Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toys That Stunk

Did you ever have a toy that stunk?

I can remember plasticine was quite smelly, as was Playdough.
    Wirral Writer
    www.alantoner.com

Re: Toys That Stunk

I loved the smell of playdough! Bit sweeter than plasticine. I had a doll that was supposed to smell of strawberry but it was awful, strawberry shortcake I think it was called.

Comment

If we are talking about toys that promised the world but delivered very little, I have one suggestion.............flight deck. 2 hours to set it all up, 30 minutes to get bored with, a week of untangling the nylon fishing line.

Comment

I remember the heady smell of some moulded plastic toys I had. Probably full of toxins. And the burning, metallic smell of my Hornby train set.
        1976 Vintage

Comment

Scalextric sets tended to have an odd smell, I guess a mixture of plastic, rubber, hot electrics & lubricating oil.

When I was young me & my brother were given a bag of oldish diecast cars & some other toys by a neighour. The must have been stored somewhere damp for a time as it took them years for the musty smell to die down. The worst being an ice cream tub of "moulded one a base" toy soldiers.

Silly Putty had an odd smell, a bit like coca cola.

One of the Masters Of The Universe figures was called Stinkor & unsurprisingly smelt bad, but I don't remember exactly.
          The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

The soft rubber expanding tyres of my Galoob 'Flex' monster truck smelt like old fish! I also remember the plastic-metallic stink my Hornby train transformer gave off after about 10 minutes use. I also remember being given a brand new 'Big' comic book which was huge and contained about 500 stories that seemed to have been lifted out of Buster and Whizzer and Chips and had an advert for stamp collecting sets on the back cover. The pages(or the ink) smelt like Feta cheese that's been left in a hot car all day. Phew!

Comment

I remember having 1 or 2 books that seemed to use some glue that smelt like a blocked drain!

Normally freshly printed magazines smelt quite nice.

At school one of the girls had some secented felt tipped pens, some were nice but one was really noxious!

Comment

I was hooked on the bubblegum smell of some plastic toys.

Comment

My action man used to stink....but that was probably because me and my mate used to fight jungle warfare in the local stream!

Comment

I had a chemistry set once....Made a good few stinks from that....Probably pretty toxic too.
                    Ahh the good old days before health and safety.

Comment

I used to have a rubber (eraser) collection with many variously scented additions.
                      I also used to be amazed at anything that was scratch & sniff.
                      I once found some Garfield lasagne scented stickers, I think they are still somewhere at my parents, but after 25 odd years I doubt that they smell of anything anymore.

Comment

i had a doll that smelt like chocolate..........mmmmmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978;

Normally freshly printed magazines smelt quite nice.
                          mmm! Fresh print can smell lovely. As a tot I was a fan of the Mothercare catalogue. Parents said an easy life was had by shoving the latest catalogue pages under my hooter. The smell seemed particular to that catalogue.
                          1976 Vintage

Comment

New Argos catalogues can smell quite nice.

Comment

im sure plasticine play doh smelt i know i sniffed it.
                              FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                              X