Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any open world games with traversal similar to Sunset Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any open world games with traversal similar to Sunset Overdrive?

I’ve been loving the heck out of this game (new to PC and Xbox), but they fixed a major problem of open world games and made fetch quests an absolute blast. It’s unlike any other experience I’ve had in an open world game. Is there anything else comparable to it?Tweakbox
    Last edited by markhamil94; 25-02-2021, 18:16.

Welcome to DYR Mark....Forgive me but i don't understand gaming talk, just wanted to say hi, there are several game savvy members on here however that can probably help with your question
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

There are so many open world games across multiple sub-genres, it’s hard to know where to begin especially given how unique SO was. But sticking with something vaguely similar to Sunset for gameplay and available on Xbox I’d recommend you look into any of the below series:

Saints Row - IV in particular as story can be ignored and can be jumped in at any point.
      Just Cause - 3, although many may disagree due to bugs and performance at launch. Again, no worthwhile story.
      Assassins Creed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla - in that order, series became true open-world and much more enjoyable.
      Grand Theft Auto - not much to say because you almost definitely already know. V has probably the most enjoyable campaign overall.
      Red Dead Redemption 2 - as above.

Not played personally, but generally favourably reviewed:

Mad Max
      Watchdogs Legion
      Mafia 3 and Remaster
      Yakuza (currently available on Game Pass if you have that)

If you’re up for first person open-world games then I can’t speak highly enough of the following:

Skyrim (also on Game Pass)
      Far Cry - 3, Blood Dragon, 5 and New Dawn
      Fallout - 3, New Vegas and 4 (NV & 4 on Game Pass)
      The Outer Worlds

and everyone but me go crazy over The Witcher 3, so also worth a look.

If you have access to other platforms then Spider-Man on PS4 is excellent, and made by the same developer as Sunset Overdrive - probably the most similar experience you could have.
      Also on PS4 is Horizon Zero Dawn, another open-world belter. And if you have a Nintendo Switch, Zelda: Breath of The Wild is not just the best open-world game but arguably the best in whole Zelda franchise and best overall game on Switch.

Hope that helps.

Snez

Comment

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/co...al_similar_to/
        Two back to back threads with new posters literally copy/pasting Reddit questions. Is someone just trying to fluff the place up a bit with BS posts?

Comment

Originally posted by SNES64 View Post
          There are so many open world games across multiple sub-genres, it’s hard to know where to begin especially given how unique SO was. But sticking with something vaguely similar to Sunset for gameplay and available on Xbox I’d recommend you look into any of the below series:

Saints Row - IV in particular as story can be ignored and can be jumped in at any point.
          Just Cause - 3, although many may disagree due to bugs and performance at launch. Again, no worthwhile story.
          Assassins Creed Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla - in that order, series became true open-world and much more enjoyable.
          Grand Theft Auto - not much to say because you almost definitely already know. V has probably the most enjoyable campaign overall.
          Red Dead Redemption 2 - as above.

Not played personally, but generally favourably reviewed:

Mad Max
          Watchdogs Legion
          Mafia 3 and Remaster
          Yakuza (currently available on Game Pass if you have that)

If you’re up for first person open-world games then I can’t speak highly enough of the following:

Skyrim (also on Game Pass)
          Far Cry - 3, Blood Dragon, 5 and New Dawn
          Fallout - 3, New Vegas and 4 (NV & 4 on Game Pass)
          The Outer Worlds

and everyone but me go crazy over WoW, so also worth a look. If you are tired of improving your char levelling I advise to fix the issue here. If you have access to other platforms then Spider-Man on PS4 is excellent, and made by the same developer as Sunset Overdrive - probably the most similar experience you could have.
          Also on PS4 is Horizon Zero Dawn, another open-world belter. And if you have a Nintendo Switch, Zelda: Breath of The Wild is not just the best open-world game but arguably the best in whole Zelda franchise and best overall game on Switch.

Hope that helps.

Snez
          Wow, thank you for such an extended answer noted a couple of interesting titles for me in your post! *thumbs up*

Comment

I've played several of the games quoted and indeed Skyrim 5 special edition is my current time-stealer (I'm around 60 hours in).
            RDD2 is probably the most graphically gorgeous of the lot - there were times I just climbed a hill to view the landscape and watch the world go by. But I did find many of the quests a bit of a grind and it became a vexation long before the end and I just wanted it to finish. Of the medieval/fantasy ones, both Skyrim and Witcher 3 are magnificent, but I believe the Witcher has the slightly larger open world, with much more variation in scenery than Skyrim and, overall, I found it more fun. Another huge medieval (but without the fantasy elements) RPG worth considering is Kingdom Come Deliverance. Massive world, with great realism, but the combat and bartering can be quite fiddly and your character is slow to progress. My all time favourite for the sheer exhilaration of the gameplay though, has to be Mad Max. Whilst the world is a fair bit smaller, it captures the spirit of the movies brilliantly and the various racing, exploration and combat elements are perfectly balanced.

Comment

On the subject of Skyrim, anyone who's ever played it should have a look at these hilarious "Skyrim in real life" YouTube videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFxS1gitGFU

Comment

At the moment, I enjoy playing games like Dota and League of Legends

Comment

I appreciate how games allow me to forget about my issues or worry temporarily. Of course, there are instances when the League of Legends launcher fails. This used to happen rather frequently, and I had no idea what to do, so I looked for answers online and came across this article: https://www.softwaretesttips.com/lea...s-wont-launch/. After reading, it aided me in resolving the launcher issue. I was able to continue quietly playing League of Legends, so my advice is to play LoL.

Comment

I gave Assassin's Creed Origins a go when it became a free download on Xbox Game Pass.
                    I'm 60 hours in now and it's pretty damn good!
                    You can parkour down pyramids and ancient Egyptian temples, whilst inflicting carnage on enemy soldiers and the local wildlife.
                    Absolutely cracking game!

Comment

Working...
                    X