My parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My parents

As a child many see their parents as 'just there', as if they only have the title 'Mum and Dad'.
    Also we get used to seeing them do it all, so it rarely dawns on a child to offer help.

It's only as we grow up and mature do we dawn that Mum and Dad are people in their own right, have a life too.
    Also what I found was lovely is getting to know them as people, hearing what they did at school, through work etc, that opened my mind to wanting to know a lot more, and with all that I changed how I saw my parents.

I am so grateful that I still have my parents, as the relationship now we have, as we all are adults, is amazing.
    But to hear many saying they have lost their parents before they actually got to really know them, is so very sad.

I would walk the earth to help them, because I know they sacrificed so much for me when I was growing up, they did without, but they won't do without any more, that's for sure.

Comment

Parents are the most important thing in your life......the important thing is to be able to understand this before it's too late.

I had a rather more varied and unusual upbringing from most people of my age, but not in a bad way i hasten to add, and I was very fortunate to experience and see things that many children wouldn't have done, and that was all down to my parents who wanted to give my sisters and myself as good an upbringing as they could.
      Unfortunately when we came back to England my mum was killed in a road accident which sent my dad over the edge so to speak.

I was 20 at the time and I had an older sister who'd already married and had left home, but a younger sister and myself still remained at home.
      It hit my dad hard and he basically rejected us............he obviously regrets much what happened at the time but it still happened.

Nevertheless, i wish that i'd shown them as much love as they showed me when I were younger, when I was still able to.

Comment

I'm fortunate that both my parents are still around and are both quite active... mum still works and still helps me out if I do overtime for example (my youngest is ten) but I know if ever they need me then I'm there for them both. It's a two way street.
        I work as a home carer for the elderly and I'd say 2/3 of the people I visit have good contact with their children. Unfortunately 1/3 don't and I find that heartbreaking.

Comment

Originally posted by MommaMystique View Post
          My nan brought me up after raising four of her own children, three of which she was left with when Grandad died of a lung condition contracted during the WWII when he was gassed. I tried hard to provide NAn with little luxuries every week once I started working..... half pound of real butter or a jar of Nescafe instead of Camp coffee... the things she loved but just could not afford. once she got wise to this and forbade me from doing it again.... she was a proud woman.... I resorted to making her hampers for her birthday, xmas and Easter. She couldnt get round this. This year on the 26th of November it will be twenty years exactly since i lost her and I would give my entire years wgaes and more to be able to have one more day with her. Your parents/ Grand-parents deserve your respect and support.
          This is a lovely post, really moving.

Comment

i try help my mum and dad as much as i can i treat them to weekends away cause they want go book it them selfs and going out for meals etc i carnt give them money for bills mine take some clearing but they always there to help out so i treat them again lol
            THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE TRUST NO ONE

Comment

Working...
            X