Old Games making TV appearances

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Games making TV appearances

I thought this might be a fun topic - to start us off, here's the arcade game Defender as shown on CHiPS. This is the 2 scenes the game appears in put together:

Re: Old Games making TV appearances

Awesome!

Comment

Excitable crowd eh?

Not a TV program, but here's DARYL playing Pole Position:

Comment

TV quiz show First Class had sulky-looking youngsters playing skateboard game 720 Degrees and Hypersports:

I recall a mate of mine claiming that on one episode, at the end of a particularly unsuccessful attempt by one of the contestants at Hypersports, an audience member can be heard to shout 'you dickhead!!!' - I suspect this may be an urban myth.....

Comment

Quite a few 1980s films have arcade scenes.

The Last Star Fighter, Diva, & War Games come to mind.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by catflap View Post
            TV quiz show First Class had sulky-looking youngsters playing skateboard game 720 Degrees and Hypersports:

I recall a mate of mine claiming that on one episode, at the end of a particularly unsuccessful attempt by one of the contestants at Hypersports, an audience member can be heard to shout 'you dickhead!!!' - I suspect this may be an urban myth.....
            in the later series of First Class, the skateboard game was replaced by that arcade classic Paperboy !!!

Comment

Here's another reminder of how bad 80s TV could get - Breakout on 3-2-1:

Comment

Anyone know what system these games are being played on? The NES had a home version of 720 Degrees but that looks way too good to be the NES game.

Comment

For years the sound effects of the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man used to be used as generic computer game sounds, often with something else being played.

Comment

Ah yes i love this scene.

How good is daryl at that game.

The crowd 2 people
                    are amazed by his skills.

excitable crowd eh?

Not a tv program, but here's daryl playing pole position:

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

As you might expect Wargames has a few real arcade games in it, as does The Last Starfighter.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                        For years the sound effects of the Atari 2600 version of Pac Man used to be used as generic computer game sounds, often with something else being played.

LOL yeah, you'd see someone playing something like a Mega Drive and coming from the telly you'd hear the Pac Man death sound from the Atari 2600 version of the game. In the Superman with Richard Pryor the computer screen that shows Superman being attacked with missiles you have more Pac Man sounds.

I've never understood why Pac Man on the 2600 is so severely derided. I loved that game and still have it for my 2600. Junior Pac Man did blow it away though. Once I got Jr Pac Man I don't think I ever went back to the original.

Comment

Originally posted by trip2themoon View Post
                          LOL yeah, you'd see someone playing something like a Mega Drive and coming from the telly you'd hear the Pac Man death sound from the Atari 2600 version of the game. In the Superman with Richard Pryor the computer screen that shows Superman being attacked with missiles you have more Pac Man sounds.

I've never understood why Pac Man on the 2600 is so severely derided. I loved that game and still have it for my 2600. Junior Pac Man did blow it away though. Once I got Jr Pac Man I don't think I ever went back to the original.
                          I did read Pac Man had to be reworked so it would work on a 2600, changing a lot from the Arcade version.

Atari specially made the computer graphics for Superman 3, so it's not surprising they reused some sound effects.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                            I did read Pac Man had to be reworked so it would work on a 2600, changing a lot from the Arcade version.

Atari specially made the computer graphics for Superman 3, so it's not surprising they reused some sound effects.
                            I remember I really wanted to play that sequence when I saw it at the cinema.

Comment

I remember I really wanted to play that sequence when I saw it at the cinema.

^

I wonder which Atari system that is? It looks too good to be the 7800 but the 7800 did get the same sound chip as the 2600.

Comment

Working...
                              X