Christmas Adverts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Christmas Adverts

One set of ads that immediately spring to mind when I think of ones that were shown when I was a kid can be summed up in one word...

"RONCO"

Nowadays I like the Coca Cola ads. How come things on tv are becoming less and less seasonal or shown at the wrong times of the year

Comment

I think its really sad how schools no longer do "traditional" Christmas concerts, not a sheppard,King or Star in site
      Heather

Comment

You're kidding! But that's what makes Christmas special!
        "Ah, nostalgia ain't what it used to be..."

Comment

Nope not kidding, and you can no longer take a video camera or take photo's anymore,sad but true
          Heather

Comment

Originally posted by SpiralCoolStuff View Post
            Our Tesco already had advent calendars and selection boxes. There'll be cards and deccies soon lol.
            I bought some mince pies the other day lol

Comment

No fly-blown Fairy cakes??

Comment

No, tis the season to be jolly now

Comment

Originally posted by Mulletino View Post
                  One of the things I've always loved was Xmas TV adverts (especially now I live abroad and really miss the whole cold xmassy thing) from the big ones to the many toy adverts that suddenly appeared on our screens. So as that time of year is getting closer and it's probably only about a month till the shops put their decco's up, here's some links that brought back some great memories:

Woolies 1981
                  Woolies 1983
                  Boots & Woolies 1983
                  Currys late 80s
                  Boots possible early 80s
                  Generic Toy Adverts around 1980/1 xmas time

I've just watched the quoted Woolies 1981 ad on You Tube. I remember that ad on HTV and Westward in the run-up to Christmas 1981, and never forgot the accompanying song. How that ad brought back fond memories of the time. It really takes you back seeing those again. I remember that Woolies were rather fond of unusually long ads in the run-up to Christmas every year 1970s / 1980s, that quoted one is 1 minute 59 seconds long. Must have cost a fortune buying the time on TV for that, especially prime time, when most ads were 30 seconds long.

To think then there was only one commercial channel in the UK: ITV (but better known then by its regional name, e.g. HTV, Westward, Southern), and 3 channels altogether! Channel 4/S4C didn't exist then. Of course all 3 channels closed down overnight.

Seeing Chevron cassettes in the ad, I remember those, when did Woolies last sell those? Must be donkeys years ago now. As for Home Pac furniture (flat pack, I think), I remember that too. I don't think Woolies have done furniture for 20 odd years now.

I also remember the freebie "Have A Cracking Christmas" Woolworths Christmas catalogue from Christmas 1981. It had a black front cover with a picture on.

One year later (Christmas 1982), Woolworths used the same song, with slightly different lyrics. Again it was a long advert. That year the theme was Alice In Wonderland, and their slogan was "Christmas Wonderland". The wording

"Have a cracking Christmas... at Woolworths"

was changed to

"Christmas Wonder-land at Woolworths"

Who remembers that one from 1982? Is that ad on YouTube or anywhere? The catalogue had a green front cover that year, with Christmas Wonderland in yellow. A separate thinner catalogue was included in the middle, "The Woolworths Book of Records and Tapes", just for records and tapes. Does anyone know why they put the records and tapes in a separate catalogue to the main one?
                  I am 13 ... times 4.

Comment

Originally posted by huggie74 View Post
                    Runs and hides before the frowns and roll eyes come flooding in, but this one always makes me smile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnsk5...related&search=

I know, I know ...
                    Awww I've just clicked on the link Huggie and it's been removed

What was it for?

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                      Awww I've just clicked on the link Huggie and it's been removed

What was it for?
                      Coca Cola
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogetBqMgau0
                      Heather

Comment

Ahhh thanks mate I LOVED that ad x

Comment

xmas adverts

I loved the adverts telling you santa had arrived at Goldbergs, Arnotts,Woolies, most big shops had a santa, I loved going to see him and enjoyed taking my kids to see him, its a shame they are to old now. maxine.

Comment

Working...
                          X