Views:	495
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	282049
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DirtCross-3.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	282050

A hybrid of a BMX and a mountain bike, with 20 inch wheels and 5 speed Shimano gears, that was sold during the late 1990s. The bike appears to be fitted with suspension forks but they were imitation, and purely a cosmetic feature, despite Raleigh manufacturing kids bikes with functional suspension forks at the time. The frame size was smaller than that of a BMX and designed to accommodate a 6 to 10 year old.

The Dirt Cross was subjected to a prominent marketing campaign by Raleigh, and it was the first kids bike (in Britain) to be advertised using a multimedia application with video clips on interactive public information kiosks located in shopping centres. It was also advertised on TV with a commercial featuring the Nottingham Forest striker Stuart Pearce.

https://youtu.be/VnzjuqcFkt0

Despite all the marketing hype by Raleigh, the bike did not appear to be very popular with kids so sales were quite poor. The reason was that there was no clear market for the Dirt Cross. It was neither a BMX nor a mountain bike, so it was not as good as either of these bikes in the situations that they are optimised for. Raleigh appeared to have come up with a solution without a problem, with little consideration of how kids are actually supposed to use the bike and whether sufficient consumer demand for such a bike exists or not.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied
    Re: Iconic kids bikes from the 1990s

Townsend Mean Green Machine Formula from the Littlewoods Autumn Winter 1990 / 1991 catalogue. It looks remarkably similar to the Team Playway Mega Force One.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

I discovered more information about the Sonic bike in #8 from the Brian Mills Autumn Winter 1994 / 1995 catalogue. It was made by Diamondback and had 5 speed SIS gears. The description reads "Futuristic design with tough ABS technology used on the cladding to frames and forks", and the price was £155.48.

The helmet and Sonic Cyber glove must be super rare items.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Team Playway Mega Force One

Is this a rare bike because I have never seen one in the metal? It was on sale in 1990.

Team Playway was the bike division of Lew Ways - a climbing frame manufacturer based in Cannock - which made the Stinger Aero BMX in the 1980s.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

I remember some 1980s racers had disc wheels like that, mostly for velodrome racing as they weren't good in side winds.

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

THE GIRLS VERSION MISSION RALEIGH EXTREME BIKE.

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    Raleigh Extreme. A Raleigh Mustang with fluorescent paint and plastic wheel covers. It was the cool kids bike of the early 1990s but the plastic wheel covers caused the bike to handle dangerously in strong wind. They were also available in fluorescent purple and I vaguely remember that there was a girls version.

Last edited by darren; 20-07-2017, 14:19.

Leave a comment:

• hdz2029@gmail.com
    replied

I always wanted that white and red bicycle . They also come in black and red . I kbow someone who got a black one and only paid £50 and its clean

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Raleigh Extreme. A Raleigh Mustang with fluorescent paint and plastic wheel covers. It was the cool kids bike of the early 1990s but the plastic wheel covers caused the bike to handle dangerously in strong wind. They were also available in fluorescent purple and I vaguely remember that there was a girls version.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Apollo Space Attack.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Raleigh Max with 16 inch wheels. Note the unusual frame design. There was a girls version in pink with an inverted frame.

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

Leave a comment:

• darren
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Raleigh Max with 20 inch wheels. The first Raleigh kids bike with a twist-grip gear shifter.

The Raleigh Max was a massive range of kids and adult bikes manufactured from the late 1990s to the early 2000s characterised by frames made out of oversized tubing.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

I remember my early Raleigh Marauder had only 5 gears, & even in 1st was hard to ride up hills.

It was originally my Brother's but handed down when he got a Raleigh Amazon.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Emmelle. That brings back memories. Cheap and crummy bikes with no street cred that would disintegrate under force if ridden off road. I have a feeling that they were a catalogue brand or sold in department stores. There was an even worse brand sold in Toys R Us but I've forgotten what they were called.

The number of gears on your bike was a status symbol for kids back in the 1990s until the revival of BMX towards the end of the decade. I can remember kids at school triumphantly boasting about how they have now moved up to a bike with (5) gears which was then repeated when they moved up to a bike with (15 / 18) gears and two shifters.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X