Vaporwave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vaporwave

In the last few years, I’ve been fascinated by Vaporwave. Although it began to show emergence in the early 2010’s, its popularity seemed to be prominent in the early 2020’s. I think this may have been due to the covid lockdown restrictions, where people were starting to make music from home in a bid to ease their boredom of confinement.

What is Vaporwave?

Well, it has its roots in plunderphonics, where an existing funky track from the 1980’s is slowed down and distorted, often with heavy use of reverb. The distortion aspect can also sound like the pitch changing and bad quality caused by listening to music on a worn-out VHS tape.

Other strong influences include Smooth-Jazz, City Pop (シティ・ポップ ) and Soft Rock from the mid to late 70’s. Note the use of the Japanese Katakana alphabet, which spells-out “City Pop” (pronounced “Shiti-Poppu”). This aesthetic and symbology appears to have continued with artworks, and sometimes includes blue and pink pastel colours, Ancient Greek statues, swimming pools, abandoned malls and retro technology.

Vaporwave isn’t solely composed music. It is sampling of 1970’s and 1980’s music, but rearranged to create something new.

Any thoughts on this micro-genre?

Discussions please
    Last edited by TubThumper; 27-04-2024, 11:45.

good

Comment

I'm familiar with it, and it is interesting. Musically I would describe it as like having a memory of a song and your brain trying to piece it together, or being able to hear a song in the distance that you recognise. The visuals very much tie in with '80s and '90s nostalgia, and definitely make me feel something. There seems to be a widespread yearning for this more simple and optimistic time. What's interesting is it even seems to be popular with Gen Z, even though they didn't live through that time, leading people to express feelings of nostalgia for a time they didn't know. That seems fairly unique to the '80s and '90s. I sense among people like me born in the '80s that there isn't a great fascination or longing for the '70s, although it could just be that I don't feel it myself.

Comment

Working...
      X