The most timeless toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most timeless toy

What do you think is the most timeless toy?

It's either something really ancient and generic like a ball or, if you're looking for a manufactured toy, then it would be hard to vote against Lego.

Comment

Lego is high on my list for its timeless qualities. Pieces from modern Lego sets are compatible with pieces from Lego sets from the 1960s. A criticism I have of modern Lego sets are too many licensed themes (and I sometimes think that the theme is selling sets more than the toy itself) whereas older Lego sets are more generic - town, space, technic etc.

Rubik's cube. Despite it only existing since 1974.

Spirograph. It's been around since the 1960s but still selling.

Toy cars. They will probably always be around for as long as real cars exist. Like real cars, old toy cars effectively become classics and even slightly baffle younger kids.

Mr Frosty. I have never understood the big deal around Mr Frosty and why so many kids wanted it.

Plasticine.

Comment

Garden toys - like swings, slides, climbing frames

Toy swords. I think their popular peaked in the 1980s as a result of He-Man and Dogtanian, but they never really go out of fashion.

Some table games like chess and dominoes.

Felt tip pens and colouring pencils - although these are stationery more than toys.

Comment

It's definitely the classic Rubik and Klotski that I used to collect as a kid. I would love to play these two games. Now, I am learning to play Rubik 6x6.
          smash karts
          Last edited by Devlin5784; 02-05-2023, 18:35.

Comment

Certainly something that doesn't denote fashion or the Toy of the Year "here today, gone tomorrow" at Christmas.

I would say Lego - although there are new elements to the toy - (i.e. it can be modernised in order to accommodate recent things), the traditional elements also remain intact. Building a Lego house can be done just as much today as it could 50 years ago - and without planning permission either!

Dolls are often timeless as well - I am mostly thinking of Barbie and Sindy rather than the baby "Tiny Tears" ones. Growing up with sisters made me assume that!
            I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
            There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
              Felt tip pens and colouring pencils - although these are stationery more than toys.
              Does anyone still call them "fibre-tip pens" like my parents used to?

I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
              There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And ive never heard thaem called that.star wars figures the first release of figures.

I suppose other toys are i remember a fella who had them never opened.

Originally posted by george 1978 View Post

does anyone still call them "fibre-tip pens" like my parents used to?
                FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Working...
                X