Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bands that chase the mighty dollar

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bands that chase the mighty dollar

    As a regular concert go-er in the 70s,80s and 90s it really gets my goat when i see bands who turn their backs on theatre and even arena tours in favour of the more lucrative festival and stadium circuit. One argument might be that a band becomes too big a draw to play arenas but back in the day a band would schedule multiple shows at the same venue in order to allow loyal fans...IE the people who bought all the albums,dvds etc the opportunity to see them.
    It was commonplace at one time for bands to go off on massive 150 date world tours which could last a whole year in order to reach as many fans as possible but now most "big"bands are happy to play half a dozen festivals or stadiums at £70 per seat and then go home to their mansions and do it all again next year, I remember seeing Thin lizzy three times in 1978 at Manchesters apollo theatre when tickets cost about £3 each, fast forward 41 years and Rammstein announce the british leg of their world tour ....Milton keynes stadium and coventry stadium..TWO SHOWS!....Ticket prices?..£70 each....Sorry guys but i feel better now i vented my spleen
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

  • #2
    Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

    For example.....
    Attached Files
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

      Zincubus....you got an opinion on this mate?
      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

        Rammstein have just added a third concert at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff as well, but at £70.00 a ticket, I will be giving it a miss!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

          Originally posted by Gothic View Post
          Rammstein have just added a third concert at the Principality Stadium in Cardiff as well, but at £70.00 a ticket, I will be giving it a miss!!
          Me too...in fairness Rammstein have a massive show this time around which would have to be scaled down for arenas but that's fine by me if more people get to see them
          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

            Originally posted by tex View Post
            Zincubus....you got an opinion on this mate?
            Well Kiss are in the news currently on yet another farewell tour .. raking in millions ...


            Iíve only seen negative reviews thus far ..


            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

              Originally posted by tex View Post
              As a regular concert go-er in the 70s,80s and 90s it really gets my goat when i see bands who turn their backs on theatre and even arena tours in favour of the more lucrative festival and stadium circuit. One argument might be that a band becomes too big a draw to play arenas but back in the day a band would schedule multiple shows at the same venue in order to allow loyal fans...IE the people who bought all the albums,dvds etc the opportunity to see them.
              It was commonplace at one time for bands to go off on massive 150 date world tours which could last a whole year in order to reach as many fans as possible but now most "big"bands are happy to play half a dozen festivals or stadiums at £70 per seat and then go home to their mansions and do it all again next year, I remember seeing Thin lizzy three times in 1978 at Manchesters apollo theatre when tickets cost about £3 each, fast forward 41 years and Rammstein announce the british leg of their world tour ....Milton keynes stadium and coventry stadium..TWO SHOWS!....Ticket prices?..£70 each....Sorry guys but i feel better now i vented my spleen
              OMG Iím so envious of you seeing Thin Lizzy !!


              One of my favourite bands Incubus ( still successful after nearly 30 years !) have started to move away from stadiums ( saw them at Manchester Arena ) and the last time I saw them ( last year) they were at Manchester Apollo - much better experience for me


              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                OMG I’m so envious of you seeing Thin Lizzy !!


                One of my favourite bands Incubus ( still successful after nearly 30 years !) have started to move away from stadiums ( saw them at Manchester Arena ) and the last time I saw them ( last year) they were at Manchester Apollo - much better experience for me


                Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Thin lizzy were a prolific touring band, ive seen them about 8-10 times during the 70s and 80s, many sight Freddie mercury as the ultimate frontman but for me it will always be Phil lynott. Funny thing about bands is they usually start small playing theatres progressing to arenas as they grow more popular and onto stadiums when they become massive, now whilst this is indeed the natural order of things as stated in my original post they alienate themselves from the fans that don't have £70 for a ticket or the inclination to travel half way across the country to attend a concert standing in a packed football ground where you are forced to watch the show on screens because you are so far from the stage.
                Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                  Tickets for Rammsteins Cardiff show have just gone on sale from £69.85 to £102.85, I definitely will not be going, I will just wait for the accompanying DVD or Blu-Ray. I will have to dig out my ticket from their 2005 show at Cardiff NIA and see how much I paid 14 years ago!?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                    Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                    Tickets for Rammsteins Cardiff show have just gone on sale from £69.85 to £102.85, I definitely will not be going, I will just wait for the accompanying DVD or Blu-Ray. I will have to dig out my ticket from their 2005 show at Cardiff NIA and see how much I paid 14 years ago!?
                    Suspect this was the Reise Reise tour, i attended this show at Manchesters arena, dont have the stub but i suspect £25 would be realistic
                    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                      Originally posted by Gothic View Post
                      Tickets for Rammsteins Cardiff show have just gone on sale from £69.85 to £102.85, I definitely will not be going, I will just wait for the accompanying DVD or Blu-Ray. I will have to dig out my ticket from their 2005 show at Cardiff NIA and see how much I paid 14 years ago!?
                      You can watch the full show on you tube, there are a few good recordings
                      Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                        Originally posted by tex View Post
                        Thin lizzy were a prolific touring band, ive seen them about 8-10 times during the 70s and 80s, many sight Freddie mercury as the ultimate frontman but for me it will always be Phil lynott. Funny thing about bands is they usually start small playing theatres progressing to arenas as they grow more popular and onto stadiums when they become massive, now whilst this is indeed the natural order of things as stated in my original post they alienate themselves from the fans that don't have £70 for a ticket or the inclination to travel half way across the country to attend a concert standing in a packed football ground where you are forced to watch the show on screens because you are so far from the stage.
                        All my Thin Lizzy mp3s are from there marvellous album Live and Dangerous.. .. supposedly LIVE but it always sounded studio perfect to me ..

                        Maybe you know more about that ??


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                          Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                          All my Thin Lizzy mp3s are from there marvellous album Live and Dangerous.. .. supposedly LIVE but it always sounded studio perfect to me ..

                          Maybe you know more about that ??


                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Yes, apparently a lot of "tinkering" took place in the mixing studio but that was fairly commonplace and probably more so nowadays. This takes nothing away from Lizzy who were one of the best live bands around and certainly amongst the hardest working and most prolific touring bands. The crushing riffs from the twin Les pauls of robertson and gorham played through a wall of Marshalls was truly brain melting stuff...great time to be a rock fan as all the best bands (with one or two exceptions) came out of this era.
                          Ejector seat?...your jokin!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Bands that chase the mighty dollar

                            Originally posted by tex View Post
                            Yes, apparently a lot of "tinkering" took place in the mixing studio but that was fairly commonplace and probably more so nowadays. This takes nothing away from Lizzy who were one of the best live bands around and certainly amongst the hardest working and most prolific touring bands. The crushing riffs from the twin Les pauls of robertson and gorham played through a wall of Marshalls was truly brain melting stuff...great time to be a rock fan as all the best bands (with one or two exceptions) came out of this era.
                            Iíll have a look for some LIVE performances ...


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X