Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bank Account Freebies

I just found this topic via Google.

I just bought two of the Natwest globes from eBay (nostalgia y'know), and I am struggling finding spare keys for them. They look like this:

Incidentally, the "odd plastic pig" that JustKim refers to above may have been a Midland Bank red elephant? I acquired one of those without a key also, which is the same key actually.

They were all made my MK Tresmer OY in Finland.

If anyone happens to have one of those keys as pictured above, you can e-mail me through my profile.

Isn't it funny where Google brings you?

Comment

The Nat West pigs need wade on their stoppers and rare pieces like Sir Nathaniel and Cousin Wesley to make top money.

My aunt had the globe bank for all her new copper coins which she saved for us.

Did you have a "Schools bank account"?
      One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

Trustee's saving bank bird money boxes called Tizzies I think.
        They wore footie shirts. I have a picture but it won't post for some reason, the others have been working
        One mans trash is another mans treasure !

Comment

When I opened a savings account at the National and Provincial mid 1980s (I was around 13 at the time) I was given a free ballpoint pen and 6 inch ruler. Modest compared to the pigs you got with the NatWest Piggy Account, but still better than nothing.

I saw a report on TV mid 1980s comparing savings accounts at banks and building societies, especially ones aimed at kids which gave away free gifts, e.g. piggy banks with NatWest Piggy Account. They reckoned you should think more about the interest rate though, and said the Post Office gives the best interest rate, without any free goodies.
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Got my Midland Griffin Saver dictionary right beside me here in my desk!
            sigpic

Comment

Its say Who ho! And Wizard Prang!!

Comment

My brother had the Midland Griffin set, he still has the dictonary, & might have the A4 binder.

We (Me & my brother & sister) all had Britannia plastic pigs that opened with one of those MK Keys, when I last took my pig in to empty they gave me a key for it as they had stopped ginv them out. I still collect up loose change in mine I empty it out every year or so.

My cousins have still got almost the full set of Nat West pigs, they are missing the cousin pig that was a limited edition.
                The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

We had one of the Lloyds coin sorters in our house, think it was my Mum's. When I was in junior school we had a school bank where someone from Barclays came every week and you could pay money in. Two pupils from the last year got to help as cashiers. I opened an account and got the blue folder. The thing I always wanted was the yellow lion thing, was that the midland griffin or was it Natwest?

Comment

My Mum opened an account for me in about 1973 - it was with TSB - I was given a yellow circular "SMILEY" and it had a key very much the same as the one pictured earlier!

I still have it (somewhere!) Cant promise to send a photo as it must be buried in a drawer!

Comment

I worked for the Bank of Scotland in the mid-80's before they forced me to resign! I can remember around 1988 they were actually giving away a high quality back-pack to school kids opening up Super-Saver accounts. The offer didn't last very long as demand was so high the tight gits shelved the idea. Must be collector's items now as I can imagine very few survived.

Comment

I can remember getting a slimline calculator for opening a Clydesdale 'Easycash' account.
                        Oh to be a kid again with a can of Top Deck on a hot summer day, now that would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Paulos View Post
                          Got my Midland Griffin Saver dictionary right beside me here in my desk!
                          Who else had a Griffin Saver ac?

Click image for larger version

Name:	midland_griffin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	260017

Still using my Griffin Saver dictionary now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jason h View Post
                            In the early - mid 80s there was a spate of ads encouraging kids to open new bank accounts using enticements like piggy-banks and sport bags.
                            I joined Barclay's Bank some time during Middle School and I got a blue folder to keep my bank statements in. I used this at school because it had a place to fit a lined A4 text pad and lots of places to put my pens. I think Midland Bank was also popular at the time.
                            I must have joined the wrong bank

Comment

I had the Griffin Saver account. Used to use the stuff for school. I also had a Natwest pig, my sister and I only had the baby piglets. Had a Lloyds account too. The one with the close up plastic folder for my statements. Also still have the little xtra Halifax money bank house. My late Mum had one or two of those Natwest globe money banks they did with the odd y shaped key to open it to remove pennies etc from the base.

Comment

I joined the TSB and I'm sure they had something called the jeans club i.e. as in denim. Not sure why they would have called it this. I can't remember anything else so the freebies must have been poor if there were any.
                                1976 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                                X