Your top 10 Arcade games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your top 10 Arcade games

A few of the guys have already mentioned my favourite arcade game - by a distance it had to be Glaxian. I think I was actually addicted to it

We recently bought a wee console ( its really just a handset that plugs into yer telly ) and it has a superb version of the game and another of my old favourites too - Pacman.... plus 7 or 8 other classic games and it only cost me a tenner , would you believe?

I spent more than that in one night at the arcade ............. but it was worth every penny at the time

Comment

Ghosts 'n' Goblins for me. Stumbled upon this during a family holiday to Littlehampton in the summer of 86. It was a rainy day, and I was allowed to explore the beach-side arcade for an hour, and was given a pound worth of 10p pieces. Which would probably have lasted about 5 minutes, but my parents never quite understood the whole gaming thing.

I blew my entire pound on that tough, unforgiving and frustrating game in about 10 minutes; marvelling at the graphics and the harpsicord music. I purchased the Speccy version when it was released and, whilst the humble machine did what it could, it felt like a limited conversion.

Then, a couple of years later, I discovered Ghouls 'n' Ghosts, and seeing the Amiga version, along with Shadow of the Beast, had me saving my paper round money like a demon.

Honourable mentions to:
      R-type
      Bubble Bobble
      Chase HQ ('Hold on, man!')
      Elite
      Manic Miner
      Head Over Heels
      Uridium
      The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
      Marcel Proust

Comment

I loved Ghost And Goblins, especially for the music!
        I was quite addicted to Uridium, Galaxibirds and International Karate too.
        Any game with Rob Hubbard music was good. I loved that man's tunes!
        sigpic
        'Dreams come true if you want them to'

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post

As a Spectrum owner, I have to take exception to Rob Hubbard and his SID chip magic. I had to endure the Spectrum beeping like a wet fart at me, and was always jealous of the C64 sound. I never admitted it at the time, however. Still, the C64 had blocky graphics. And C64 owners had fleas. SCIENTIFIC FACT! (maybe)

International Karate was good. IK+ was better, Kick men in the nuts, and then enter a bonus round where you deflect bouncing heads. Then kick men in the nuts again.

Much as I love my PS3 and PC, I find that I still play a lot of old games via emulation (Speccy, Amiga, MAME, etc), and a lot of old-skool modern games, like point and click adventures...
          The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes.
          Marcel Proust

Comment

I'm gonna make a third video that shows all my favourite shoot em up too.
            Perhaps a fourth video featuring everything else.
            sigpic

Comment

in 1982 i worked in an amusement arcade......my fav games at the time were 'centipede' and 'the flies'...........best thing about working in an arcade was the free games you could notch up

Comment

Red Baron

Comment

Originally posted by kazboot View Post
                  I loved Ghost And Goblins, especially for the music!
                  I was quite addicted to Uridium, Galaxibirds and International Karate too.
                  It's quite possible that you are one of my favourite women ever now with that statement.

A top ten list would be quite hard to compile, so I'll just list a few that I enjoyed. Paperboy. Pacman. Galaxian. Chase HQ. Thunderblade. Outrun. I was always a big fan of Pinball tables too, but along with videogames, they died out for fruit machines in the arcades. Shame really as I have no interest in watching fruits spin with the chance to win money back. They bore the hell out of me.

I'm really sad arcades died out and became these gambling grottos. They won't get a penny out of me with machines like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly View Post
                    It's quite possible that you are one of my favourite women ever now with that statement.

A top ten list would be quite hard to compile, so I'll just list a few that I enjoyed. Paperboy. Pacman. Galaxian. Chase HQ. Thunderblade. Outrun. I was always a big fan of Pinball tables too, but along with videogames, they died out for fruit machines in the arcades. Shame really as I have no interest in watching fruits spin with the chance to win money back. They bore the hell out of me.

I'm really sad arcades died out and became these gambling grottos. They won't get a penny out of me with machines like that.

in my local snooker club we still have arcade machines.

a few yrs back we had mario 3 and viewpoint.
                    another game we have in wonderboy in monster land.
                    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

When I was a kid I used to love the Penny Arcade in Disneyland's Main Street USA area. It had all kinds of vintage mechanical arcade games from the '50s and '60s and older. On a recent visit I was surprised to find the arcade gone and a candy shop in its place.

Comment

Loved the pics of the old 1950's / 60's arcade machines, quality

On the arcade front my top ten

Defender
                        Star Wars (sit down cabinet)
                        Wardener
                        Zippy Race (also called Traverse USA), could spend hours with 1 10p coin
                        Mr Do
                        Donkey Kong
                        Pac Land
                        Monaco GT (think its called that, top down racer used to have a steering wheel with it)
                        Pleids
                        Vanguard

All 80's classix

Comment

So many...

Whittled down to faves..

Defender
                          Battlezone
                          Major Havoc
                          Robotron
                          Galaxian
                          Mappy
                          Popeye
                          Sinistar
                          Frogger
                          Phoenix

loads more...

Comment

Galaga -- With enough quarters I could have played it for hours!

Comment

My favourite arcade game was Cosmic Avenger

A deinite classic !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWq61DqXaew
                              Last edited by Mr Claypole; 08-12-2011, 19:14.

Comment

Gauntlet 2 - literally had ALL of my pocket money.
                                I also used to love Italia 90 as well, where there were just 8 teams each with different strengths.
                                As I got a bit older - there was only one game to play - Street Figher 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X