Marbles and their names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marbles and their names

I saw a picture of some marbles today and they had names I didn't recognise which made me start to try to remember what we called the different types of marbles at school in the 70s.

I remember the bigger ones were Queens, then the biggest were Kings. I think the white and color ones were "Emporers" or something?

Anyone else remember similar names for them?

Steelys the very big steel ones , Dobbers the big glass ones
    Ejector seat?...your jokin!

Comment

We had steelies but they were any metal ones (probably all ball bearings?)... but a large glass one we called trombolies, I have no idea why, something inherited from older kids. I think there were also aggies which were not your run-of-the-mill glass marbles. I did play marbles in the school yard, whatever you knocked out of a circle in the dirt you kept, but I don't remember the rules otherwise.
      My virtual jigsaws: https://www.jigsawplanet.com/beccabear67/Original-photo-puzzles

Comment

I remember the big plain ones were referred to as alleys (sp?) and smaller ones with two colours half-alleys.

Comment

yes I remember we called the plain ones alleys. The steel ball bearings we called ironers and any big oversize ones were called plonkers. There was a name for the plain clear glass ones with no coloured bit in them but I can’t remember.

The rules we had were slightly different to the norm from what I read
          each marble had a value
          plain run of the mill marbles were 3
          rarer ones were 6
          plonkers were 12
          some values were decided on before the game.
          From an agreed distance, you took turns at flicking your marble at your opponents until it hit his/hers, then you got another attempt . Each hit deducting a point off the opponent marble’s value.
          when you had taken all the value points, the marble was yours.
          Last edited by Semi42; 16-01-2021, 02:21.

Comment

I have a few of these balls left, my dad had a set in his youth, but most were lost. I don't really know the names, it was not my childhood. But somewhere such goodness lies in the attic. Just in case

Comment

I know that marbles were the currency of the school playground and that they had different names, but I couldn't remember most of them - some even took Hungry Hippos marbles to school with them to play...
              I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Working...
              X