No announcement yet.

Things that kids don't have anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back packs seem to be huge these days, and we had those too, but we also had these sports bags made by Adidas we used for everything from school books and lunch to actual sports gear if you had something outside school to go to (like figure skating, karate, dance etc.). Truth be told we sometimes used them to boost something from the large shops, a phase I'm glad came to an end, I felt so bad about shop-lifting and not getting caught I turned myself in.

Most kids had bicycles and I'm not sure that's anywhere near as common now. I'm talking late '70s-early '80s. Never saw a Toy R Us until a big trip to California in 1979, then never saw another one until maybe a dozen years later.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Pedal cars and other (plastic) ride on toys regularly feature in photos of young children (and some even as old as 5 or 6) playing out in the street or in parks from the 1970s to the early 1980s, but they are far less common now although they are still on sale. Even back in the 1990s they were uncommon, in my locality at least, unless they were clearly a tricycle.

Tricycles were commonplace in the 1990s but also seem to have declined in popularity. Many of the tricycles I have seen whilst out and about in recent years are machines which resemble pushchairs more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
        A collection of video tapes of recorded TV programmes.
        Mostly of Top of the Pops and other music shows, as well as kids' programmes.
        I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
        There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Morning paper rounds

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
            Mostly of Top of the Pops and other music shows, as well as kids' programmes.
            Take into account that cartoons and kids programmes on analogue terrestrial TV were few and far between.

Comment

Originally posted by amethyst View Post
              Morning paper rounds
              As satirised by the paperboys and girls who work for The Kabin on Coronation Street.
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post

Take into account that cartoons and kids programmes on analogue terrestrial TV were few and far between.
                The five minute Disney, Warner Brothers or MGM (Tom and Jerry) cartoons on weekend afternoons.
                I'm having so much fun
                My lucky number's one
                Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember The Pink Panther seemed to be on Sunday afternoons for ages in the early 1980s, but often was the only cartoon on after lunchtime.
                  The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

I was thinking more along the lines of CBBC and CITV on weekday afternoons, and Saturday morning kids TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                      I remember The Pink Panther seemed to be on Sunday afternoons for ages in the early 1980s, but often was the only cartoon on after lunchtime.
                      Not to be confused with the Inspector Clueseau films of course...
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X