What have you ever collected?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you ever collected?

I'd call myself more of an accumulator mostly (not a hoarder as I will get rid sometimes). I started out early collecting little Wade china animal figurines. I used to spend hours with them doing and thinking who knows what... acting out little stories similar to something I'd read or seen probably. My brother had dinky cars and would smash them against each other but I usually wanted to keep things nice so my animals were not in bad shape (still have a few that somehow didn't disappear, my grandmother took my wee frogs to decorate her plants in pots, wah).

We had a box of comics started from my aunt and added to by my brother and just random visiting kids sometimes, most lost their covers (I admit to cutting things out for poor people style 'stickers'). Later I got into reading some stuff regularly and keeping all the issues I had in order (Doctor Who and Star Wars started me off and I went on to a lot of other comics for a few years and then grew up too much (ouch).

There was stab at stamps as a household hobby once, kind of like how we briefly had a fish tank... unlike the little fish they might still be around somewhere; had a fancy George V coronation one and I think a very common Queen Victoria one, but nothing really exciting, some exotic seeming foreign ones, they sold pack of these things. We scavenged stuff from our mail carefully lifting the soaked stamp off the paper but that got boring fairly quickly I suppose.
    Last edited by beccabear67; 13-08-2023, 21:50.
    My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

I briefly collected badges and kept them in an old biscuit tin, while my sister had collected pens (from souvenir shops when on holiday and all that), and kept them in a small suitcase.
    I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
    There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
    I'm having so much fun
    My lucky number's one
    Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

My BF collects badges in so far as his guitar strap is loaded with them!

I accumulated stuffies (stuffed animals) but couldn't say I collected them, most were given to me, including various won at a fair cheaper types. The two I bought for myself were the most loved but the favorite was found on top of a slot machine by my Mother on holiday sitting near me now as I type. I let one get ripped apart gradually by our cat until I eventually felt I had to throw it away... was thrilled to find an 'as new' (unsold old stock) exact same one on eBay, with no cats around now. It's a kangaroo joey (or wallaby as I like to call it) named Mindy II after Mindy I that is long gone (named from a tv show back when I bought the first one, nannoo nannoo). So I guess that's a collection of one (although I did take it's original paper tag off). Or maybe two; I also bought a Japanese Totoro (still have the tag on it). They aren't being preserved under plastic or anything like that though.

I saw a photo of Buster Bloodvessel (of the group Bad Manners) posing with a lot of his collectables like cigarette cards and movie stuff. I have a small amount of Sooty stuff, mostly old books including the first three annuals (a puppet with wand seemed essential but he's more the '80s Matthew era Sooty), but somewhere I lost the collecting bug for it, Same with The Clangers... I know there are books, records and things I don't have, and won't likely ever if the price is too high.
      Last edited by beccabear67; 16-08-2023, 19:03.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

Working...
      X