Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Escape from Colditz

Originally posted by PunkRocked View Post
    Realise this is an old thread now, but just had to share...

I'd searched myself and found an updated version (from late-70's I believe) which just wasn't the same - inferior-looking cards, plastic pieces etc
    The Parker version was the original, and has won awards for having the worst, most confusing, set of rules ever published.
    This was much tidied up in the later Gibsons version, but the version of that I saw did have wooden pieces and generally good quality finish.
    Maybe they did a late "economised" run.

This happened with some games: there are versions of "The Battle of the Little Big Horn" with proper and cheap boards...
    I agree cheap pieces and cards etc. can ruin a good game.

I reckon the early-to mid eighties was the peak time for boardgames: the first of the revolutionary German crop coming to the UK, but not so much masses of computer game/TV or toy tie in/trivia games flooding the market.
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

Originally posted by Emettman View Post
      The Parker version was the original, and has won awards for having the worst, most confusing, set of rules ever published.
      This was much tidied up in the later Gibsons version....

at Doncaster Toy Fair last weekend I saw an Escape from Colditz game I've never seen before...a Palitoy version, similar artwork, but a much smaller box, prob half size of the original
      sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

The only way I managed to escape was getting to the Staff Car and driving out. Impossible otherwise
        I go back to the original Jethro Tull - Yes! The seed drill inventor!

Comment

myself & 3 of my cousins (they're all brothers) keep threatening to have a night purely playing EFC..in fact I saw one of them only yesterday & he reminded me to get the game out ready. Once I know what shifts they're off from work, we'll get it on..can't wait
          sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

Originally posted by rossobantam View Post
            myself & 3 of my cousins (they're all brothers) keep threatening to have a night purely playing EFC..in fact I saw one of them only yesterday & he reminded me to get the game out ready. Once I know what shifts they're off from work, we'll get it on..can't wait
            Threaten them back: the longer they leave it, the more you're likely to turn it into an all-weekend session of that even bigger monster: "Diplomacy".
            "It's never too late to have a happy childhood."

Comment

true EM!

The 4 of us played together all the time through the 70s/early 80....EFC was our fav by a mile
              (they had 2 games I never possessed..Chutes Away, & Treasure of the Pharaohs..blimey thats sooo expensive to get hold of now)
              sigpic

Splitters!

Visit us here:

Comment

75th Anniversary edition being released in October:

https://ospreypublishing.com/escape-from-colditz

Comment

I had this game as a boy. I remember those wooden pieces, like pawns in chess, black for Germins and Orange for the Dutch and presumably Red for the British. Where there French amd Americans in this game I can't remember now.

But what I DO remember is that, despite the fact I had no-one to play board games with, the odd occasion (usually Christmas Day) when the game used to come out no-one wanted to be the Germins, because their role was so boring. It certainly wasn't a quick game by any means !

Comment

I think I was about 10 or 11 when Escape from Colditz was bought for me as a Christmas present. I enjoyed playing it but I seem to remember it was a bit complicated, or it seemed so to my pre-teen self.

Comment

I've always wanted "Escape from Colditz" but never had it.

Comment

I remember that no one seemed to know how to play this properly so me and my mates made up or own game. If you were Nazis you would have to catch the others by using the dice and moving the thrown number of spaces on the board and if you were Allies you would have to collect all the equipment before making your escape whilst dodging the Nazis. Seemed to go on for ages.

Comment

Nobody would ever play it with me. I asked my family recently why no one would play and apparently it was because no one wanted to be the Nazis!

Comment

Escape From Colditz was one of my favourite board games as a kid. I got it as a present at Christmas 1973, and could not stop playing it. Quite a tricky game to win, though.

I believe it has been re-released in a new form and a slightly different game board.
                            Wirral Writer
                            www.alantoner.com

Comment

Cool.......
                              Attached Files
                              Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

Working...
                              X