• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas as a kid

a few of my most remembered are.

chopper bike.
    super nintendo
    nintendo aka nes
    star wars stuff.figures space ships etc.
    walkie talkie
    annuals
    MONEY.
    corgi cars
    music cassettes.kids now would be confused seeing them.
    board games snakes and ladders etc.
    masters of the universe figures
    sweeties.
    jigsaws
    FOR THE HONOUR OF GRAYSKULL

Comment

Originally posted by scooby365 View Post
      Great thread

Earliest memory is a space suit which was silver. Best part was it had a helmet with - I think - a green visor. Can even remember the smell of the helmet but that's probably because I wore it endlessly.
      I got a space suit too! It was bright shiny silver. It came with a helmet that looked like a motorbike helmet but it didn't have a green visor. There's a picture of me wearing it and lounging on my new Fraggle beanbag.

One of my best presents came in 1989 - a mountain bike. I'd asked for a BMX or a racer but for once my parents had their finger on the pulse and got me the first Raleigh mountain bike that you could buy. At first I was a bit miffed but mountain bikes were just at the cusp of becoming the next big thing and within a month I was getting envious stares from everyone! It's the only time I've ever been the first to get something!
      1976 Vintage

Comment

Scobby thanks for you PM glad it is your space suit, you can find a picture of the full catalogue page on the Thomas Salter thread

or here
        http://projectswordtoys.blogspot.com...as-salter.html
        Heather

Comment

I remember getting things like:

Action Man Talking Commander + Sharna Jeep with trailer and accessories, I wanted a 'proper' Action Man one but Mum and Dad said 'NO! TOO MUCH MONEY!!'
          Action Man German Armoured Car, again wanted the Scorpion British Tank....grrr, Dad got it cos it was in 'sale' at Trents in the run up to Christmas 83....
          Lego,
          Action Force,
          Remote control Jeep from Tandy,
          got another smaller RC pick up from John Lewis the following Xmas....still have both!
          One year I got Technic Polar Rescue stuff, the ones that had the cool figures!
          As we were Buddhists, we also got pressies celebrating New Year, and I recall getting some more Technic...
          The last Xmas I received stuff from my Dad was about 2007, he got me loads of Action Man 40th Anniversary reproduction sets...bless him.

My favourite Xmas of all was 1987, we watched Indianna Jones and The Temple of Doom in the evening and I'd received an Action Force Snowcat and a Cobra Stinger jeep...the day was just so nice looking back on it....

Comment

I love that SPACESUIT, I remember them well! Someone brought one in to school on the last day when you could take toys in.

Wouldnt mind one now still!! (Grow Up!!)
            Last edited by FLYING SAUCER; 26-09-2010, 00:43. Reason: spelling error

Comment

I remember in the '70s I got an accoustic guitar, which was great, but to this day I never really learned to play one properly.

The early '80s were probably the most memorable time for toys for me, which included -

Corgi Ultrasonic Wrecker
              Tomytronic 3D 'Thundering Turbo' (which I still have, and it still works!)
              Yellow plastic sledge (then a few years later when that got a hole in it, a maroon one of the same design)
              Matchbox Powertrack saloon car racing set
              Various annuals over the years
              Ideal 'Volcano' game
              'Kongman' 3D standing game
              'Tank Command' game
              Matchbox & Corgi cars (I've always liked these)
              Various ZX Spectrum games
              Falcon Mistral racing bike

It's a bit like a junior Generation Game conveyor belt, naming all of these. Didn't he do well!
              "We're the Sweeney son, and we haven't had any dinner!"

Comment

Being an only child I used to get far too much to actually remember what I got in which year.

My earliest memory was looking around the house for my trike and finding it in the cupboard under the stairs. Must have been about 3 at the time. The year after, my recently painted bedroom door stuck and I couldn't get out. Some of my presents were in a pillow case at the end of my bed including my very first action man.

After that, off the top of my head there was a train set, a fort with cowboys and indians, a garage, Lone ranger and tonto and horses, flintstones chipaway, chad valley projector with rupert the bear story, skull machine, shakermaker, Man City away kit, tracksuit, rugby ball, Starsky and Hutch police set, Captain scarlet maximun pursuit vehicle, 6 million dollar man and his rocket, action man medic and despatch rider with motorbike and sidecar, sharma jet fighter, subbuteo rugby and football, dr who and shiver and shake annuals (as well as numerous others), probably every boardgame ever made (almost), Dare - Human League, Absolutely - Madness, Not the nine o clock news album. That covers up to 12 years old. Can't remember much after that.
                Last edited by branny; 19-12-2010, 12:53.
                "GAME OVER MAN, GAME OVER"

Comment

As a kid growing up in the 60's, I remember at Xmas getting one of those selection boxes shaped like a sock.....it had that criss-cross webbing on the front....
                  Also one year I got a push along toy Dalek, and when you pushed him his "ears" would light up........
                  Every year I'd get a Dandy or Beano Annual............probably worth a small fortune now.....
                  Cheers
                  Sgt S

Comment

Let me see....

Every year myself and my siblings would pick a corner where we'd stow our "stash" of toys. Then we'd sit and look at the amazing stuff we had!
                    Most years i'd ask for Star Wars stuff, I particularly remember the years I got the Palitoy Death Star, the X-wing, the Millenium Falcon, the Star Destroyer Playset, the Hoth Playsets and the Troop Transporter. All different years of course. Although I do still get SW stuff for xmas even now!
                    12" Cylon, i'd seen this at a school fete and liked it, luckily santa had them too.
                    Tank Commander
                    Action Man jeep, motorcycle and sidecar. (both not Palitoy ones but I didn't care).
                    ZX Spectrum.
                    Atari VCS
                    Raleigh Boxer
                    Raleigh Burner
                    Demolition Derby game (which pivoted on a stick and you moved a plastic car with a bearing in to hit plastic cars which flew up).
                    Donkey Kong G&W.
                    MAC Mountain
                    Airfix Eagles "Mystery of the Pharaohs" playset. (Can be seen here )
                    Britains Space Series figures.
                    Computer games for whichever platform I had at the time (i'd bring my computer downstairs at christmas so I could still play my new games but feel part of it all too).

Lone Ranger and the different "Sets" for it, goldrush was one I remember. Of course, not forgetting this christmas:

I remember the horse's legs eventually broke so had to be glued (which was probably made from real horses ironically).

Mum used to have a notebook which had all the things we'd got since we were kids, she unfortunately threw it away about 15 years ago, that would have been fun looking through it, so many happy memories.

Xmas is still great though, I've yet to have one where I've only got "grown up" presents, long may that continue.

Comment

Hi all,

My first post here ♥

Christmas as a kid for me was always awsome. We only use to have a little celebration as it was only Mum, Dad my sister and me. The best christmas I can recall was when my sister and I got a bike each AND a Cabbage Patch doll

Comment

Working...
                      X