• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bicycle siren!

Kid round the corner from me had one of these.. bloody annoying

Comment

Re: Bike Siren

Me & my brother both had those yellow & black sirens.

The wire on mine snapped after a time & my Dad couldn't fix it, so the Xmas after I got a high spec model with a microphone as well as the sounds. It didn't amplify my voice much, & got through batteries quickly, so most of the time it was just for display.

Granville had something similar on his shop bike in the later episodes of Open All Hours.

My cousin had one of those motorbike rev-twist grips. Sounded great but tricky to keep the sound up while riding along.
      The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I did have one of those siren boxes on my bike but mine had a type of screen on it with a hologram image of a wolf/dog face on it, it would change size and appear to move on the screen. I agree about the sirens though, they were bloody annoying and I can recall getting really angry glances from people as I blazed down the street, sirens blaring.

I remember when the batteries started to give out and the noise resembled a sort of long, drawn-out groan. Thinking back, that bike was a sort of tribute to nostalgia in a way because by the end it was covered in kellogg's bike stickers, Monster Munch plastic monster faces on the spokes, McDonalds bike toys across the handlebar and Honey Nut Loops bike wheel cards on the wheels! I was like a mobile advertisement for those brands!

Comment

Ooh,yeah.My brother had that yellow one!

tulip

Comment

I had one of those pifco horns!

Comment

I had a yellow and black one on my Grifter,it had a wire to the push switch on the handle bars.I have a pic(recently discovered) of the bike(without horn)

Frame.
              "poor is the man who's pleasures depend on the permission of another"

Comment

Found an image of a Wonder Light - ha!

Anyone remember blue chromed Bomber cycle from Raleigh? Some kids peeled off the blue film to reveal a chrome bike underneath?!?
                Attached Files

Comment

The Superbomber was the Blue Chrome one.. great bike

Comment

I remember the bike sirens, only because the man who sold them down the paper shop set one off next to my unsuspecting ear and made me cry! It was black and yellow. I can remember that much!
                    1976 Vintage

Comment

I had a bike air horn, it was 4 red plastic horns two large and two slightly smaller, attached to some red translucent pipe, that went to a big fat yellow bulb that attached to the top tube.
                      They were loud, I do have a photo with them on a Raleigh Hercules bike I modded, I will look for the pic....
                      sigpic
                      Don't worry Cheryl....
                      I'll catch you if you slip!

Comment

Yeah I remember them, although I was just that bit too old to have one on my bike. My mates brother had a yellow one. I can remember they had a 3 position metal switch where you could pick between police, fire, ambulance.

Similar in appearance to this but without the handset thingy.
                        http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...mL._SL500_.jpg
                        Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

My mates all had those sirens but my parents wouldnt entertain getting me one.
                          However, i raided my piggy bank and bought one of those red air horns with the white gas canisters from my local halfords and my dad grudgingly rigged a bracket made of mechano to mount it on the headlamp bracket.

round our way, we used to push lolly sticks through the brake block slide mounts into the spokes as there was just enough room.

Comment

Originally posted by tonyfinster View Post
                            round our way, we used to push lolly sticks through the brake block slide mounts into the spokes as there was just enough room.
                            Yeah I've done that, or used a drinks carton (usually a Vimto or Keeko carton) and then pretend you were riding a motorbike
                            Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Working...
                            X