Talking toy Monkey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Talking toy Monkey

I feel after all the build up there should be a drum roll....
    http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...rent=Movie.mp4

Everyone...meet the blooming monkey!!
    sigpic

Comment

Bit rough with him isn't she?
      He's a valuable antique

NICE monitor!

Comment

Aww no she wasn't really, the videos a bit jerky, and she was the only one brave enough to go on camera, they are both my stars!!!

View Jack here http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...rent=Movie.mp4
        Last edited by Heather74; 22-08-2007, 19:36.
        Heather

Comment

He does seem to have a preference for saying "have a banana"

Comment

Cool bananas!
            "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

OMG, I been thinking about my old Monkey for ages and finally remembered to google about the only thing I can remember about him which is (as anyone who owned one could probably guess) "have a banana, munch munch"

I'd love to find out more about him, I think mine had 5 phrases but can't quite remember since he actually stopped talking not that long after I got him. He didn't have a pull string either, like the little girl in the video i spent ages throwing him up and down all to get him to say Have a banana.... probably why I can't remember a single one of the other phrases... lol.

Damn, I want my old Monkey back... wish I could remember more about him.

Comment

Hello Ogami, Welcome to DYR
                We Did a lot of research into the "Chatter Chimp" he was made by two different companies Burbank and Pedigree, he said the following phrases,
                Have a Banana, Munch Munch(more sang than said)
                let's go to the circus.
                Swing me again please
                I'm a monkey nut
                Let's be Friends
                Call me chatter chimp( I spent my whole childhood convinced it was Jack the Chimp)
                Who's a silly Monkey?
                Where's the tea party?
                And he also has a wicked laugh!

In the video the little girl does look like she's throwing him up and down, but its more a pull of the arms, she wasn't strong enough to work him the proper way!

Any other questions please feel free to ask
                Last edited by Heather74; 28-09-2007, 09:57.
                Heather

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and the info huggie74

I was pretty sure about the throwing thing... though maybe I was just too young to do it right either...lol.. I will remember to ask my Mum about it. Will also see if she has any photo's of it... i'll post if she does... it's likely because it went everywhere with me

Now you've listed the phrases "Let's go to the circus" is definitely familiar and I do seem to recall a laugh as well.

The "have a banana, munch munch" tune is still something I still come out with every now and then, and people look at me like I'm strange. Anyone here seen spaced? The simon Pegg comedy series? There's an episode of that where a bloke called tyres (I think it's him) sings "have a banana" in the exact style as my old monkey... always gets a big laugh out of me!

Comment

Hope you manage to find some Photo's.
                    Daz also found he came with a swing, which was another way of getting him to talk.
                    Heather

Comment

Comment

Hi, no photo's as yet but my Mum is looking I did ask her about the old thing and she says she remembers quite clearly it was a chad valley chatter chimp. That doesn't seem to tally on the chad valley front does it? I hadn't mentioned anything to her about it being called a chatter chimp or anything... just asked if she remembered anything about my old monkey so I believe her memory is clear on this. My Dad also agrees and they both told me where it was bought and how they were worried that it would be sold out before they could go and buy one. Apparently it was bought for my 5th xmas

Comment

As far as we could find out the "Chad Valley" Version was called "Jacko" , he was clothed but did not talk, the Pedigree and Burbank Chatter Chimps, were the talkings ones, not clothed, except for a tie around the neck, and came with a swing.
                          Having said that I bet he was sold in Woolworths along side the Jacko's.
                          Last edited by Heather74; 06-10-2007, 12:17.
                          Heather

Comment

my sister had a jacko monkey (think she still has him) she is 41 now
                            and my brother he had one that looked simmilar and he was called charlie, but neither of them talked jacko was black with clothes attached he had a stripey top if i remember but charlie was just fur,
                            none of them had bannanas though

ok just looked at the other thread and yep the 2 pics from Daz are the 2 my sis and brother had, but charlie (the brown one) came like that with no clothes and he didnt talk, he was from 70's-80's (my brother was born 72)
                            Last edited by jolima71; 06-10-2007, 16:53.
                            Those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it.
                            Those who live in the past are already repeating it.

Comment

Reading this thread was like taking a trip down memory lane! Monkey was my favourite toy ever and I had him from I was about 3 until I was about 7 or 8, when mum gave him away I want him back!!! :cry: I'll be keeping an eye on eBay but if anyone knows anywhere else I can look to get one, please, PLEASE let me know! Thank you so much JoyBee for pasting the link to the video of the monkey! It was FANTASTIC to hear him again!! Mine seemed to say "Have a banana, munch munch!" more than anything else! He also had the red plastic trapeze. Oh I'd LOVE to have another one for old times sake!!!! If anyone can help, please let me know! Thanks!

Comment

I had this chatterchimp as well and my memories are of him saying have a banana munch munch can't realy recall any others oh but the memories the lady who lived downstairs from me had a jacko and i loved him she used to say things pretending he was talking and i wanted this jacko so so much and although she was very good to me she would never part with him and she still has him to this day however for my 4th or 5th christmas maybe even my 3rd can't quite recall i wanted a jack like the lady downstairs my mum either couldn't get one exactly the same or thought chatter chimp was a better option and she got it right i loved chatterchimp nhe came everywhere with me and although he lost his voice i still loved him and loved dressing him up in old baby clothes i got from my aunties or cousins i was an only child and chatterchimp kept me company for most of my childhood years I also would love to own one again and have made it my mission to traul e bay till i get success thank you again for this wonderful site that evokes such happy memories best weekend I have had in ages

Comment

Working...
                                X