Ad_Forums-Top

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1970s advertising hoardings (or billboards if you prefer)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970s advertising hoardings (or billboards if you prefer)

I am trying to find pictures of advertising hoardings of the early to mid 70s that would have been seen on the streets of Glasgow. So, this would either be adverts that would have been seen across the whole of Britain, or ones that would have been specific to Glasgow only.

In my searches I have seen some wonderful images which were mainly beautiful illustrations, but these dated back to the 1950s and 1960s. I think there was a bit of a massive swing towards photographed advertisements in the immediate lead up to the 1970s, not only for hoardings but also magazines etc

That aside what adverts do you remember seeing on the streets back then.

Re: 1970s advertising hoardings (or billboards if you prefer)

Originally posted by goodtimes View Post
    I am trying to find pictures of advertising hoardings of the early to mid 70s that would have been seen on the streets of Glasgow. So, this would either be adverts that would have been seen across the whole of Britain, or ones that would have been specific to Glasgow only.

In my searches I have seen some wonderful images which were mainly beautiful illustrations, but these dated back to the 1950s and 1960s. I think there was a bit of a massive swing towards photographed advertisements in the immediate lead up to the 1970s, not only for hoardings but also magazines etc

Mostly cigarette-based stuff - B&H etc

Comment

It's amazing that the tobacco adverts lasted longer on billboards than anywhere else - was it 2005 when the government prohibited tobacco advertising on billboards? I remember seeing a Lambert and Butler advert on there as being the final one to legally advertise on there, and it made an ironic point about the fact that advertising wasn't going to be allowed on there from now on.

Considering that billboard advertising can be seen by anyone in public including youngsters, I would have thought that tobacco advertising would have gone long before that.

One thing about advertising hoardings is that they give a certain time and place with regards to advertising - for example, when Google photographs roads for the Maps section, we can roughly guess when the pictures were taken by looking at what was on the advertising hoardings, a bit like looking at a commercial break on a video recording, or adverts in a newspaper.

I have seen someone who has photographed the same advertising hoarding over a period of six years or so, and put the images on YouTube over a few minutes. It's amazing how things change, and the different advertisers can be seen on there.
      I've everything I need to keep me satisfied
      There's nothing you can do to make me change my mind
      I'm having so much fun
      My lucky number's one
      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

And what was MORE O'FARRELL when we saw the name at the bottom of the hoardings? - Were they the company that made allowed the advertisers to use their hoardings above?

Any other advertising names such as that can anyone think of?
        I'm having so much fun
        My lucky number's one
        Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
          And what was MORE O'FARRELL when we saw the name at the bottom of the hoardings? - Were they the company that made allowed the advertisers to use their hoardings above?

Any other advertising names such as that can anyone think of?
          Shows how much notice I take of billboards these days. A quick search shows that More O'Ferrall has been rebranded as Clear Channel since 2003. Can't say I've noticed.

Comment

I did notice the MORE name disappear at some point in the early 2000s to be replaced with what you said there - as the YT clip I mentioned shows.

I suppose that only anoraks who notice advertising these sort hoardings and their specifications would notice these things.

One thing which is a bit more prominent is the advertising on the side of bus shelters - I wonder how many times when waiting for a bus to go shopping, someone would see something being advertised on a bus shelter prior to getting their bus to town, and when they reach town, they go shopping, and actually buy that product simply because they saw it being advertised on the bus shelter? I am certain that it has happened a few times. It's the power of advertising and putting it in the right place which enables someone to get to buy it. I do love some of the ironic advertising that featured on local double decker buses in the 1990s, sometimes referring to the fact that the advertisement is on a bus itself.
            I'm having so much fun
            My lucky number's one
            Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Anorak time: a few years ago, I used to photograph some of my favourite adverts on billboards as I went out and about. I believe that they are usually on there for around two weeks, and then are changed during the early hours of Tuesday morning?
              I'm having so much fun
              My lucky number's one
              Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by goodtimes View Post
                One I recall seeing in the London area, circa late '70s:

Loads of ciggie and beer ads back then:

Comment

Your pictures don't seem to be appearing on the screen, Agfagaevart - I don't know whether it is just me or is everyone else experiencing this?
                  I'm having so much fun
                  My lucky number's one
                  Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

One more time...

Attached Files

Comment

Yes I can see them now. Great adverts, although the tobacco ones could have almost been from the back page of a 1980s women's magazine or somewhere like that. I do remember them appearing on billboards.
                      I'm having so much fun
                      My lucky number's one
                      Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

I remember the Observer magazine used to have a lot of cigarette adverts in the 1980s.

One of the last campaigns by Marlboro on billboards had views of "Marlboro Man Country" mostly shots of small town America.
                        The Trickster On The Roof

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1978 View Post
                          I remember the Observer magazine used to have a lot of cigarette adverts in the 1980s.

One of the last campaigns by Marlboro on billboards had views of "Marlboro Man Country" mostly shots of small town America.
                          The Marlboro one could be seen everywhere, even in early Rec Room scenes in PCBH.
                          I'm having so much fun
                          My lucky number's one
                          Ah! Oh! Ah! Oh!

Comment

Originally posted by George 1978 View Post
                            Yes I can see them now. Great adverts, although the tobacco ones could have almost been from the back page of a 1980s women's magazine or somewhere like that. I do remember them appearing on billboards.
                            some of them did appear in mags, but I recall seeing them on the streets too.

Comment

Working...
                            X