No announcement yet.

What music did your parents listen to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What music did your parents listen to?

Mother had non-stop Elvis faintly in the background while she did housework etc

As soon as Dad got in from work he was banished to dining room where he read papers, chain smoked and played Brass band LP's .... You could stack up to six on turntable and he always did so (radiogram lol )

Comment

Hmmm....

Mum loved ABBA, Jean Michele Jarre, Fleetwood, Bee Gees, ELO, Cliff Richard in his 'Devil Woman' phase, Anne Murray, Janis Ian, Billy Joel and she always bought whatever hit complilation albums that came out in the 70s. She used to buy movie soundtracks as well and Matovani records. I used to love her Herb Albert stuff...hehe.

My dad liked big band swing and jazz music (prolly where I get my own jazz fetish from), the Beatles, Rod Stewart.

My stepdad...well when he and I my mum got together they had a HEAP of albums the same, so we had doubles of a lot of things. He liked a lot of the same stuff as mum but he also had a thing for really early electronic music like MOOG (had about 10 of their albums), Kraftwork, Emmerson Lake and Palmer, Dire Straits, Jeff Wayne.

We always had music on in our house. Either record or the radio. Was kinda nice

Comment

My parents were a bit older than the parents of my friends so their musical tastes ran towards Big Band and musical theatre, an influence that definitely rubbed off on me. In fact the funny part is that my own musical tastes predate that of my parents! I heard very little Rock in the house when I was growing up so even to this day I never really got into it. Though in the area of contemporary music my Mom liked John Denver and my Dad liked Abba.

Comment

Parants mostly listened to radio 2 when I was growing up.Can't remember much they liked untill the late 70's when dad got an interest in abba and baccara?.Mums not so much into music and dads gone all 50's soft stuff and country nowdays.Drives me mad.

Comment

My Dad Was A madness and Lionel Ritchie and hot chocolate when my mum was courting , my dad was a dj back then so i grew up with all the artists .

Best Years Of My Childhood Was Growing Up In The Late 90's and the early 2000's . before the world went Mad

Comment

i don't remember my parents listening to records ............ohhh except for the odd bout of Perry Como ...........cripes ..........they were more radio listeners.......terry wogan, jimmy young, pete murray on radio 2

Comment

perry como who is he then.hehe

munm and dasd listened to the wireless as we over here call it.

they listen masinly to country music the old stuff sixties seventies eighties.
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Mostly the radio, but mum had Barry Manilow, Julio Inglesias and Bread in her collection while dad had The Beatles, The Seekers and weirdly for my dad, several Tchaikovsky albums.
                  1976 Vintage

Comment

My parents rarely played music. It was whatever was on the radio. Wasn't always like that though as apparently my dad gave away about 300 vinyl when they moved into my childhood home (which was much bigger than the pokey flat they had previuously)

Does this place have smileys as I want to use the the little yellow head smashing himself off a wall.

Comment

My Mum liked playing old vinyl records on her Amstrad hi fi - she had Kenny Rogers, ABBA (which was brilliant!), Elvis, and other obscure Country and Western style singers who'd autographed their records for her when she bought them...bless her.

My Dad once bought an old record by 'Nully Secundus' which had an Army Brass Band of some sort dressed in those tricorn hats and red long tunics on the front - it freaked my Mum out as it sounded so terrible - it must have been at a lower RPM than her player could handle and she must have not noticed we'd turned all the sound knobs to full blast as it sounded like wailing....lol. Her impression of it made me crack up...only cost Dad 20p...lol

Dad used to have this little Ferguson portable VHF FM / MW radio that could be battery or mains powered and he'd put it on and listen to a local station called 2 TEN FM and some songs he liked came on - I remember he liked Mike and The Mechanics and his nickname was Mike so it was funny to us...They both liked QUEEN too - well, who doesn't I love them too...She also loved The Bee Gees. Basically, she introduced me to some great musicians - Queen, Elvis, The Bee Gees and I'm glad for it as I do love their old songs too.

Mum also liked Julio Inglesias as well but she didn't buy his records (thank god!)...
                      Last edited by sf1378; 07-08-2012, 16:02.

Comment

Oh, and also my Mum liked.....Max Bygraves , thankfully she didn't have his records or tapes! She also liked Dean Martin too. What made me laugh was her theory that Cliff Richard, Tom Jones etc, whom she didn't like were pale imitations of Elvis - well, he was legendary...She did admit correctly that Tom Jones had a great voice when he was younger and she was right, I actually like many of his older songs from the 1960s, I cannot stand Cliff, I actually wish he'd come out of the closet as its such a well known secret really...

Comment

My dad was never a big music fan, he had some albums with soundtracks from Westerns like 'The Big Country' etc, but he had quite a collction of 'steam train' albums. My mum liked listening to Ray Coniff (sp).

Comment

i was lucky compared to most of the kids i knew at school whilst their old folk fed them on a diet of classical,country or banal radio pop of the time (abba,brotherhood of man etc) my old man played black sabbath.led zep ,alex harvey band and cream when he was at home

Comment

i think my mum liked burl ives.
                              we had an old record player which sat near the living room window.

it wasalways in use.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by sf1378 View Post
                                Oh, and also my Mum liked.....Max Bygraves , thankfully she didn't have his records or tapes! She also liked Dean Martin too. What made me laugh was her theory that Cliff Richard, Tom Jones etc, whom she didn't like were pale imitations of Elvis - well, he was legendary...She did admit correctly that Tom Jones had a great voice when he was younger and she was right, I actually like many of his older songs from the 1960s, I cannot stand Cliff, I actually wish he'd come out of the closet as its such a well known secret really...
                                I always liked Tom Jones. This is my favorite clip of him with Eric & Ern.

Comment

Working...
                                X