Cassette Singles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cassette Singles

which was worse? The amount of time involved or hoping there was enough tape left?
    WELCOME TO HELL!!!

Comment

Where the hell was I when those cassette singles were available? This is the first time I've heard of them! Was this in the second part of the eighties? By that time I was well into my twenties and didn't follow music the way you do when you're in your teens.

Cassettes were the only music medium I had in those days (the late 70s/early 80s) - a mixture of pre-recorded ones and ones I recorded myself, either off the radio or off my brother's record player (he was old enough to be working so had more money than me). As I could only afford the cheapest kind of cassette player I couldn't record off the radio directly, I had to use the microphone. My brother used to say it sounded terrible, but it was good enough for me.
      The present is a foreign country. They do things differently here.

Comment

a friend of mine has tons of them.

ive got a cassette from the early nineties it has two songs on it.
        one on one side the other song on the other side.

its a mariah carey cassette from 93 i think.
        FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

I don't remember seeing many cassette singles (Cassingles) around in the shops etc. If I remember, they were quite shortlived really. They first appeared late 80s, but by the mid 90s CD singles were around. Late 1996 a new CD single had just come out, I asked if it was available a Cassingle, it wasn't so I bought the CD, even though I didn't have a CD player at the time. For your information, my first CD player was part of my Sanyo Midi System which I got autumn 1997 (and still going strong).
          I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

I think that most people these days download tracks if they don't want the whole cd as most people have either mp3/ipod/laptop/or pc or phone with mp3 player.I find it more amazing when you think of the 8 track tapes people used to own.They were massive!.What happened though with the digital explosion is that a lot of small independant record shops went under.I remember cassette singles in woolworths but i think more people were collecting the now series of compelations as they came out fairly quick and represented better value.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm sure I bought the cassette single "Lovestruck" by Madness in 1999! I got it reduced in Woolworth's....they're both defunct now....NOT Madness.....the Cassingle and Woollies I mean!

Comment

Hardly see music tapes anymore? most people have moved away.Partners had some a while back (Now raymonds).
                sigpic

Comment

i had records and tapes of the damned still got some but cant play them my tape machine is broke
                  The Damned

Comment

One of my tapes got caught up in the player, tangled and broke. So I disassembled the tape and rejoined it with a small piece of Sellotape and straightened as best as I could. Unfortunately, when the track played, the sound was muffled and crackled for about 15 secs. Even now when I hear the track on CD I cringe in anticipation of the distortion! It was from Pink Floyd The Wall.

Comment

Sound quality has improved so much with digital media that i am suprised if people still use cassette players.the cold/Damp/humidity was always a killer to tapes.But cds are not as tough as they made out when they first got released.Most people used to back up their vynal to cassette so they had a copy for their cars.
                      sigpic

Comment

I bought a few cassete singles from local charity shops, one was Erasure, one was Duran Duran. But one tape I bought (not a single, an album) still has the Woolworths receipt inside the case, it was originally bought on 31/10/87.

Comment

I always used to keep receipts inside my new cds...for some reason i wanted to prove i liked a band more by buying the cd and proving i bought the cd on the release day...

Comment

Once or twice I did that with CD's & videos.
                            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by RetroAEROSMITH View Post
                              I always used to keep receipts inside my new cds...for some reason i wanted to prove i liked a band more by buying the cd and proving i bought the cd on the release day...
                              I used to do this too and still have a couple.

Comment

I have 4 cassingles 'Hold On My Heart' by Genesis, 'Hazard' by Richard Marx, 'Regret' by New Order and 'When You Walk In The Room' by Status Quo.
                                The best Government is that which governs least - Thoreau.

Comment

Working...
                                X