me why, but I did. As the second wave of punk came around at the end of the 1970s and brought groups such as the Skids, hopefully washing away controversial groups such as the Sex Pistols, pop music was about to take a turn in a different direction. Whether she appeared on Top of the Pops or the Old Grey Whistle Test, she wouldn't have stood out on either show. Certainly in around 1981 some ITV regions was showing pre-closedown showings of her concerts, mostly at weekends and Bank Holidays.

A comment underneath one of her music videos on YouTube a few years ago remarked her as "Kate Bush on acid". Likewise, in addition to Bush, I also think of other eccentric female singers of the 1979-1982 era - Kate Bush does feel like an one inspired the other, chicken and egg. Others were mostly American but some were also of other nationalities such as Toni Basil singing Mickey and others (who I gave a CD of her hits when I ordered twice by mistake as a belated Christmas present to someone I know who was too young to remember her - cue Basil on the CD cover dressed as a cheerleader and looking as if she was taking part in a 1982 series of Glee); Toyah (Wilcox of course - a wild child); Kim Wilde (also Wilde by name and nature); and Japanese Boy (or in real life, Scottish Girl) Mary Sandeman, known by her stage name Aneka. A 1990s equivalent of Lovich could be Iceland's very own Bjork.

Lucky Number, the powerful sub-punk song which was in the British charts in February and March 1979 (and some of the lyrics of the first verse can be seen in my signature below), had an impression on me when I first remember hearing it on Radio Trent's Music Jam in around 1987-1988 - there was nothing one could do to make her change her mind - she was indeed, having so much fun. Quite sexy and horny lyrics. It was ironic that I first remember the tune in an advert and not as the song itself, which frequently happened when watching TV adverts and one associated a tune more with the advert rather than the song, but the again, my family was mostly an ITV household.

I was (vaguely) familiar with the tune growing up in the mid 1980s because it was used in an advert for KP peanuts which was shown on British TV in around 1982-1984 (in which I would never talk about anywhere else because no one else remembers it), and I had started a thread about it om here over a year ago, and has never appeared as part of an ad break of any off-air recording put online as far as I know, not even a Granada region premiere of a James Bond film. The tune even made it onto the 1978 BBC TV Christmas tape (in which Victor Lewis-Smith did not feature on TV Offal thank goodness), featuring internal staff seen in administrative parts, rewording the lyrics, Baron Knights-style - interesting how that (or Christmas 1978 itself) had pre-dated its chart run by a couple of months, and so I assume that it was already well-known towards the end of 1978.

I treated myself to a Lovich CD over Christmas to cheer myself up due to COVID and not being to spend my money going out for obvious reasons, and also due to getting a new CD radio cassette recorder (eBay ahoy) - I did have the same CD many years ago but it was played to death and was no longer serviceable. The fact that YouTube have her hit several times over on their website makes up for the fact that radio stations even skip the songs when it comes to Pick of the Pops and Name the Year programmes.

I suppose that I was having so much fun, and there was nothing can do to make me change my mind either....
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Definitely a fan of Lene Lovich's work, she's great.

Comment

Just seen Lucky Number on Now 70s - I had that inkling that it got to number three in 1979 (and that they would show it tonight), and I was absolutely correct.
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Sure there was a parody of lucky number advertising KP crisps

Comment

Originally posted by Semi42 View Post
          Sure there was a parody of lucky number advertising KP crisps
          Peanuts, not crisps.
          I'm having so much fun
          My lucky number's one
          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Yes, I remember the song - 1979 great eccentric song from an eccentric lady whose real love was clay sculptures (as in making them). When I think of her, Nina hagen and Siouxsie Sioux also pop into my mind by association although Hagen always scared me.

If memory serves I think Lene wrote a song called "Supernature" which I Ioved but someone else nicked it getting loads of royalties for it and she got into a legal fight with them. Don't know how it ended.

Comment

I am also the owner of a Lene Lovich t-shirt, I kid you not! Someone overseas was selling one on eBay, and so, I got it for myself:

Click image for larger version

Name:	zzzz Lucky Number 1.png
Views:	212
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	288893

By the way, it was a nice susprise to see that Neil Miles had downloaded a June/July 1983 HTV West ad break on YT which had that KP Nuts "Lucky Number" advert on it in January! (More on the other relevant KP Nuts thread). Very Time Capsule-esque.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Nice to see Lucky Number on disc 2 of NOW Yearbook 79.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                X