Looking for 2 PIFs/Safety Ads from 80s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 2 PIFs/Safety Ads from 80s

I am looking for 2 PIFs from around 1985/86- do these ring a bell for anyone?

The first one is a very strange one that features a mother and boy at a swimming pool, I saw this shown as a clip on TV-AM in about 1986. I asked about this some years back (https://forums.doyouremember.co.uk/t...-swimming-pool) and after further enquiries I now know almost for sure that it was a PIF- I've been told by more than one person that it was shown during commercial breaks and that they think it was about some sort of safety. The ad featured a bird's-eye view of a busy outdoor swimming pool, and to the left of the screen there was a mother sat on a chair with a little boy in front of her, and she was unfastening his shirt buttons and talking to him as she did so. (I remember her being slightly overweight with short black hair and wearing a black jumper and trousers. The boy was a typical-looking small kid wearing a short-sleeved shirt and shorts.) Anyway, she was talking while unfastening the boy's shirt, seemed completely normal at this point. (The boy didn't say anything- it was just a long monologue by the mother and the boy just looked straight ahead at her the whole time.) But after a while the mother suddenly changed her voice mid-speech to a funny voice, and continued talking while unfastening the boy's buttons, but in a funny voice (I believe from what one person has told me that she buttoned the shirt back up). The boy didn't react to this at all. Then after another few minutes the mother was just lifted out of her chair by nothing, hung in mid-air for a few seconds still in a sitting position (while screaming out still in a funny voice) then fell into the pool with an enormous splash. Most bizarrely of all, absolutely NO-ONE reacted to this- the swimmers at the pool (there were loads of them) didn't acknowledge a thing, and even the boy didn't react- just stood staring straight ahead at the chair as if the mother was still there. I have been told that this was part of a series of PIFs that featured different things happening and were apparently quite silly and comical in tone, but I still haven't found anyone who remembers for sure what this one was about, although it was quite possibly to do with summer safety. Does anyone else remember this or any other PIFs from the same series?

The second one is from about the same time and features a grandfather getting the living room ready for a visit from his daughter and granddaughter. He is standing atop a chair or stool adjusting the curtains when he sees the mother and daughter approaching through the window. They wave to him and he waves back, but when doing so he falls and crashes through a glass table, I think taking the curtain down with him, while the mother and daughter watch in horror through the window. I assume this one was warning elderly people about standing on unstable objects, similar to 'The Right Steps' PIF.

Anyone remember either of these? If I can get hold of either or at least gain some more information I'll be very grateful!

Re: Looking for 2 PIFs/Safety Ads from 80s

There was a PIF with the line "Don't laugh. It isn't funny!" spoken sternly after someone has fallen off a ladder/chair in the home, could that be from the second one?

Comment

The 'Don't Laugh It Isn't Funny' PIF was from the late 70s and was voiced by Patrick Allen, it featured a man falling off his ladder while painting and decorating. So not the same on as the one with the grandfather, but probably warning about the same sort of thing.

Comment

There was one with an old woman falling off a chair into a glass cabinet, done in slow motion with narration by Bill Owen IIRC.

It was hoping it woulf be on the Charley compilations, but it isn't, at least on the VHS releases.
        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Thanks Richard... may not be the one I'm thinking of but I'll keep a look out for it.

Comment

It's OK, I remember there was a closeup of a light bulb shattering, unless my mind if playing tricks.
            The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Well the second of these PIFs has shown up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFSRsig3Rfc

The first one of these with the mother and boy is still elusive, though I do believe it was from a series of adverts or PIFs from about 1985/86.

I've heard a lot about the "Don't Laugh, it isn't funny" PIF from the 70s as well but still haven't come across that one.

Comment

Working...
              X