X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zincubus
    replied
    Fashionable names of people mostly in the 1970s and 1980s

Oh and it’s also one of my fave Bee Gee songs !!
    https://youtu.be/G4qrEOCNr3g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• Zincubus
    replied
    Re: Fashionable names of people mostly in the 1970s and 1980s

So getting back to Fanny ..

Suzi Quattro’s sister played bass in the female rock group Fanny !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leave a comment:

• victorbrunswick
    replied

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Fanny comes from Frances, though that's not a common name these days either.
    It seems that Fanny was also a fairly common name among Jewish women. Sadly I know this from my reading about the Holocaust. The name crops up quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

I was just remembering a character in Crossroads in the '80s.

If I remember rightly, her name was Beverley, but she decided she wanted to be known as Chloe. Anyway, I don't know if that's connected with the popularity of the name Chloe in recent decades. Are there many Beverleys nowadays?

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I saw a great article in the Guardian online about various names from 20 years ago in which the use of them for youngsters had fallen dramatically since around 1996.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    The answer to that is yes. Asian names change over the decades.
    I wouldn't have known that myself of course.

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
    More to the point, do Asian names become old-fashioned over the decades? - as a white person, I wouldn't know much about it. Do elderly Asian people have names that would sound old-fashioned by younger Asians?
    The answer to that is yes. Asian names change over the decades.

Leave a comment:

• Clare
    replied

Originally posted by Arran View Post
    What names were associated with black people in the 1970s and 1980s?
    There was a Rastafarian character in Grange Hill, called Glenroy Glenroy!

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
    Thanks I hadn't been keeping count!
    Well, it does mention it where it says "Posts".

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I would assume that a lot of them had the same or similar names to white people - this can help them when it comes to getting on in life.

More to the point, do Asian names become old-fashioned over the decades? - as a white person, I wouldn't know much about it. Do elderly Asian people have names that would sound old-fashioned by younger Asians?

Leave a comment:

• Arran
    replied

What names were associated with black people in the 1970s and 1980s?

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

BTW - Congratulations on your 5,000th post, Richard!
    Thanks I hadn't been keeping count!

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

I was half expecting the swear filter to kick in when I wrote "Fanny" for some reason! I blame Julian Clary for its campness, although I assume that it had always been camp prior to his act.

In the school playground, a lot of the kids thought that I had a really old-fashioned name, and the graph on the first page proves it. I suppose things go full circle because of the "little old man" concept that new born baby boys have - my nephew was one of them.

BTW - Congratulations on your 5,000th post, Richard!

Leave a comment:

• Richard1978
    replied

As I said before, it's interesting that female names date more than male names do - watching the first series of A House Through Time, the male Faulkner Street occupants in the 19th century had the first names of Richard, James, Wilfred, John, Alfred, and William - none of them are bizarre names, and only Wilfred and Alfred feels "elderly" to me. I had in my mind that Wilfred and Alfred was at least middle-aged, but they were quite young of course.

We don't really hear the name Eliza as being short for Elizabeth these days unlike back then - it's more likely to be Liz or even Lisa. And who on earth would be called Fanny these days? (as in Snewing of the same street) - it does sound camp, and feels so much like a late 19th century music hall-alike name - I don't think that even someone in the early 20th century (Cradock excepted) would have been called like that.
    There seems to be a lot of younger Alfie's around, so Alfred hasn't totally vanished. Even 20 years ago if was hard to find anyone under 50 called George.

Eliza sounds like the sort of girls name that might come back into fashion.

Fanny comes from Frances, though that's not a common name these days either.

Leave a comment:

• George 1978
    replied

As I said before, it's interesting that female names date more than male names do - watching the first series of A House Through Time, the male Faulkner Street occupants in the 19th century had the first names of Richard, James, Wilfred, John, Alfred, and William - none of them are bizarre names, and only Wilfred and Alfred feels "elderly" to me. I had in my mind that Wilfred and Alfred was at least middle-aged, but they were quite young of course.

We don't really hear the name Eliza as being short for Elizabeth these days unlike back then - it's more likely to be Liz or even Lisa. And who on earth would be called Fanny these days? (as in Snewing of the same street) - it does sound camp, and feels so much like a late 19th century music hall-alike name - I don't think that even someone in the early 20th century (Cradock excepted) would have been called like that.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X