Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milkmen/women

@Arran

When I used to deliver milk as a weekend job, the milk which was delivered in bottles with foil tops were the standard, semi-skimmed, skimmed and full fat varieties. These weren't homogenised, as homogenised milk came in a taller, slimmer bottle which had a bottle opener cap (same with the sterilised milk). They all came in glass bottles, no plastic involved anywhere.

And yes, I was delivering semi-skimmed milk back then - and this would have been in the mid 1980s. The provider was a large privately owned firm (not Co-op or Unigate) which owned a number of dairies, both large and small, across a wide area.

Comment

The only time I used to regularly drink silver top milk was at nursery and primary school. At home I had plastic bottles. There used to be several shops that sold 2 and 4 pint plastic bottles locally so not many kids at my school had milk delivered by the milkman at home although I vaguely remember a milk float doing its rounds early in the morning. I never managed to find out the name of the dairy that supplied milk to my school but it was delivered in a van rather than a milk float. It might have been an LEA supplier that bought a tanker load of milk then bottled it for schools. My cousin who lived in a different part of town originally had silver top milk from the milkman at home but around 2000 it was changed to semi-skimmed with red and silver stripe tops. Red top homogenised was around at the time and I got a bit confused between the two.

Comment

Green Top was unpasteurised which was withdrawn in the late 1990s.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I remember our milkman had one tray at the back with fresh orange juice (with bits in the bottom )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

These days now I have the milk in plastic bottles from the supermarket, I now associate the colour green with semi-skimmed, rather than red and silver stripes.
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

We only ever had silver-top milk, which had delicious cream at the top mmmmmm....
              Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas - go figure!

Comment

HARD TO BEAT THE CREAM TASTE IN A BOTTLE OF MILK.

YOU JUST DONT GET THAT IN THE PLASTIC CONTAINERS.
                WHY IS THAT?

FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Not long ago I spotted a milk bottle with a little amount of orange "drink" in the bottom, which was the first time in years I had seen any.

My parents never bought any, probably because it was full of sugar & E numbers.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I vaguely remember orange juice in milk bottles on the local milk float.

No milk was in the bottle at the time, you understand.
                    I'm having so much fun
                    My lucky number's one
                    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Some local shops have a few bottles of silver top milk nestling alongside many plastic bottles of milk in the chilled cabinet. Always silver top and never homogenised or semi-skimmed. The price per pint is higher than milk in a plastic bottle although less than what some milkmen charge. I have been buying it to help maintain consumer demand for it.

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                        No milk was in the bottle at the time, you understand.
                        Ghostly milk? lol
                        sigpic
                        Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

Originally posted by Twocky61 View Post
                          Ghostly milk? lol
                          I meant that it wasn't a milk and orange juice cocktail in a bottle.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I know George lol
                            Last edited by Twocky61; 04-11-2017, 13:29. Reason: Word Context Change
                            sigpic
                            Do you really believe the other side without provocation would launch so many ICBM's, subs and ships knowing that we would have no option to launch as well? It would break our MAD Treaty (Mutually Assured Destruction) not to mention the end of the world as we know it.

Comment

A local sandwich shop / takeaway was selling orange juice in pint milk bottles about a year ago.

Comment

My Brother in Law had a local pub he delivered twelve pint bottles daily

That should have been from the wholesale division really
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X